HP Photosmart B8550 won't feed paper (2666 Views)
Honor Student
Mercsadies
Message 1 of 11 (2,666 Views)

HP Photosmart B8550 won't feed paper

I've had this printer for a while. Bought it brand new from OfficeMax a few months ago. I don't use it all that often ... but now that I actually need it, it won't print. Well, actually - it wants to print ... but it won't feed paper. It says there is no paper, I fill the tray. I hit ok. The printer tries again. Still sucks but doesn't actually grab anything. Comes back with the error message, no paper. I have tried shutting it off and trying again. I have held the paper, trying to get it to get it to catch. Nothing helps. I have even tried different paper sizes.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a fix?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 11 (2,630 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart B8550 won't feed paper

It is under warranty.   Here is how to contact HP.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ResourcefulRed
Message 3 of 11 (2,594 Views)

Hi, I am having the same issue... here is the kicker... when I asked for a printer status report it printed fine.  When I did a printer ink alignment it printed fine. 

I clicked "print" at the top of this webpage and it appears to try to begin printing - stops and then says "Out of Paper"  Load paper face down in Main Tray."  I tried to print a word .docx and it says the same thing.  As I was typing this a few minutes went by and the printer ejected the paper forward and out and reset the printhead.    Now it says "Welcome to Photomart Express" as nice as can be. 

In actuality when the error message comes up  the paper is stuck and approximately one inch is visible around the drum and should probably read a paper jam error. 

This is a brand new printer that came without the CD.  However, there is a download available at hp.com  I am running Windows 7.  The CD wasn't configured for windows  7 anyway.   Is this possibly a firmware or driver issue?

Honor Student
ResourcefulRed
Message 4 of 11 (2,589 Views)

Further information to prior post.

Running a test page will print. 

I set the paper setting to plain paper. 

Hitting "OK" does not resolve the issue.  Click "X" cancel and paper feeds forward and out. 

I downloaded and ran the diagnostic file for this printer. It found nothing wrong. 

It is HP 92 bright inkjet paper.   I am wasting paper and ink trying to resolve this issue. 

Here are other forums with the same issue without clear resolution.  There are more out there.  

Honor Student
A_W_G
Message 5 of 11 (1,753 Views)

My Hp 8550 will not feed paper from the lower trsy. What is cause.

Top Student
pegburke4
Message 6 of 11 (1,718 Views)

I was having the same problem just now, where it feed any paper just fine, unless it's HP photo paper, then it can't seem to feed it. I put a little force behind the paper (just a little, though), until it caught. Drives me nuts, but it's something you learn to deal with.

Student
72lemonfish
Message 7 of 11 (1,639 Views)

Remove the paper tray extender that tilts up and slides off, look back inside and directly above where the

paper sits using a pen light or flashlight, You will see 2 different arms that come down with 2 rubber

rollers on each arm, those rubber rollers are what feed the paper into the printer.  They become worn after

only a year or so of normal to heavy use. If you run mostly 8 1/2 x 11 the two rollers on the right will be

worn the most because they are the only ones that feed that size paper. The simple fix is to clean and

condition them with rubbing alcohol. It is a little difficult to reach underneath there, but if you wet a cloth

or paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe across all four of those rubber rollers rotating them as you go so

they get wiped completely around then they will grab the paper surface and feed the paper right in.

I fixed my co-workers home printer this way, he had only had it for one year after buying it brand new

and had the same problem. Now it works fine.

Student
dfuin
Message 8 of 11 (1,535 Views)

It works. It will be easier to reach the roller if you take out the cover at the back. Thank you very much.

Student
BobEnigma
Message 9 of 11 (626 Views)

I had this same problem. I thought it was the feed rollers so I cleaned and conditioned them. Still would not feed paper. It turned out that my problem was that the paper transport tray (grey tray) was not getting sucked into the printer far enough for the rollers to grab the paper off of it. I lifted the removable paper assembly off the front of the printer and slid the grey tray out of it. You have to first flip down a little black gear at one end before you can pull it out. After you have the grey tray out, use some very fine sand paper to lightly sand any parts of the tray that will rub against the inside of the tray it fits into. Then I used some wax based furniture polish to wipe down the same areas. Re-assembled and now feeds perfectly every time. The problem was that the grey tray was not sliding smoothly within the white plastic holder and it would stick just before it was sucked into the printer all the way. Waxing the plastic areas that rub on each other did the trick for me.

Student
jimathy
Message 10 of 11 (456 Views)

I have the same problem, for some reason HP printers do not last, I had to also replace the print head and HP is no help, they just want you to buy a NEW PRINTER and MORE INK and SPEND MORE MONEY and make them MORE RICH!!! Make a product that lasts and stop changing things all the time. HELP US FIX THE FEED ISSUE!!!

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation