Question

Top Student
TMichele
Message 1 of 8 (4,482 Views)

How to make my laptop recognize my printer?

We just got an HP 6310 All-in-One Printer. We have it operating with our desktop pc. Now, I'd like to know what I need to do to be able to print from my laptop without having to plug into the printer. I'm not a computer genius, so please explain in layman's terms please. I really appreciate any help at all.

Thanks!

Toni

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 8 (4,466 Views)

Re: How to make my laptop recognize my printer?

You're probably referring to sharing the printer from your desktop. Can you tell me what Operating System both the desktop and teh laptop are using? and can you tell me if both of them are connected to the same wired/wireless network?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
TMichele
Message 3 of 8 (4,442 Views)

Hi Dexter,

Yes, I want to be able to use the printer that is connected to the desktop. Both desktop and laptop are using Windows XP. We are using a NetGear wireless router for the laptop.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 8 (4,437 Views)

HERE's a very good document showing how to share printers in XP. It couldn't be more helpful IMO. Please look at it and follow the instructions.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Intern
raven_3r
Message 5 of 8 (4,411 Views)

here is the other way around in which you will need to connect the printer hardwired to youre router using the ethernet cable.

The next thing to do is install the software to your laptop computer and take note that you will need to select the network on the connection type.

And on your desktop you will need to reconfigure the driver so that you can install it throught the network on the connection type. After doing this you could be able to scan and print from your desktop and laptop computer.

Top Student
TMichele
Message 6 of 8 (4,393 Views)

Thanks so much to DexterM and to Raven. I will check out the document and see if I can follow the instructions. I will let you know if I can get it to work for me.

Thanks again!

Top Student
TMichele
Message 7 of 8 (4,391 Views)

Raven,

I'm sorry to say that I didn't quite understand what you are trying to explain to me. I know it would make perfect sense to someone who is more knowledgeable than I am in this area. I do thank you for trying to help me out though.

Student
lingerlost
Message 8 of 8 (2,063 Views)

How do i get my laptop to recognize my printer thats connected to my desktop, the desktop is running windows7 my laptop is running vista

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation