Question

Student
vkgbooks
Message 1 of 2 (1,359 Views)

HP Photosmart C3100 Series

I am using different HP printers and one is HP Photosmart  C3100 Series. There was error free use of this product in last two-three years. 

Now its installation is disturbed. I hav e tried to re-install with the help of HP CD  -  Q8150-18010 but, not successful. The Error report is as follow:

HP – All-In-One Series

The Installation was not successful

Error report collection is complete. This information may be needed to diagnose the

Install falure.

Analyzing installation error logs

Gathering installation error logs

Creating installation error logs archive

Installation log gathering complete

Please click continue to proceed

Submit error report and search for a possible solution (optional)

HP customer support will try to fix this installation automatically, but first some information is needed about  what failed. Sending the error report will help HP diagnose  the problem

The document “HP Installation Error –XP” has been placed on your Window desktop.

1. If your printer is connected via USB, disconnect the USB Cable from your device.
  2. Click Continue to proceed with the installation recovery.
  3. After the recovery is complete, open the document and follow the steps to install your  HP Device.

You may delete the document when you are finished using it

However installation was not successful.

Please advise and also suggest alternates including replacement.

Thanks

V K Gupta

Teacher
curiousguy
Message 2 of 2 (1,323 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C3100 Series

Maybe try this steps posted by Rook777, nothing to lose:-

Deskjet F4440 Installation Problems

I've read a variety of posts here pleading for help for the same issue I had when installing this printer.  The installation would run on endlessly.  I gave it 20 minutes, then an hour, and then I left it running when I out and when I came back several hours later it was still installing.  It also locked up my computer (running XP) and I had to literally shut it off by flicking the off switch.

When rebooting, an error log was created by HP and submitted to the HP brain trust.  Then HP would uninstall everything, tell me to reboot, and when I did, and tried to reinstall, the same issues happened.

When I disabled my Norton Security Suite (including antivirus and firewall), I still had the same installation problem.

What ended up working for me was in the HP troubleshooting page that was provided to me after the error logs were sent off.  It looks like many of you disabled or uninstalled your antivirus and firewalls to no effect.  First of all, don't uninstall these programs.  Follow this step from the troubleshooting page and it will probably resolve your issue:

--

Step 3: Temporarily Disable Startup Software

If you were again unable to successfully install your HP device, you may need to temporarily disable startup software. Windows allows many programs and processes to run immediately upon startup. These programs may be preventing you from installing the HP Software. These directions explain how to temporarily disable these programs and processes while installing the HP device. (Step 5 below will explain how to re-enable the startup software.)

1.     Open MSConfig as follows:

a.    Click the Start button.

b.    Click Run.

c.     Type msconfig in the run box, and then click OK.

2.    The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears. If the radio button next to Normal startup is currently selected, follow the steps under Normal Startup.  If the startup option is set to Selective, follow the steps under Selective Startup.

Normal Startup

Selective Startup

1.     Click the circle next to Selective Startup and uncheck the checkbox next to Load Startup Items.

2.    Click the Services tab. Place a checkmark on Hide All Microsoft Services.

3.    Click the Disable All button.

1. Disable the Startup Items

a.    Click the Startup tab.

b.    Make a list of items that are checked. You will need this list to set your computer startup items back to what it was before.

c.     Click the General tab.

d.    Uncheck the checkbox right next to Load Startup Items.

2. Disable the Services

a.    Click the Services tab.

b.    Place a checkmark on Hide all Microsoft Services.

c.     Make a list of items that are checked. You will need this list to set your computer service items back to what it was before.

d.    Click the Disable All button.

Figure 2 – System Configuration Utility Window

3.    Complete the MSConfig process

a.    Click the Apply button.

b.    Click the OK button and a new window will pop-up. Click the Restart button to continue.

c.     Upon restarting your PC you will get a System Configuration Utility window. Place a checkmark on the “Don’t show this message…” checkbox and click the OK button.

Figure 3 – System Configuration Utility Window upon restarting your PC

Note

After completing Step 4 below, don't forget to restore the startup software that you temporarily disabled. (Step 5 gives you the instructions for restoring the startup software.)  Without restoring your startup software, your PC may not function the way that you expect.

--

Unfortunately for me, I had to go the selective startup route and it was a pain the butt to write down everything, but to look at it positively, at least now I'm aware of which programs are running upon startup.  This step ended up working.  Restoring the startup software was pretty easy.

So don't get too frustrated.  I would save tossing the printer from your window until after you've tried this unsuccessfully.  I am surprised that I had the problems that I did installing this software because I've never had this issue before on any other device that I've installed.  However, if you have a shred of patience left after a few hours spent trying to complete this usually simple task, please try the step listed above.  Hope this helps.

" If you find it helpful, pls click on the blue KUDOS button on the left -side of the screen as an indication "
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation