HP Photosmart 7515, 7510 (model C311a) Turns Off by itself (3611 Views)
Tutor
msklein
Message 11 of 31 (1,196 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7515, 7510 (model C311a) Turns Off by itself

I have the same problem with the HP 7510. If it is not used in a few days it goes to sleep and is unresponsive to the power button. The blue light is on and the white light glows dim and bright. Checked all of the settings on the printer and the software but cannot find a way other than removing the plug to have it start working again. I am running an HP dv7-3080us laptop with Windows 7 64bit and using a CISCO EA4500 router. Printer works fine otherwise. I see that thousand of people are viewing this issue based on the view counters so I hope HP releases an update soon.

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 12 of 31 (1,177 Views)

Hello Msklein.1

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-In-One Printer. May I ask you to perform the following steps to solve your problem?

-Could you update the unit to the latest firmware, just follow this steps:

Follow these steps to enable automated Web Services updates, and to update the product firmware.
Important : The HP product must connect to a wireless network with an active Internet connection to receive updates. However, the product does not need to be connected to a computer.
  1. On the upper left side of the HP product control panel, touch the Web Services icon ( ). The product control panel displays the Web Services screen.
  2. Touch Settings . The product control panel displays the Settings menu.
  3. Touch Product Updates .
  4. Touch Check for Product Updates Now .

Wait for any updates to download and run.

Please, let me know if after performing the Firmware update the issue is fixed. Thank you.

I am an HP employee, Printer/All-in-One Expert.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Top Student
Coach_Bob
Message 13 of 31 (1,168 Views)

I checked my firmare and it was up to date and this still happens.

Top Student
Indianaak
Message 14 of 31 (1,100 Views)

HP Photosmart 7515, (model C311a) Turns Off by itself

Hi, I am glad I finally found this site that has others that are having the same issue of this photosmart 7510 printer periodically not awakening from a sleep mode. Its like it will work for a period of time and then out of the blue it freezes up (no buttons or touch screen will bring it out of its sleep mode) and the only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in. Very very annoying. I'm not totally convinced that it is a auto power problem because just like others have said you can tell the power is still on by the power light and the Wirelss blue light still being lit when the issue occurs. When the printer is off no lights will show. In the Last 3 or 4 months, I went thru numerous calls with the HP reps going thru their long list of problem solving steps to try to resolve the problem but to no avail. So I ended up talking to a manager who sends me out a replacement reconditioned printer (same 7510 model). And at first I thought that resolved the issue because I didn't have an issue for about a month or so then out of the blue it started freezing up or just not responding again. I never at any time thru all this have changed anything in my wireless network setup or anything on my PC at all So now my case got escalated to a case manager who seemed to think it may be the power box adapter. So now he replaces this unit with a brand new unit (again same model) and not a reconditioned one, so this way I could use the new power box adapter. Nope didn't work, the printer didn't even last a month before it started freezing up again. So now I've had this unit replaced 2 times and all three units I've owed (the original and the 2 replacements) have had the same issue. So now I called back and get another case manager to see if I can just get another different model sent to me as a replacement because there is somethin definitely wrong with this 7510 model whether HP wants to admit it or not. Her reasoning of why this issue could be occuring was from my environment. No I don't think so, I think that is just a copout answer so they didn't have to mess with helping me out anymore. I have everything (PC, printer, modem) located in the same room 5 feet from each other. The printer shows full wireless strength and like I've mention before the printer does work flawlessly for periods of time between these freezes. So if it was something within my environment wouldn't the printer just freeze up constantly. My thinking of what could possible be the issue is it somehow being related to the scanning software. The reason for this is just the other day I happen to be working on the pc (unrelated to printing) and out of no where I got a error message that pop up at the bottom saying something about the scanner had gone offline and was not able to communitcate. (something like that, I don't remember exactly what the error message exactly said) The moment that this message appeared I thought about testing the printer issue and to see if it would awake after getting this scanner error. And sure enough the printer had frooze up. Well anyway the only option I was given by this 2nd case manager to resolve this issue was to send out ANOTHER same model replacement which would be just a total waste of time. HP needs to get their act together and solve this issue with this model now that I know others are having the same issue Tomorrow I plan on calling the executive offices and let them know that I paid out $200 for this printer and I expect a working printer not a part time working one. If they won't fix the issue with this model they better upgrade me to a model that works that is if they want me to buy any more HP products in the future. What I want to know, does anyone have the same issue with the photosmart 7520? Cause that was the next model up that I plan on asking them to replace it with. And I'm half way afraid to get even this model. If the 7510 has the issue the next model up may have it too. I will update my post after I talk with HP executives offices tomorrow and will let everyone know whether I'm still going to be a future HP customer or not.

Top Student
BartWilson
Message 15 of 31 (1,076 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7515, (model C311a) Turns Off by itself

Hi.  I'd like to tag along with Indianaak.  I can clearly see the frustration in his post as well as his growing anger.  I have almost EXACTLY the same problem.  I've "solved" it by turning the printer off and then turning it on again.  I don't think that's a good long-term fix because I need my printer.  I also need to be able to print when I've got my laptop in another location in my home.  Obviously that's pretty inconvenient if I have to walk back to my desk to turn the printer off and on.

I have downloaded all the HP software I can find (drivers, etc.) related to the 7510.  I have set up ePrint.  But my printer goes into sleep mode (I think that's what it's called - the power light is still on and the internet connection blue light is still on) due to unknown reasons.

By the way, the message I get on my laptop is that my printer can't be found.  And (get this!) sometimes I get that message AND a second message telling me my ink level is getting low.  Huh?  If you can't find it, how do you know my ink level is low?

I've been tinkering with this problem for about 5 months (I use my home office where this printer is on sporatic occasions).  Up until now I've always had an HP printer and have always been a big supporter of HP.  But, this could change my mental attitude pretty quickly.

Indianaak put up his post on December 11th.  If someone doesn't answer him (or me) in the next few days, I'm going to buy another printer.   I don't have the time to keep screwing around with this.  Here's the only "threat" I can make: I won't promise you my next one will be an HP printer (I guess that's not much of a threat, huh?  Oh well, it's the best  I can do.)

Top Student
BartWilson
Message 16 of 31 (1,076 Views)

Do you like your Cannon? I've reached the end of my patience and will replace my 7510.
Tutor
msklein
Message 17 of 31 (1,071 Views)

My 7510 also has the same issue. I was able to get it to happen less often by setting the sleep mode delay to ten minutes instead of five minutes. When is does happen only removing the power cord will work to reset the printer.

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 18 of 31 (1,060 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Everybody,

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your printer HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-in-One Printer - C311a.

I understand that some of you are experiencing an issue where the unit is not waking up after going into the sleep mode and that this requires unplugging the cable to recover the printer. 

HP is fully aware of these rare cases and we are committed to help you out. During the investigation of this issue, we have found that this issues are related to the customer environment -yes, please, I know that you had said that this is not your environment since your wireless network works fine, but please bear with me and keep reading- and its surroundings (other wireless networks, mostly from your Neighbors).

This is so far what we know from customers with this problem:

-The printer is in a wireless environment (no USB connection at all).

-There are more than one wireless network discovered by the printer (this can be found in the "HP Network Configuration Page" (Tools->Wireless->Display Network Configuration->Print Network Configuration Page, printer will print a report of two pages, second page shows the available networks to the printer)

-The network to which the printer is connected is having the same or close channel to other wireless networks in the area. This seems to create a conflict to the wireless in the product and create a problem.

Proposed solution:

-Ensure that your router for your wireless networks is using a different channel than the surrounding networks. Please consult the user manual of your router to change this setting.

Most of the routers in the US are shipped with the channel 6 as default, try to change it to a different channel that it is not used in your neighbor.

"Unlike television channels, some Wi-Fi channel numbers overlap with each other. Channel 1 uses the lowest frequency band and each subsequent channel increases the frequency slightly. Therefore, the further apart two channel numbers are, the less the degree of overlap and likelihood of interference. If encountering interference with a neighbor's WLAN, change to a distant channel. Both channels 1 and 11 do not overlap with the default channel 6; use one of these three channels for best results."

Take a look at this report talking about the channels in a wireless environment:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/qt/wifichannel.htm

I hope this solves your problem.

I am an HP employee, Printer/All-in-One Expert.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Top Student
Indianaak
Message 19 of 31 (1,049 Views)

***Update*** from my last post

Like BartWilson was able to tell, yes I was VERY frustrated and angry at HP LACK of admittance of their product defects and the huge number of hoops I had to jump thru before I could get my issue resolved. Yes HP did in fact resolved my issue by sending me an upgraded model 7520 from my 7510, but let me tell you what I had to go thru in order to get the next model up. I did, just like I said I was going to do, I called their executive offices to let them know about my issue that wasn't being resolved and how unsatisfied I was about the way they (case worker on down) were going about it. Basically their blowing off the customer with lame ass resolution fixes (like constantly wanting to replacing the customers defective models with the SAME DEFECTIVE printer models) Sorry HP that not resolving the issue at all, thats just pissing off the customers more, No instead they need to start listening to their customers issues, taking notes of which models you are geting a lot of complaints on, then dig a little deeper by doing some online board post research on these model to see if other are having the same issue. (yes that requires work HP) Do all this and take these issues to heart, then...THEN...DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT HP!!! Either FIX IT, do a RECALL on these defective products whether they are printers or something else or make it easier to be able to upgrade to a model that works instead of hiding these defective issues like you do with lame excuses and resolution fixes. Sorry I got off on a tantrum there, anyway after telling my issue and how displeased I was with the whole ordeal to....oh lets see... for the purpose of this post lets call this person Enett. She immeditately started arguing with me about it because I didn't report this printer issue to them sooner (EVEN THO I was still within my Warranty period when I first called them about this issue) And so they couldn't (or really what they meant is WOULDN"T) do anything but to replace the printer again with the same model printer. (which would of been my 3rd replacement) Thats BS!!! Yes correct I didn't call them immediately when it first happen. At first the printer didn't start freezing up for the first month or so and then after the first few times that it did freeze up I just thought it was a rare hiccup of the printer until it started happening a lot more frequently plus I also had other personal issues going on thru 2012 that was much more inportant then immediately calling them. And anyway SO WHAT if I didn't call them immeditately, last time I check the warranty is soppose to be good for a FULL YEAR!!! And again I called them on about the 10th month of my warranty to get this issue solved. It shouldn't matter if I call one day into my warranty or the last day into my warranty The warranty talk shouldn't of even been in our conversation. But instead of making the customer feel important by helping and trying to resolve it, she (Enett) decided to argue the issue rudely. So I was about to give up and just hang up on her but before I could she (all in one quick action) said she was sending me back to my Case Manager and immeditely did it without letting me respond "No" to the transfer.

So at this point I was so mad I couldn't see straight, I decided to wait for the Case Manager just to let her know that I was filling out a BBB report on them and to ask her to confirm all the names of people that I had talked to so that I could put that in the BBB report too. I also grab my Iphone and told the case manager as soon as she came on the line that from this point on I was going to record the rest of this phone call so that I could playback to all my friend, family and anyone else I could get to listen about how much HP really cares to resolve their customers issues. Well I'm not quite sure if my threats of reporting them to the BBB and/or my recording of the resolution were the reason for their change of heart. (and believe me I had every intention of going thru with these threats too) I mean if I can help keep someone else from buying from a company who has defective products that don't bother or care to fix them and then don't care to really try to resolve those customer issues, just blow them off with lame excusses/resolutions. Then I'll do my best to warn others. But you can't totally blame the reps and the management for their lame excesses/resolution because after what I have experienced with Enett attitute in the executive offices, I now know excatly just how much HP upper management really cares about their customers, so I can bet you that the employees are told by the executives to just blow off the customer with lame excusses/resolutions (maybe not in those excat words, but you know what I mean) Now I've had this newer model 7520 for about 2 to 3 weeks or so and so far it hasn't frozen up on me yet, but I'm not going to be convined until I see it go without an issue for another few more months. Again a few of those 7510 replacement printer I had did work without an issue for a month or two before they started in. Sometimes it makes me wonder if HP designs these product to start malfuntioning after a certain point or date on purpose, I mean this way they can screw customer out of more money by making them pay for extented warranties, phone support and repairs. It really makes me wonder.

So I'll have to update this post again in a few months after I find out if upgrading solved the issue.

Now I wanted to ask BartWilson that you mentioned that you fixed it by turning it off and then on again. Did you mean you used the power button to turn it off and on or did you have to unplug and then plug it back in before you could use it? I had to unplug mine everytime it froze. None of the buttons on the front nor the screen would bring it out of sleep mode. (or what I call defective mode) Also you shouldn't have to set the sleep mode to a longer time just to get relief from it freezing up more. Again its a defective product. We just need HP to GET OFF THEIR BUTTS AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. If this upgraded model I got starts giving me issues, I probably won't even bother calling HP, why bother going thru the hopes again for a company that just doesn't care. I'll just look for a better company who cares about their products thus caring about their customers. And that will include ANY HP products I buy

Tutor
msklein
Message 20 of 31 (1,029 Views)

It states that I have the latest firmware and there is no update. I cannot understand how the power button becomes nonfunctional. I believe that this is a saftey issue since it may not be possible to get to the power cord all the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation