Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

What should I do?

I enabled maximum security on the printer's display panel which locked all of the menus except for menu "Retrieve Job". I also forgot to enable the HTTPS web server, so even though I have an username and password I can't access the control panel.

I tried using the Service menu with PIN # 05401508, but there wasn't an option to reset the printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that worked! Thank you. I did a cold reset and now I can access the control panel.

The steps were a little different:

1) Turn printer off.

2) Turn printer on and wait for display to light up.

3) Press and hold "OK" button.

4) When option "Select Language" appears, press down arrow to find "Cold Reset".

5) Press "OK".

The administrator's guide for the HP P4015x says no value is set for "Cold Reset". I tried a cold reset for other HP printers and I couldn't get it to work. After that, I tried some other ideas I found on the web like reinstalling the formatter board, but those ideas didn't work either. So, I was kind of feeling stupid.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you know the printer's IP address, type it into a browser.  You should be able to access the Web JetAdmin tool.  I bet that has someplace to reset the control panel to default settings.  Let me know if you still don't see any way to fix it.

Thanks,

Tiffany

I am an HP employee!

Thanks,
Tiffany

I am an HP employee!
HP Recommended

hello,

Here are some instructions on preforming a cold reset:

You can also reset the NVRAM. Resetting the NVRAM will clear the page count and reset the service mode settings to factory defaults. On printers with a display panel you need to enter service mode to manually change the information stored in NVRAM. On printers that don't have a display panel, such as a 5P, 6P, 2100, 2200 there is a different procedure outlined below.

"Older" printers with a display panel. (e.g. 4000, 4100, 5si, 8000, etc.)

Cold resetting the printer is simply a matter of turning the power off, holding down the GO or Online button while turning the printer on.
Resetting NVRAM settings must be done manually through service mode. See entering service mode.

"Newer" printers with a display panel. (e.g. 2300, 2400, 4200, 4250/4350, 4300, etc.)

Turn the printer off and then on. When the printer begins its memory count, press and hold down the Checkmark button until all the main LED signal lights illuminate and stay illuminated. Then release the Checkmark button, and use the Up/Down arrow keys to find the Cold Reset option, then press the Checkmark button again to choose that option.

Please be aware that all previous setting will be removed and factory defaults.

Norm P

(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Yes, that worked! Thank you. I did a cold reset and now I can access the control panel.

The steps were a little different:

1) Turn printer off.

2) Turn printer on and wait for display to light up.

3) Press and hold "OK" button.

4) When option "Select Language" appears, press down arrow to find "Cold Reset".

5) Press "OK".

The administrator's guide for the HP P4015x says no value is set for "Cold Reset". I tried a cold reset for other HP printers and I couldn't get it to work. After that, I tried some other ideas I found on the web like reinstalling the formatter board, but those ideas didn't work either. So, I was kind of feeling stupid.

HP Recommended

Thank you. Worked like a charm.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

I executed the steps to perform a cold reset on an p4015x printer, but when the three lights went solid, the message that appeared in the panel display was "enter password".  I tried entering the service password, but it came back saying the password was invalid.

Any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.