How install HP LaserJet Color 2840 Networked Scanner on Windows 7 (64 bits) ? (48197 Views)
Honor Student
gpuberos
Message 1 of 15 (48,197 Views)

How install HP LaserJet Color 2840 Networked Scanner on Windows 7 (64 bits) ?

How configure HP 2840 Networked Scanner on Windows 7 64 bits ?

For the network print is ok but no for the network scanner.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=...

Honor Student
rdim2001
Message 2 of 15 (46,900 Views)

Re: How install HP LaserJet Color 2840 Networked Scanner on Windows 7 (64 bits) ?

Still have no solution for Windows7 64bit network scanner? Does anybody heard about any news?????

Student
Poikavila
Message 3 of 15 (46,485 Views)
Student
Damester
Message 4 of 15 (44,942 Views)

Re: How install HP LaserJet Color 2840 Networked Scanner on Windows 7 (64 bits) ?

All the links above refer to 32 bit support

It does not look like HP support Windows 64bit network scanning

Hope they can prove me wrong

Top Student
2k05gt
Message 5 of 15 (43,467 Views)

Anything on Windows 7 64 Bit Network Scanning yet? I really need to use my 900.00 HP Color Laserjet 2840...

Student
strategiz
Message 6 of 15 (42,847 Views)

After spending hours and hours researching, I finally followed the instructions on the HP site...and it worked.

Here's what I did:

Unplugged the USB connection from the HP 2840.

Downloaded the "full download" software as if I had Windows Vista (from the HP site).

Extracted the HP software file, and updated the five exe to run in compatability mode (see HP site for instructions).

Then I plugged in my HP device.

The device driver manager appeared and was trying to install a bunch of stuff. USB Mass Storage failed.

So I power cycled the HP2840.Meanwhile, I was doing a Microsoft Windows troubleshooting prompt (not sure if this had any bearing - don't think so).

But while this was going on, I opened Windows Fax and Scan. I clicked "new scan" and a new window appeared and fax & scan appeared to finally connect to the HP. This was the furthest I'd ever gotten.

Then I put a document in and whoala, it started scanning! I was nearly about to dump this machine off at the nearest HP sales office with a big note "Idiots - Windows 7 64-bit Compatability".

But now it's working. I will remain cautiously optimistic. The other thought is, why was this so difficult? Next purchase for a scanner will be a Brother.

David

Top Student
seglea
Message 7 of 15 (42,577 Views)

But was that over a network?  It doesn't sound like it if you were using a usb connection.

Me, I'm going to try and solve it by using the XP virtual machine inside 64-bit Windows 7

Top Student
seglea
Message 8 of 15 (42,557 Views)

After a good deal of messing around, I have a workable, networked solution for scanning with my HP2840 from a 64-bit Windows 7 machine:

1. Install XP Mode on the 64-bit machine

2. Either at Setup, or after installation, set the Network Adaptor on the Virtual machine to be the Network card on your 64-bit machine, not the default Shared Networking (NAT).  To do this after installation, click on Start -> All Programs -> Windows Virtual PC -> Windows XP Mode.  Make sure it is not running full screen, so you can see the Menu bar.  Click on Tools -> Settings -> Networking and select your Ethernet card from the dropdown box.

3. Use the Windows XP CD that came with your printer to install the printer.  Mine did not find the printer automatically - I had to specify the IP where it is located (so you need to make sure that your printer's IP is fixed - but that's a good idea anyway, so you can have a bookmark to it in your browser)

4. You should now have the printer installed within the Virtual machine.  HP Director should be available within the Virtual machine through Start -> All Programs -> HP -> HP Director.

5. Within the 64-bit host machine, HP Director will be available through Start -> All Programs -> Windows Virtual PC -> Windows XP Mode Applications -> HP Director (XP Mode).  Note that it is not, as any reasonable person would expect, within the HP folder in XP Mode Applications - don't ask me why.

6. To avoid death by a thousand clicks, right click on the HP Director program icon and pin it to the Start menu, Toolbar, or wherever to like to have things.

This does work.  To describe it as clunky, however, would flatter it considerably.  Like others contributing to this and related threads, I am a long-standing IT user, at least semi-professional, and I am not impressed with HP's customer support on this one.  Any laser printer should outlive two or three computers, and that means two or three operating systems - it is simply not good enough to fail to provide a proper, native solution for an obvious use.  Next time I need to buy a printer (or advise my multi-thousand-computer employers what to buy), I'll be suggesting a good look at Brother.  And Microsoft's documentation for XP Mode isn't exactly brilliant, either: I had to find out how to connect the Virtual machine to my host machine's network from an independent forum, despite Microsoft's trumpeting of the capacity to do exactly that in one of their glossy brochures about XP Mode.

Student
TheNanaMonster
Message 9 of 15 (41,175 Views)

Is this solution still working for you or have you encountered any complications?

Top Student
seglea
Message 10 of 15 (41,095 Views)

Working fine.  It was a pain to work out what to do and to set it up, but having set it up, it's no trouble to use.  The only issues are:

(i) It takes a long time to load.  But that's all right - I just leave it running once I've loaded it.

(ii) The list of drives that you get when you are saving the scanned documents will look a bit unfamiliar, because they have the names/designations that the virtual machine assigns them, not those the host machine normally gives them.  This could be offputting for a naive or very occasional user.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation