How do I do a complete (level 4) uninstall of the printer software of a photosmart c6180 all-in-one? (5983 Views)
Top Student
mac41two
Message 1 of 7 (5,983 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I do a complete (level 4) uninstall of the printer software of a photosmart c6180 all-in-one?

I need to do a complete un-install of my printer, because when I try to un-install from the control panel, or the cd, it does not uninstall completely! Then, when I try to re-install, none of the icons are visible! and I am unable to see, or change the settings for print, scan, copy, or fax. I have tried to do the un-install,and re-install from the website, also. Can anyone help me solve this problem? if it will help, I am running XP Pro,  and Internet Explorer version 8. My computer is an HP pavilion model # m370n.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (5,949 Views)

Re: How do I do a complete (level 4) uninstall of the printer software of a photosmart c6180 all-in-

Since you have an HP computer I would suggest you only do uninstalls up to Level 3. 

The level 4 uninstall will remove all traces of HP software, which may remove more than you want, especially if you have an HP computer. I would suggest you do a level 3 uninstall as follows: load your driver CD and navigate to the util\CCC directory on the CD. There will be a series of batch files, uninstall_L1.bat through uninstall_L4.bat. I would suggest you run uninstall_L1.bat, then uninstall_L2.bat then uninstall_L3.bat.

I suggest you do not run the uninstall_L4.bat file.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Top Student
mac41two
Message 3 of 7 (5,937 Views)

Re: How do I do a complete (level 4) uninstall of the printer software of a photosmart c6180 all-in-

Your expert advice is greatly appreciated. You solved my problem

Honor Student
cowpiewis
Message 4 of 7 (5,930 Views)

How do I do a level 4 uninstall without a driver cd?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 7 (5,921 Views)

cowpiewis wrote:

How do I do a level 4 uninstall without a driver cd?

This will depend a bit on your operating system and printer model.  In general you would download the full featured driver and start the installation.  Next find the temporary directory where the files were extracted, typically %temp% and within that directory look for a directory created recently starting 7Z....  Inside this directory you should be able to navigate to the util\CCC subdirectory.  As stated above I would not recommend running past the L3 level of uninstall, especially if you have an HP computer.  The L4 uninstall may remove items that are needed for normal operation.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Intern
TomHoo
Message 6 of 7 (4,543 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Having a terrible time trying to install a c6180 on a Windows XP PC.

1) First I screwed up and connected the printer via USB before I installed the software.  (Had no disk, had to DL)

2) When I installed the drivers, things looked good except it failed to install and gave a "...printer name is invalid." Error and stopped.  Printer was not installed.

3) Tried uninstalling software and reinstalling drivers and got a desktop file (HP Installation Failure 27) with instructions and a dot4scrubber.exe to try.  Didn't work.

4) Tried the basic drivers and found they would not install over the full drivers because they were older.  So I uninstalled the full and installed the basic.  Didn't work.

NOTE:  at this point, I don't remember the order of events so I'll just list them:

*) Another failed attempt produced another desktop solution file (HP Installation Error - XP).  This file did not open because it said it needed Internet access which was not present - this was not true so another dead end.

*) Both driver files appeared to simply stop during "Installing Additional Software."

*) When I started, I had about 5GB of available space.  Each time I failed and uninstalled, about 500mb was not removed.  Now I have nearly no space left.  Where is the 4GB of abandoned HP installed files?  They need to be deleted.

*) Read about the Patch to solve the problem when a 1.0 GHz cpu is present (I have a 1.0 GHz AMD Duron cpu) and that the full set of drivers should be used.  Unfortunately, they do not install now.

The last I ahve tried is deleting printer files from the system32/spool/printer & driver directories.

Also found lots of abandoned drivers in Device Manager when I do the appropriate preliminaries - did nothing with these, way too many of them - would take a  long time to unstaill each one.

I'm hoping the C6180 is OK.  From what I have read, the bad caps are related to the On/Off/On/Off/... continuous cycling which mine does not do.  Mine does its diagnostic OK and copies OK.

Also had a PhotoSmart 7550 installed too and a 5600 all-in-on too and other HP printers.  Maybe too many HP drivers sitting around???

I think 100% CLEAN SWEEP would be a good idea.

Have also done the printer reset by holding 6 and # while plugging power supply cord into printer.

I definitely need help,

Much thanks in advance,

Regards,

Tom

EDIT: 

Oh forgot, tried to find the Level 1-4 uninstalls but could not find the temp directory used by the driver .exe files.  Searched all of C-disk for the "ccc" directory and could not find.  There was no 7Z dir in %temp% either.

Also, it is a bit annoying having to wait for the .exe to unpack every time I try to install.  Is there any way to save the unpacked files to eliminate that step which takes so much time?

ALSO, the "stoppage" of the driver installs maybe is not true.  I have the full driver (custom w/most software unchecked) installing and it seems to be running very slowly taking over 2 hours so far and is at 94% done.  I can't see why it would run that slow.  The hard drive activity light is just winks every few seconds - not very much activity.  That doesn't make any sense...

EDIT 2:

Full driver install was at 94% this morning which was about 6 hours later since previous observation @  94%.  Looks like the SW is stopping.

Student
jd6912
Message 7 of 7 (4,517 Views)

Hi

Im having problems too. I had the use of a HP Photosmart C309a a couple of years ago and installed all the software. I no longer have the use of this printer and recently decided to try uninstall all the software. I tried to do this from the control panel but it didnt get rid of everything so I found a program called Revo uninstaller which claimed to get rid of any traces of unwanted stuff on your computer. This wasnt true and and now every time I shut down and restart I get this trayApp thing on my screen. Anyone know how to get rid of this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation