Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

New 60xl and 61xl printer keeps saying it has a problem with cartridge. Have followed the HP cleaning and reset instructions. I am out of warranty any help?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi q2ubbq

Only the HP60 / 60xl series cartridges are compatible with the PS C4680, so if you're using a HP61xl cartridge then that's why you're seeing an error message.

If you're using the right cartridge and have stepped through all the troubleshooting steps outlined here then I would suggest trying with a brand new cartridge. If the new one works fine, then you could be entitled to a replacement cartridge ....you can first check the warranty ends date on the cartridge (see this page )

Hope this helps

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I suspect more than the "Print Cartridge Error" that it's telling me.   But ---

When I remove the tri-color cartridge,  I get the "Print Cartridge Missing or not detected"  - obviously, this is what I'd excepted.  But now I want it to use only the black cartridge,  which shows half full.  But all my print commands yield - silence - no action, as if it has nothing to print  and no indication of why.

When I bring up Device Services,  Print a Test Page, and Print a Sample Page - Work!  But align, clean, etc do NOT. 

Cycling on and off and shaking juju sticks yields silence - no printing or anything other than the Sample/Test print - which looks good, BTW..

If I return the color cartridge, after cleaning, cursing, pleading -- I am left with the "Print Cartridge Error" and then NOTHING works..

I dumped an Epson printer a bit over a year ago, replaced with this PhotoSmart C4680 - Thinking (wrong!) HP would give better quality --  Any suggestions on how to get this one working, Black only okor a better quality printer would be most welcome.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

I removed the three color cartridge and the error changed to "Missing cartridge" .. gave up for the day, only to discover that the next day - print jobs printed anyway,   all black - just as I wanted them.   Worked fine with just the B&W for about two weeks...

The three color cartridge was still full of ink (Ink Refill business tested it).. Bought a new one anyway, assuming another problem.    Installed the new one --- AND,  back to the "Print cartridge problem" again!!

Removed the three color cartridge,  and back to the "Missing cartridge" error msg,  and the printer still refuses to print....

Does HP support read these pages?

HP Recommended

Hello bobkrampetz

I can understand your frustration. I have a few quick questions. Based on your earlier post did you perform the contact cleaning? Also I noticed you mentioned refilled ink. Refilled ink is known to cause issues and could be a reason for this abnormality. When you say you bought a new color cartridge was it another refill? Also include any other information that may come to mind.

If you would like to read a quck summary on refilled ink check the article below.

Ink Refills

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Thanks Travis.

The previous color cartridge and this are/were refills -- BUT -  I don't need color.   I'm satisfied with B&W only.

When I try to Print a Test Page via the 'toolbox' - it says it did,  but there NOTHING printed.. 

Paper Feed Cleaning doesn't work..  No commands work,  and no error msg other than "missing cartridge"

All sent to the printer - quietly disappear..  Nada,  no printing.. 

Bottom line, I want it to work with B&W only.. or tell me why!   Diagnostics say all is fine

Printer worked fine with ONLY the Black cartridge for two weeks..   I made the mistake of putting the 'new' (refill) cartridge in,  to get rid of the 'missing cartridge message'    and it gave me the same message (cartridge problem) as the old FULL color cartrige - --  Which,  Yes,  I did try to clean - as well the "new" (refill) ...   But then,  even when I removed the color cartridge from the printer - it won't give me any output ..    Diagnostics just tell me that I won't get any color .. DUH.. But I get NOTHING.

Fustrations?!  You bet..   this printer worked for more than two weeks with only the one Black cartridge..  Now it refuses again to print. 

I've owned several brands of printers since my DOS 1.2 days, and I've NEVER had the problems this HP is giving me. This is my first HP printer -- and if I have to buy another (after 18 months) it will be my last HP.  

HP Recommended

Hello bobkrampetz

Which diagnostic tool were you using? I would suggest trying the following article to try the HP Print Diagnostic Utility if you have not done so already. There are some more steps below the Print Diagnostic Utility steps that may also help.

Print Jobs Stuck in Queue

Just to verify the printer is just sitting there and doesn't even attempt to pull the paper? How is the printer setup (network/USB)?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

I replaced my black hp60xl twice with officemax hp60xl cartriges (haven't had a problem with these before in this printer) I just cant seem to get the ink cartrige level to register. it keeps showing that the color is full but the black is empty. I replaced them both... I'm talking about the little graphic that pops up when I print something. color prints great but nothing prints when its supposed to be black so that cartrige is doing nothing. I cleaned the copper terminals and re-installed the hp software. Do I need a new printer? this one "might" be 2 years old!

HP Recommended

I replaced my black hp60xl twice with officemax hp60xl cartriges (haven't had a problem with these before in this printer) I just cant seem to get the ink cartrige level to register. it keeps showing that the color is full but the black is empty. I replaced them both... I'm talking about the little graphic that pops up when I print something. color prints great but nothing prints when its supposed to be black so that cartrige is doing nothing. I cleaned the copper terminals and re-installed the hp software. Do I need a new printer? this one "might" be 2 years old!

HP Recommended
Hello chrisreyno

Have you followed the article "'Cartridge Problem,' 'Cartridge Failed,' or 'Incompatible Cartridge' Message Displays on the Compute..."? If so there may be a problem with the printer. Despite the incorrect ink level are you able to print? Also are you using Genuine HP ink or are the refilled/re-manufactured cartridges?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.