Question

Honor Student
ChrisHK
Message 1 of 5 (504 Views)

HP Photosmart 7520 icon on Windows 8 desktop doesn't open

I recently installed the HP 7520 all-in-one printer on my new laptop running on Windows 8 (64bit). The software was installed to run wirelessly.

Intially the program ran perfectly. When I clicked on the 7520 desktop icon, the menu pop-up window would open allowing me to run the scan, fax or copy feature remotely. But then it suddenly stopped responding and failed to open when I cliked on the icon.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the drivers (supplied by the HP IT support), but all to no effect.

I can still remotely print a document from within an MS Word document, so there is a wireless link to the printer, but that's all I can do. I also ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor, and folowed its steps which successfully opened the 7520 menu and allowed me to run the scan test. But I still can't open th desktop icon.

Can anyone help?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (501 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7520 icon on Windows 8 desktop doesn't open

Hi,

Can you right click to the icon ? If Yes. what do you see at the bottom left of the screen ? Can you see all 6 icons ? If Yes, can you click to the LAST icon on the right or the FIFTH icon from left ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
ChrisHK
Message 3 of 5 (495 Views)

Thanks for response.

Yes, I can right-click the icon, but all I get is a pop-up window listing the: Open; Open the file location; Ping to Start; Run as administrator;  Troubleshoot comapatability; etc.

Nothing at the bottom left of the screen, apart from the existing icons that I have appeneded (Pinged?) to the Start bar, ie. Control Panel; Internet Explorer; Microsoft Excel; Microsoft Office Word, etc.

I have noticed that, at times, a message appears randomly at the bottom right of the start bar - appeneded to an icon -  that says HP scanner is not connected. This usually occurs at start up, I think.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 5 (487 Views)

Hi,

Sorry, for the first lot of icon, can you click to open "Run as Administrator" ? If not, Reinstall drivers would help. The message "HP Scanner is not connected" is a normal message, it will disappear when connected.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
ChrisHK
Message 5 of 5 (465 Views)

Thanks again banhein

I  already tried running as administartor - same result.

Have been getting "help" from Lenovo IT - as it's a Lenovo laptop - who assess it's a network connection problem. One of the programs I'm running appers to be blocking WiFi access to the icon's function menu. I'm not so convinced as I ran something called "HP Doctor" which managed to get through to the menu and got the scanner to operate normally. However, it still didn't rectify the problem.

Their solution to reset of Windows - not too keen on this. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation