Question
HP Photosmart C7280
Replies (32)

Honor Student
jwheel9862
Message 11 of 33 (6,606 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C7280

Hi my problem happens when I turn off the printer and shut down the computer. I come down the next morning and all the lights on the printer are flashing and I get an error on the screen of the printer B851FE84. Can anyone help or give some idea who to contact to fix this

Student
HowardCheng
Message 12 of 33 (6,531 Views)

Yesterday, I got an b0074d89 error with all lights flashing.  I did the reset and it worked for a day.

This morning when I woke up I got an b851fe84 error with all lights flashing again.

What to do?

Student
rnoble59
Message 13 of 33 (6,480 Views)

All the lights are flashing on the printer with code B851FE84 what does this mean ? And also I try to turn it off and on again does't help it also says it has lost coumiction with computer.

Honor Student
denking27
Message 14 of 33 (6,471 Views)

Apparently some defective components were used in the construction of the logic board (see photo). HP will not admit to this problem. They only recommed to replace the printer. There is nothing wrong with the printer, only the capacitors. On my C7280 there were 3 failed capacitors (the green cylinders - the puffed top indicates failure) and a 4th from the same manufacturer (TEAPO - many unfavorable web references to this manufacturer). I purchased 3x 330uF 16V and 1x 680uF 10v rated to 105 degrees Celsius (total about 60cents). On the logic board, the capacitors I replaced are labeled C613, C614, C660 and C662. If you are not comfortable replacing the parts yourself (or don't have a soldering tool), you will have to find someone who will. The time to repair should be less than 30 min - I did it in 25 min with only a solder pen. This fix stopped my printer from power cycling and also fixed the ink system failures the printer was having. Printer is working good as new.

859F1D1.jpg

Top Student
Nbat
Message 15 of 33 (6,468 Views)

Trouble is when you do this reset you have to reinstall the printer In all computers.
Top Student
jgammo
Message 16 of 33 (6,370 Views)

denking27,

Thanks for the info re: the bad capacitors. I removed the logic board on my C7280 and found that one of my capacitors had failed. I have removed it and am awaiting the arrival of new capacitors that I ordered from mcmelectronics.com, The one that I removed was a 6.3 volt and I am replacing with a 16 volt as you recommended. From my research, I found out that it is okay to use a higher volt capacitor. For anyone that is interested in removing the logic board, it is located on the right side (facing the printer). If anyone is interested in removing their logic board, I will be happy to share my experience.

Thanks again for you good post.

Student
vmaxlucy
Message 17 of 33 (6,310 Views)

Can e-mail your repair procedure for the capacitors.What is the best way to remove the circuit board.

Top Student
jgammo
Message 18 of 33 (6,278 Views)

Hi,

I will be glad to share with you how to find and remove the circuit board; however, you need to be aware that after I replaced the capacitor I now have no lights on the control panel.

Remove the black screw that is on the bottom right front of the printer. Then remove the black screw that is located in the compartment where the ink cartridges are (it is on the far right side and holds the side cover for the control board). Then remove the black screw in the back right side where the power cord connects.

There is a tab (actually the top part of the side panel) on the right side in the ink cartridge compartment. Lift this up and you should be able to remove the side panel.

There are four silver screws that connect the board to the printer frame. One is located under the white ribbon cable on the right side of the board.

I took photos to make sure that I put the various connectors back in the right place.

In defense of my printer not working now, I took the whole printer apart before I finally discovered where the circuit board was located. Hopefully, this information will keep you from doing the same.

Good luck and let me know if you have question.

Jerry

Top Student
jgammo
Message 19 of 33 (6,277 Views)

Hi,

I replace the bad capacitor on my C7280 and now I get no lights on my control panel. There are other lights on the printer, but not on the control panel. I have double checked that I have all the cables connected correctly and I even resoldered the capacitor.

Any idea as to what could be wrong? Thanks.

Top Student
Nbat
Message 20 of 33 (6,251 Views)

Are these capacitors all the same and if so what is their # and where can you get them. I guess I'll just replace the printer, probably with another HP although I'm ticked off at them . They just still seem to be the most solidly built as far as paper trays, etc. I may just try to work on this old one then. Of course none of the new ones use 02 ink. I won'tvever stock up on ink again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation