Question

Honor Student
slm78
Message 1 of 7 (1,008 Views)

HP Photosmart Plus B209 won't scan.

I installed my HP Photosmart Plus B209 on my new HP PC with WIndows 8.  It will print and copy but it won't scan to computer.  Error states "Try starting scan from computer"  But when i do that it says there are no scan devices attached/installed.  I downloaded the full feature drivers and reinstalled but it still does not work.  Please help asI use this feature extensivley.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 7 (997 Views)

Hello slm78

Try running the HP Print and Scan Doctor first. It is a diagnostic utility that can sometimes find and resolve problems. Make sure to take notes as to what the Print and Scan Doctor says.

If the problem persists, how is the printer connected to the computer? Can you scan using MS Paint? For instructions how, see the link below.
How to Scan: Windows 8
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
slm78
Message 3 of 7 (993 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Plus B209 won't scan.

Tried the HP Print and Scan. It did not find a problem. Tried to fax from Paint and MS Fax and Scan. In
Paint, the option to scan is greyed out. In MS Fax and Scan it says there are no scanners connected.
Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 7 (987 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello slm78,

Follow the instructions below to "scrub" or "clean" the printer driver from your computer. You can then follow the steps to reinstall the printer freshly. Let me know if it works. If it doesn't how is the printer connected to the computer?

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:
1. Type %temp% in the run field
2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
3. Open folder Util
4. Open folder CCC
5. Run the L4uninstall.bat
6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools
8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player
Adobe Flash Player
9. Download the full feature software and drivers
Photosmart B209 Series Full Feature Software (Windows 8)
10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Top Student
jjs1
Message 5 of 7 (834 Views)

Hello, I have the same problem and am stuck in a HP installation nightmarish vortex.

HP Photosmart B209a works fine on my new Windows 8 laptop when it comes to printing, but I can't scan - neither Windows fax and Scan or MS Paint recognise that there is a scanner connected. I have tried to reinstall the latest full feature drivers and solution centre for the product (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-109701-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...) but every time, after downloading and extracting, nothing happens - no welcome or installation screen, just nothing.

So I've followed the steps suggested here and elsewhere about doing a clean remove and reinstall, and still nothing. Every time I download the driver, it won't get past the extraction phase.

Any advice on this, or is there any other way to get the scanner function working?

Many thanks, Jack

Student
groundpower
Message 6 of 7 (765 Views)

I have the same problem.  I'm finding Windows 8 a very frustrating operating system.  It auto downloaded drivers for the printer because the B209 am is wireless and was turned on.  It is sad that HP did not include all the drivers for the all in one features (scanner) and clearly never ran any test on the driver function.  SHAME on HP.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 7 of 7 (758 Views)

Hi groundpower,

Here is the software for the B209 specific to Windows 8.

HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers

If you download the software and still have issues try the following links.

Scan error messages

The scanning device could not be found

Also, there was mention of not being able to scan from paint, this is an indication that there is a problem that may not relate to the HP software.

Check if WIA (Windows Imaging acquisition) is running. To do this you can follow this link it includes screen shots to help too.

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like further assistance

Sunshyn2005

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation