Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm interested in hearing back from others who previously declared "problem solved" - this includes me. I have to say it continues to occur, but I always get it working again, knowing what the appropriate rain dance appears to be. I do find it annoying as, every couple of weeks, it seems like this only occurs when I need a harcopy asap. Eventually, I believe the only real solution is replacing a printer which I otherwise have found to be the best I've ever owned.

HP Recommended

Tried the link and got a message it wasn't found on HP site. Searched for it on HP site, found it, clicked on the link for the utility program and again got the message that it wasn't a current page on HP site. Anywhere else I could get this utility program?

I have tried everything else, shut downs, removing ink cartidges, and printer still giving error messages (pump motor stalled, paper jam, ink system failure, ect).

HP Recommended

I haven't had to use the link recently, although I did save it.  My printer has been working fine for a couple of months.

If I recall correctly, I got the link by simply typing the error message... I can't remember it at the moment....verbatim along with the words HP Printer on Google.  Did a search and came up with a number of locations, including the one with the link.  Might try that.

Good luck.  For what it's worth, I was having the problem repeatedly, but somehow, use of the link, I thought, I did get it going again.

I do recall shutting all the way down .....  including unplugging the printer... before trying the link.

HP Recommended
Don't give up. therei is a diagnostic utility from hp Look for it on google. do a search for "HP diagnostic tool for (your printer model).". dwmld. It's easy. To run. it will probably tell u nothing is wrong. Run it a few times. Then, pull out all ink cartridges and firmly reseat. per down and pull electric plug. restart. See if that works. mix the order & do it again. one of the above weld fr me. This model has a flaw-- intent is fldd w/ folks w same problem. I've used above together mine back online some three times. Since u r out of wrrty hp won't help. But they shed help u find te utility if u hv trbl. Gd luck
HP Recommended

I've tried all the so-called fixes, remove all cartridges, hard start, remove power cord ect. I don't even get paper jam warnings, just pump motor stalled and it won't do anything. this is are 3rd hp printer the last one had a glitch and my wife was offered this new and improved version. 2yrs later and we need to start shopping again. any suggestions for a good home printer?

HP Recommended

Try running this diagnostic a couple of times.  I ran it once, then my printer worked.  The printer, of course, went out again, but I did the power down, removal of cartridges, AND this diagnostic... something worked.  I've had to do that a few times, but it always gets going again.

When you go to the HP site below, you will find several utilities.  Download the one for the printer.  When you run it, it will probably tell you that printer is working whether it is or not.  But running it seemed to fix the problem for me once or twice.  The problem keeps recurring, but, so far, I've got mine back online every time...what with the diagnostic, unplugging, cartridge seating........  might be that some bad language directed at HP could have worked the magic!!

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

HP Recommended

Yep, mine has stalled quite a few times since my last post.

I've gotten frustrated with it to the point where I once picked it up and brought it down to my knee - just like the back breaker move in wrestling !  That didn't help in any way, BTW (and I was lucky enough not to have broken anything...) Still, I kept it and I decided to try something else after that violent episode.

When the "Pump motor stalled" message appeared the last time, I pressed on Ok then immediately opened the printer to access the cartridges. I then noticed the print head moving along on its rails towards the left. Knowing there are gears at the far left I started thinking that they had something to do with the pump (found no schematics whatsoever online so, it's pure speculation on my part...) and that maybe, just maybe, the print head wasn't reaching the very far left.  So, while the printhead paused ever so shortly towards the middle, I nudged it towards the left. It doesn't move easily, I had to apply some pressure and even then, didn't move much. And, I did the same thing when it came back the other way.

It seems to have yielded some promising results: the printer has been on now for a week and it hasn't yet given me the ominous "Ink system failed" message. It prints immediately whenever a task is sent to it, with no pre- or post- messages.

If it acts up on me again, I'm thinking of greasing the printhead rails a bit to see if that improves things. If not, I'm afraid it'll have to be surgery: take it apart and try to clean the nozzles, hoses  and tubing that are probably clogged with ink.  And if that don't work or if I can't perform the surgery, then I'm chucking it for a new one.

I remain hopeful even if this **bleep** thing is turning me in to a nervous wreck when I come to use it !

You know, I'm sure HP tech support have looked at this thread. But I get the feeling that someone at sales with the power of veto or someone in management said: "Do NOT reply or offer any other form of support. We're in business to sell printers, not help people repair them for a few measly bucks." Anyone with me on that ?

Good luck to all.

HP Recommended

I have used the "remove cartridges" trick several times to fix the offending Ink system failure problem. It always works but the duration of the fix keeps declining. I'm now doing it every time I need to print something because it fails almost as soon as I fix it now---within 5 minutes this last time. I barely got a 3-page document printed before it failed.

This problem didn't start until I purchased a double order of all the print cartridges so I would always have a handy supply, which is the reason I bought this printer in the first place, because the ink cartrdiges were supposed to last much longer than the older technology. The turned out to be a false hope. Then the scanner stopped working. So now I have a $300+ printer and a box full of ink cartridges still in their original packaging.

Sorry for all the grumbling, but I'm really unhappy with buying a new printer and supplies every few years. Money doesn't not grow on trees.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU for saving the day!!!! Of course this error occurred when my husband has school work to print and my 2 daughters are in the crunch to get 30 Valentines copied. Here's hoping this thing will hang in there a little longer!

HP Recommended

Don't count on it lasting forever!!  My solution worked a few times, but, recently, it failed.  I dumped the HP and bought an Epson.

HP should be able to post something on the web to either a) tell folks, you're screwed, forget about fixing this thing...  or b) here's what you have to do to fix it.  My feeling is that the problem could be solved fairly easy.. seems like a software problem.  HP's attitude (and I am confident they read these emails) seems to be.. out of warranty, tough.  They won't post a solution because they don't want to admit to a problem in so many units and, well, they'd like you to just get frustrated and buy another printer.

Shame on you Meg Whitman.

And, I will never buy another HP product again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.