Question

Tutor
acabiya
Message 1 of 15 (9,690 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP laserjet 5 C3916A

I have done everything I know to setup the printer and I have NOT been able to make it print. The only thing it prints is a long line of nonsense. It prints the following:emuvwtu|dtnldgommentdltdlewevnetdundtnldwetdtegetvotegt}offndtnldwetdtegetvoteg

If this means something I don’t know.  I downloaded lj632en.exe to install it.  It goes all the way through, BUT instead of a Test page or my documents it prints the above. What else should I do?

Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 2 of 15 (9,675 Views)

Re: HP laserjet 5 C3916A

Disconnect the printer from the computer and try printing an internal test page (demo/config - doesn't matter).  Did that work?  Yes - then you may have a bad cable or if using a JD card, a bad card.  It could even be a bad router/swtich/hub or NIC card depending on your setup.  Or you may have a firewall or antivirus program interfering.  If you need help troubleshooting a computer issue, please post back here and let us know.

If the printer still prints garbage when disconnected from the computer then the issue is more serious.    Try a cold reset by holding down the online button while turning the printer on (should only need to be held down for between 10-15 seconds, if there is a display on this model (as for the life of me I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look LOL), you'll see it flash cold reset or another message about some sort of reset.  This will return everything to factory defaults and flush the printer's memory.  If you have JD card, it will reset too. 

Also, if you have installed any memory DIMMS or PostScript or Font DIMMS, remove those as well as a bad DIMM can cause the issue you are describing.

Make sure the printer is plugged directly into the wall on it's own dedicated circuit (if possible).  No power strips, surge protectors or UPS devices!

These are generic tips for almost all of the older laserjets, if you do not get a resolution I can look further into the issue, but likely all I will discover is that the printer would need service if the above steps fail.

insert signature here
Tutor
acabiya
Message 3 of 15 (9,652 Views)

Thanks a lot.  By elimination I know it is the cable or the firewall.  I’m buying a new cable.  If for some reason it is the firewall or the antivirus I’ll appreciate your comments on how to approach these items.  The firewall tells me to add a program, but I don’t know which program to add?

Thanks again.

Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 4 of 15 (9,650 Views)

For that, hopefully someone more knowledgeable in that area is around. 
insert signature here
Tutor
acabiya
Message 5 of 15 (9,630 Views)

I changed the printer cable and did not solved the problem.  It has to be a driver or setup problem.  Can somebody help me?

I recently changed motherboard to a SIS761GX/965L I also have problems printing with my HP psc 1210 all in one.  Both printers are working properly, but none print. On the HP 1210 the error message is “System error”

Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 6 of 15 (9,646 Views)

[ Edited ]

First, what operating system are we working with? 

Make sure you are using IE 7, NOT 8 - roll back if you have to.

If you are using XP - did the issues start after it updated to SP3?  If you know when the issues started - remove all the updates since then and do a system restore.

Has any other software been installed when the issue started?

Once you tell me exactly what OS we are working with, I can give you some customized instructions on doing a complete removal of the drivers (it's easy but there's generally a few things that get missed in the usual way of removing drivers that can leave lingering issues).

Message Edited by frprinterwiz on 12-19-2008 09:21 AM
insert signature here
Tutor
acabiya
Message 7 of 15 (9,634 Views)

Thanks for your continued HELP.

I have Windows XP Home Edition.

I really can not relate to the installation of SP3, but it might.  I thought that the printer was not functioning well and I sent it to a repair shop where they told me it was OK, that it might be the driver.  SP3 affected my HP 1210 all in one which I replaced with the HP LaserJet 5 that I like a lot.

I have IE7, not 8

I installed SP3 so long ago that I think it will be very difficult to restore to a very old prior date.  If I have to do it, I’ll try.

Ready to explore all possibilities.  At this moment I do not have a printer which is a pain in the neck

Thanks again.

Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 8 of 15 (9,597 Views)

Have you tried the PS driver to see if that works?

Close all open windows and programs and restart the computer.

Once the computer restarts, disable any anti-virus, firewall, spyware or blocker programs.

Go directly here - do not Google, do not Hotmail!!  LOL

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

Download this to your desktop.

Launch the file from your desktop and let it extract.  Either pay attention to where the file is going or change the directory to a location of your choice.

Next, launch the Add Printer Wizard from the Printers and Faxes Window.  Install the printer as an LPT1 printer.

When you get to the select manufacturer window, click on the have disk button, then browse to where you saved the extracted driver files we just downloaded. 

Do not print a test page (unless you are connected via LPT).

Complete the wizard

If you are connected via USB then right click on the new driver that appeared in the window and chose properties.

Click on the ports tab.

Scroll down until you locate a USB port that references one of your printers and place a checkmark there.

Click apply.

Click on the general tab.

Print a test page.

No matter what happens, remember to reboot your computer before doing anything else because we have no protection turned on!

If this works then the driver included with XP is pooched.  There is a way to expand the driver file located in the driver cab file from the install media but I don't know what the name if the driver file(s) is or where it needs to expand to exactly.  MS would be responsible for that.

If this doesn't work, then you may have a spooler issue or a hardware issue with the communications.

insert signature here
Tutor
acabiya
Message 9 of 15 (9,539 Views)

I did the test and this time it printed nothing, just a clean paper came out.

What should I do know?

Tutor
acabiya
Message 10 of 15 (9,523 Views)

Hi Mr. Mason.

A Christmas miracle occurred.

I got tired of trying and changed the cable to the old original cable to do a final try with the help of my son.

While I was connecting the parallel cable, the printer suddenly gave a message:

22 parallel IO error  (Apparently fixed the error automatically)

The computer automatically created a new printer, I printed a test page and it PRINTED.

I really would like to understand what really happened, but it suddenly fixed itself.

Thanks for your disposition and help.  This is why I think that HP is one of the best.  They just have people like you available to help.

Thanks and I hope you had a Merry Christmas and wish you a VERY happy NEW Year.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation