HP Photosmart - goes off line and disconnects from network randomly (1871 Views)
Top Student
thelittle1
Message 1 of 14 (1,871 Views)

HP Photosmart - goes off line and disconnects from network randomly

I have a HP Photosmart C7280.  My printer goes off'-line for no apparent reason and also disconnects from the network randomly.   I have downloaded the utilities, deinstalled and reinstalled the software - all to no avail.  Please help.

PhD Student
Dave_K
Message 2 of 14 (1,862 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart - goes off line and disconnects from network randomly

So the printer itself loses it's IP address at seemingly random intervals or it just shows as offline on the computer? Also how is it connected, wireless or wired?

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Intern
HPPRINTHERO
Message 3 of 14 (1,862 Views)

what operating system do you have? windows xp ,, vista or windows 7...?

i am hp employed but i am also speaking through personal experiences with printers i own as well
Top Student
thelittle1
Message 4 of 14 (1,857 Views)

Wireless connection.  I am using Windows XP.  The laptop shows that the printer is offline and disconnected.  It goes offline randomly and loses its network connection.  I continually have to power off the printer and re-search for the network.

Intern
HPPRINTHERO
Message 5 of 14 (1,851 Views)

[ Edited ]

when you run the utilites are you getting an "X" on connectivity?? if so run the wireless setup wizard in your setup menu on the printer.

run the print diagnostic utility HPPDU again after you connect through the wizard...

if youve already ran the wireless setup wizard and connected successfully let us know :smileyhappy:

i am hp employed but i am also speaking through personal experiences with printers i own as well
PhD Student
Dave_K
Message 6 of 14 (1,849 Views)

Connectivity issues can be tricky especially if its intermittent. If you can, type the printer's ip address into your web browser to get to the EWS. Then go to networking and change the IP address to a manual (static) IP address. I'll explain in more detail how to do this but what it does is prevents the router from assigning you a different IP if anything changes on the network which can resolve this sometimes.

More detail on how to set a static IP:

1.First find out what the printer's IP address is either by printing a network configuration page, or by running our home network diagnostic utility found here.

2.Type the ip address into your web browser to get to the printer's EWS

3.Click on networking. There you should see 2 options for the IP and DNS respectively. Select manual for both.

4.Go to start->run->type 'cmd' (no quotes).

5.Type 'ipconfig' and hit enter. (no quotes) This will let you find your network's dns address and default gateway. (Typically they are the same address.)

6.In the EWS use an IP address that shares the first 3 numbers with the IP address the printer currently has (I.E. 192.168.1) For the last number you can either use the same IP that you have or one higher in your available range (Typically 201 is safe to use)

7.Use the information from step 5 to fill out the rest and save changes.

See if this helps!

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Top Student
thelittle1
Message 7 of 14 (1,840 Views)

I compared the printer network config page with the ipconfig command.  The subnet and the default gateway agree.  However the EWS (what does that stand for, by the way) shows an IP address at the top of the page that agrees to the printer network config page IP address.  However the ipconfig command shows a IP address where the last two numbers are different.  The last two numbers are lower than the last two numbers on the EWS and the printer network config page.  From your post, it sounds like I should use the higher address in the EWS manual setting.  I want to confirm before I make the change.

PhD Student
Dave_K
Message 8 of 14 (1,837 Views)

EWS stands for embedded web server. However it sounds like maybe your printer isn't on the right network. The first 3 digits should usually match on the computer and the printer unless you are using a non-standard subnet mask. What is the subnet mask showing in ipconfig?

Top Student
thelittle1
Message 9 of 14 (1,834 Views)

The IP address on the EWS heading and the printer network config page are both 192.168.1.71.  The ipconfig command shows the IP address as 192.168.1.68.  The ipconfig subnet is 255.255.255.0, which agrees to the printer network config page.

PhD Student
Dave_K
Message 10 of 14 (1,831 Views)

Ahh, ok. Yeah the .68 is your computer's IP address. You're ok to proceed :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation