Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I tried your solution of doing the side punch and that worked for me too. Stupid design.

HP Recommended

I just had the same problem.  Thank you for your advice about the bread knife..   It worked.. I was trying to print photos and the extender opened and I couldn't get it closed.  A lot of work for one little thing... Thanks for the answer!

HP Recommended

Thank you!  At first I was leary of punching my printer, but the good punch to the side of the extender worked.  It's been sitting open for well over a year, and I'd try to close it every once in a while - so frustrating.  Love the simple solution!

HP Recommended

Thanks for tip. I had the same problem with the tray extender and your suggestion worked. Problem solved.

Thanks

HP Recommended
does any one know how to close a paper tray for a hp photosmart c4780
HP Recommended
I think it's the same as the C4680 solution. I have the C4780 and the paper tray extender was stuck open. I used the solution in this thread for the C4680 and it worked.
HP Recommended

i also faced the same prblm...its easy jst do one thing...get a big scale[ i used of of 30 centimeter ], slide it to the corner of the paper tray and the paper extender tray would easilly slide... 

HP Recommended

Thanks guys, great solution, my wife asked why did I need a bread knife.

HP Recommended

The "breadknife solution" suggested elsewhere in this thread worked a treat for me... I didn't try the "clotheshanger solution" but I reckon it would be equally effective (even though with a breadknife you are probably more likely to hit the sweet spot that unlocks the paper tray extender, so - if there are no kids around - I'd suggest that solution)

I was pulling the little hair I have out in frustration... come on, HP, sort out this utterly ridiculous design!!!!!!!!

EDIT -  I have a C4700 - not a C4680 - but both seem to suffer from the same design flaw...

HP Recommended

i have a c4780 and had the same problem, i read all of the thread, and when i finished i applied a variation of the side punch, i call it the side palm kung fu hit, worked like a charm

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.