HP Solution Center won't load (48635 Views)
Honor Student
Message 1 of 38 (48,635 Views)

HP Solution Center won't load

It used to work fine but for some reason the HP Solution Center will now not load. I can't load it from the tray icon nor from the start menu. Whenever I try nothing happens. I've already tried uninstalling all the HP software then reinstalling the full HP drivers but this didn't resolve the problem.

I'm running Vista 32bit SP1 and have a Photosmart C7280 connected by USB.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Intern
PigVomit
Message 2 of 38 (48,646 Views)

Re: HP Solution Center won't load

[ Edited ]

Allow me to save you the 6 hours I just spent trying to solve the same problem.

I'm guessing you had a prior installation and uninstalled it.  I think that on some uninstalls, maybe all of them, for some reason the HP software is also uninstalling your Flash Player driver, or perhaps the whole Flash Player installation (I'm not sure which, but it definitely uinstalls the driver).

For a clean installation, go ahead and uninstall all programs.  Then go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer and install the current Flash Player.  Then reinstall the HP software, including HP Solution Center.

It should now work properly.

If you don't want to bother with a complete uninstall and reinstall, might just want to try reinstalling Flash Player and then opening HP Solution Center.  I did not try this myself.

Let me know if this works for you.  Might help others and HP if you post your operating system and printer model.

BTW, I'm using 32-bit Vista with a C7280 printer.

As an aside to HP:  Obviously your Uninstall module shouldn't uninstall Flash.  Additionally, there should be some sort of popup warning when someone tries to open Solution Center when Flash drivers aren't installed.

Message Edited by PigVomit on 12-03-2008 10:25 AM
Intern
PigVomit
Message 3 of 38 (48,590 Views)

[ Edited ]
One more little issue of interest....
I've found that once you have reinstalled Flash, then reinstalled Solution Center, once you open Solution Center for the first time, it will install an old, unsecure version of Flash.  You should go to Windows/System32/MacroMed and delete the old Flash 9 .exe and .ocx.  Leave the current Flash 10 stuff.
Message Edited by PigVomit on 12-03-2008 10:04 PM
Top Student
TMagritte
Message 4 of 38 (48,533 Views)

Thanks. I actually figured out much the same thing yesterday. It took trying to load the solution center as administrator (I'm also running Vista SP1 32bit) to see an error message come up complaining about a missing file: flash.ocx. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times but it didn't help at all. Then when I saw this error I discovered it's part of Flash. So I re-installed Flash 10 but it still didn't work! After a little more googling I discovered that this is the Flash ActiveX component and it's only installed if you install Flash through Internet Explorer. I usually use Firefox so had downloaded the standalone installer which apparently won't install the flash.ocx control. So I went back to the Flash player site using IE7 and installed flash again through that browser (without uninstalling the HP software). After that: Viola, everything working again.
Honor Student
Fletch
Message 5 of 38 (47,928 Views)

Thanks to both to you - this solution nailed it. I had uninstalled the HP software, reinstalled, and then it didn't work. I followed your instructions:

1. Uninstalled HP Solution Center (only),
  2. uninstalled Flash,
  3. re-installed Flash from Internet Explorer and clicked the ActiveX warning message to install that,
  4. reinstalled HP Solution Center, and it worked right away. 
I'm on Vista 64 bit SP1.
Student
jefffox
Message 6 of 38 (47,622 Views)

Thanks to all of you.  I just spent an hour on the phone with support over this...should have checked the forum first.  Didn't have to uninstall Solution center, just installed flash from I.E., (yes, i had installed it on firefox-at least i thought i did), and now, after reboot, it opens just fine...great job.  It also resolved another problem, my Secunia PSI had been telling my i had some flash 9.x residual on my system, even though i had loaded flash10.. once i installed through IE, that problem resolved also.

thanks again

jeff

Honor Student
singlemom
Message 7 of 38 (46,988 Views)

I have tried all of what everyone has said to do in this thread but everytime it starts to load i keep getting an error message module C:\Windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash9b.ocx failed to register. HRESULT - 2147220473. Can anyone please help hp techs are a waste of my time have spent 4 -6 hours a day with them before i saw this thread.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 38 (46,986 Views)

Uninstall and reinstall Adobe Flash player.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
singlemom
Message 9 of 38 (46,981 Views)

Tried doing it but still can't get it installed keep getting the same message.

Top Student
TMagritte
Message 10 of 38 (46,959 Views)

Make sure you install Flash Player from WITHIN Internet Explorer (IE). If you install from another browser or download the installer filer and launch it from Windows rather than from Internet Explorer then you won't install the file that you need. Visit the Flash player site using Internet Exploreer to get it installed. Note, you'll probably get a yellow security warning poping up at the top of the browser page when you try to install it, so you'll need to authorize the installation from there as well.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation