Question

Top Student
awakened1
Message 1 of 3 (30,912 Views)

HP error code

If you receive an error code from HP and then call customer service, they will talk you through it one time, then if it happens again, you are on your own.  But what they don't tell you is that when they are helping you with a code, they are actually setting up your printer to only accept their cartridges.  Due to HPs inflated prices on ink, I have always with all my machines used off market brands.  They are much cheaper.  Now I get this code and after using some understanding I have with printers manage to reset it, but when it is reset, it now only will take HP cartridges.  I believe that during my service call or through another portal, HP put a code in my printer to only accept using their brand cartridges.  this is not only incredibly divisive, but monopolistic.  If the service guy told me the truth, it would have saved me lots of time seeking this out.  Now I am stuck with a printer that is only drinking their liquid and my right to use a less expensive ink is null and void.  this type of deception shatters any good feelings I have about HP, and believe me, I will be telling anyone who will listen that this is going on.  Terrible, and shameful, HP!!!
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 3 (30,868 Views)

Re: HP error code

HP don't need to "put a code" during a service call, or through any other portal. they can easily do it when they manufacture the printer itself. It's what all HP printers are designed to do: accept genuine HP ink cartridges. Do you see Epson printers accepting HP cartridges in THEIR printers? or do you see Lexmark printers accepting Epson cartridges into THEIR printers?

If their printers only worked with HP paper, or memory card and cameras manufactured by HP, or can only be installed on HP desktops and laptops, then THAT is monopolistic. Using HP ink that complies with the technology that the printer works on is hardly monopolistic. Just because you cannot afford their cartridges, dont point a finger at it. they manufactured the printer. so they can decide if it should work with their cartridges or not.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
deepdenim
Message 3 of 3 (13,893 Views)

Re: HP error code

OK, so, when I purchase and drive a Toyota I can only purchase Shell gasoline exclusively for that specific vehicle? Or, if I reside in Los Angeles I can only purchase groceries from Safeway? Or, when I travel to Denver I can only fly Delta? As we, as a nation, continue to increasingly develop and implement more laws, codes, rules and regulations to enforce upon and control ourselves, we knowingly and unknowingly create the equal and opposite effect to our collective loss of independent decision and individual choice. The notion for HP to require consumers to purchase hp products exclusive to hp machines is a direct example of corporate design to control consumer decision and choice thus supporting the larger danger of corporate expectation toward generic consumer acceptance. Once we as consumers purchase an HP machine, who actually owns that machine? If I invested my dollars to purchase an hp copier, do I not own and subsequently control that machine? When I purchase a Ford automobile, do I not have the consumer option to use AC Delco parts or aftermarket parts to service that vehicle? HP must relenquish ownership and subsequent control of their machines at POS to the new owner and consumer.      

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation