Question

Tutor
CliffP
Message 1 of 11 (1,540 Views)

How to get rid of annoying pop-up?

[ Edited ]

Ok, even though my last 8 questions on this forum have gotten zero replies (not counting my shameless attempts at bumping them), I figured I try one more time getting an answer to a problem I'm experiencing.

About a week ago, I got a pop-up an update was available. I chose to install the update and from that moment on, every time I start Windows I get a pop-up asking me if I want to watch the HP Laser Jet (sic) Print Quality Optimizer-video. I'm offered two choices: "OK" and "Cancel". If I choose "Cancel", I get a window asking me when I want to be remembered about the video again. But even if I choose "Never", the window still pops-up next time I start Windows. Even watching the "video" (it's actually a slide show) doesn't get rid of the pop-up.

So how do I get rid of it?

On the earlier mentioned lack of support here (and I don't blame the participants for this, I blame HP), what is the best way to get support for my HP products? I have several problems with my printer under Windows 7 causing me to be unable to use my (all-in-one) printer for anything else but printing - and even that isn't working as it should. I've started a few threads about it already, but like I said have gotten zero replies.

Honor Student
hasselstromta
Message 2 of 11 (1,190 Views)

Re: How to get rid of annoying pop-up?

I am not having any trouble iwth my printer, but I am with you on this annoying pop-up.

This IS really annoying.

Top Student
Parker-san
Message 3 of 11 (842 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try clicking on Start, then in the run/search box type "msconfig". Select msconfig.exe and click on the Startup tab. Untick the "ScheduledLaunch" box by Manufacturere Hewlett Packard, select ok, then restart and you should be rid of the problem.

Top Student
Parker-san
Message 4 of 11 (841 Views)

[ Edited ]

Top Student
Parker-san
Message 5 of 11 (840 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try clicking on Start, then in the run/search box type "msconfig". Select msconfig.exe and click on the Startup tab. Untick the "ScheduledLaunch" box by Manufacturere Hewlett Packard, select ok, then restart and you should be rid of the problem.

Honor Student
liz2525
Message 6 of 11 (428 Views)

Hello,

I followed your directions to get rid of your popup and there was not  an exe to tick

liz2525

Honor Student
liz2525
Message 7 of 11 (427 Views)

did not work. still there
Honor Student
liz2525
Message 8 of 11 (425 Views)

No it was not successful, the pop up is still there and it is such an irritant.  Please get rid of it . Your instructions did not work so would you please get RID of it for me.   Thanks  Liz2525

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 9 of 11 (421 Views)

Hi liz2525. What version of Windows are you running? What is the model number of your computer? What is it exactly that is popping up, and when is it popping up.

<How Do I Find My Notebook Model Number>: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00033108
<How Do I Find My Desktop Model Number>: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07555

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
liz2525
Message 10 of 11 (415 Views)

Hi Terry,

My Model # is G60-231WM and I use Vista.

For at least 8-10 months , I am looking at it right now, a square blue pop up "An update is available. would you like to download and install this update now?"  It will not go away for weeks, Months some times.  I would like to know why this is ofered with no way to reply.  There is no way to get rid of this.  I have to keep moving it so I can see what I need to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,  thanks,  Liz2525

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation