Question

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 11 of 16 (714 Views)

Re: How to change ink country?

henhen69 wrote:

[snip] and if your printer is i minute past the warranty date you are screwed!

This is absolutely not true.  

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
wooster
Message 12 of 16 (649 Views)

"This is absolutely not true."

You're right Bob...  you don't have to wait until you're a minute past the warranty date to be screwed!

I can't print status page using the original country cartridges because they ran out of ink!

I only discovered this greedy regionalization AFTER I bought the new cartridges, and now have a useless printer.

And, NO, I'm not going to call HP support... I'm just going to convince everyone I know that the only way to completely avoid this problem is to never buy HP products.

Just check out the comments:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1648662/hp-unlocks-printer-regionalisation

Or read the 100's of search results:

https://www.google.com.ec/search?q=%22how+to%22+HP+%22regionalization+reset%22

...HP tech support has no interest in helping unless you get a major news organization to publicize your personal case.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 13 of 16 (645 Views)

wooster wrote:

[snip] I can't print status page using the original country cartridges because they ran out of ink!

I only discovered this greedy regionalization AFTER I bought the new cartridges, and now have a useless printer.

And, NO, I'm not going to call HP support... I'm just going to convince everyone I know that the only way to completely avoid this problem is to never buy HP products. [snip]

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset".  HP's web page on the subject is here.  If you would contact HP you would find there are alternatives if the original cartridges are out of ink, depending on your printer model the reset can be done from information the driver collects or with the new cartridges.

In any case, if you refuse to contact HP you will fail to have your issue resolved.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Top Student
wooster
Message 14 of 16 (300 Views)

Bob_Headrick wrote:

In any case, if you refuse to contact HP you will fail to have your issue resolved.

Not true:  My issue is now resolved by NEVER buying an HP printer again.

This very printer has altogether stopped feeding paper, which has permanently resolved my problem for this printer!

This issue is very much like the 1-year Motorola phone warranty issue... if your phone is 366 days old, then it is almost guaranteed to be insecure, since Motorola actively prevents you from installing any bios updates:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.cellular/UqRG4D0k5BE

It's all about huge corporations going out of their way to design products that force you to pay them more, rather than desiging good and flexible products.

Honor Student
dwglider
Message 15 of 16 (162 Views)

This as nonsense! Just another way for HP to make money for what could be done with an instruction set. I can reset my computer without Tech Support and $15, **bleep**?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 16 of 16 (159 Views)

dwglider wrote:

This as nonsense! Just another way for HP to make money for what could be done with an instruction set. I can reset my computer without Tech Support and $15, **bleep**?

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation