Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp All in One 5740
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

I recently set up my new printer w/ new internet in a new apartment and all was working perfectly for a few months. One day it suddenly would not connect wirelessley and could not find my network. 

I thought maybe it was because it had been low on ink for a while and maybe that triggered it to stop printing, so I replaced the ink. Still nothing. Played the turn on and off game with the printer and the internet...nothing. Tried to type in network and password...printer can't find it. This internet network has been working fine and has been since we first set it up, it just seems that the printer cannot detect it. 

Also, should it have come with a cable to connect it directly to my computer to print? If so, I can't seem to find it. 

I'm not super savvy with this stuff, so I need fairly detailed instructions on what to do next. Thanks. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @GreennBlack,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that your wirelessly connected HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer recently stopped functioning over your wireless network. I see that your printer is unable to find your wireless network. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. There is a chance that there was an update that ran on your network that may be causing your printer to be 'blocked' access like a threat trying to access your network. If this happens, usually a powercycle of your network is successful at re-establishing that wireless connection. With that being said, can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Powercycle Network:

1. First, unplug the power cable to your Router
  2. Once your Router is unplugged, turn OFF your printer
  3. Next, shut down your Mac computer
  4. After 30 seconds to 1 minute, plug your Router back in
  5. Next, turn ON your printer
  6. Turn on the computer

After a few moments your internet connection will return. Please check on your Mac to confirm that you are able to browse to websites before proceeding. Once you're able to browse to websites please continue to the next step. 

Step 2: Check Connectivity: 

1. On the front panel of your printer, look at the status of your blue wireless light. If it is a solid blue light your printer should be reconnected to your network. Please test printing. If printing fails, please proceed with Step 3 below to re-add your printer to your Mac. Once added, please test printing.
  2.  If the blue wireless light is flashing or OFF, scroll your finger to the left on the touch screen display. Touch Setup (nuts and bolts icon)
  3. Scroll up with your finger and touch Network (or Network Setup)
  4. Select Wireless
  5. Select Wireless Setup Wizard
  6. Your Network Name (SSID) should now display in the list. If you see your Network Name (SSID) please touch it
  7. Next, enter your wireless password. This password is case sensitive.

Once the wireless connection has been configured successfully please proceed to the last step.

Step 3: Re-add Device:

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

3. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

4. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer,

5. Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the Officejet driver is selected.

Image: Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

Once your wireless printer has been successfully added in to the Print and Scan folder please test printing wirelessly to confirm that your product is functioning as per normal.

• Note: Because a USB Cable is not required for wireless setup on your device, it does not come included with your printer.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you for your response but it still is not working. I have tried this multiple times and i get the same results as before. 

The SSID does not show up (no network names show up at all), and I have even had to enter the network name and password and it still won't connect. 

Help! 😕

HP Recommended

Hey @GreennBlack,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. 

Because the Network Name (SSID) fails to appear on your printer, there is the likelihood that an update ran on your network and caused your printer to be 'blocked' access. Usually powercycling your network corrects this issue. Because you are still unable to select your Network Name (SSID) on the printer I am going to have you perform a temporarily Wireless Direct setup. This Setup will help to prove functionality of your printers network card. Once we confirm that the printers network card is functioning as per normal, I will provide you with a list of ports to open and settings that may need to be adjusted on the router. Please follow the steps below. 

Step 1:  Connect Via Wireless Direct: 

NOTE: Wireless Direct means that you will be temporarily connecting your printers wireless card to your computers wireless card. Therefore, once the wireless connection is established you will not be able to use the internet on your computer. This is only temporary to make sure that the network card in your printer is working. 

1. On the front panel of your printer please touch the Wireless Direct button. It is circled in red in the image below. 

Untitled.png

2. Under the Wireless Direct menu touch the Settings icon 

3. Turn Wireless Direct ON 

4. Touch the House icon  to return to the Home screen

5. Next, touch the Wireless Direct icon again 

6. Take note of the Network Name. It should be something like Direct - Officejet 5740 

7. If there is a WPA or just Password displaying please take note of this as well as you may require it to connect to your printer. 

8. On your Mac please please click the Wireless icon on the top right

Untitled.png

9. A list of Network Names should appear. Please click on the Direct - Officejet 5740 network that appears in the list 

10. If prompted for a password, simply type in the password that you got off the Wireless Direct screen on the printer. 

Once the Network has connected, the blue wireless light on your printer should go solid. 

Step 2: Check Connectivity: 

Once the blue light on your printer goes solid and the Mac shows connected to the Officejet network, we are going to enter the Wireless Direct  IP Address off your printer to confirm that your computer is communicating with your printers network card. 

1. On your Mac please open up the internet browser. You may get a message indicating that you are not currently connected to the internet. This is normal so please just ignore this message for a moment. 

2. In the address bar of the internet browser please type in 192.168.223.1. Do not include www.

3. Search to this website. A website for your printer should now open.

• If a website for your printer fails to open: This may indicate that there is a failure of the network card within your printer. Please do not proceed with troubleshooting at this time. 
  • If a website for your printer opens successfully: This indicates that the network card in your printer is functioning as per normal. Therefore there is something in your router that is blocking the printer from being able to 'see' and connect to your Network Name (SSID). Please proceed with the steps below to correct this issue. 

Step 3: Disable Wireless Direct:

1. On the front panel of your printer please touch the Wireless Direct button. It is circled in red in the image below. 

Untitled.png

2. Under the Wireless Direct menu touch the Settings icon 

3. Turn Wireless Direct OFF

4. Touch the House icon  to return to the Home screen

5. On your Mac, please click on the Wireless icon on the top right and select your Network Name (SSID) to reconnect to so you can gain full wireless functionality back on your computer. After your computer shows as successfully connected to your normal Network Name you should be able to browse to websites like normal again. 

Step 4: Router Settings to Adjust: 

If you're not sure how to check or adjust these settings on your Router you may need to speak with the manufacturer of your router for guidance. 

Router Ports to Open: 

• Incoming (UDP) Ports to Open: 

137, 138, 161, 427 

• Outgoing (TCP) Ports to Open: 

137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500 

Settings to Check on the Router: 

• Mac Filtering should be OFF
  • Firmware on Router needs to be up-to-date
  • Firewall on Router may need to be OFF for testing
  • Network Name and Password should have no spaces or punctuation
  • Multicasting must be ON
  • Bonjour must be enabled
  • If you're using a Dual Band Router, make sure that the printer and your computer are connected to the 2ghz band. Printers are not supported over 5ghz band routers
  • Avoid connecting to Guest networks

Once these settings have been adjusted please run the Wireless Setup Wizard on your printer to confirm if your Network Name (SSID) appears in the list of available networks and allows you to connect to it.

Please respond to this post with the result of this Wireless Direct network card test. Best of luck! 🙂 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for these instructions. Unfortunately, when I go to the step to look for the network name for my printer on my mac, it does not show up on the list of available networks. 

😕

What does this mean and is there anything else I can try?

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hey @GreennBlack,

Thanks again for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Because the Wireless Direct network name for your HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer failed to appear on your Mac as a network to connect to, this leads me to believe that the network card within your printer is experiencing an issue. Therefore, I am going to send you a Private Message with the instructions on how to perform a Semi-Full Programming Reset on your printer.

Can I please have you refer to your Private Messages for further instruction.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I went throught he whole thing...set everything up like it was new again....still having the same problem I started with. Still doesn't find my network...or any network...typed it in along with the password...still nothing. 

😕

HP Recommended

Hey @GreennBlack,

I had my fingers crossed that the Reset would have worked for you.  :Crying:

Because your HP Officejet is still failing to find any Network Names and is not recognized through the Wireless Direct feature I believe that the network card within your printer is defective. The network card is a non-replaceable part. Therefore, to correct this hardware failure a whole unit replacement will be needed.

I would strongly recommend at this point that you contact our Technical Support queue by phone to explore hardware replacement options.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

HP Contact Support

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please advise the Phone Support Agent of all the troubleshooting steps that we have completed and the results of those steps.

It has been a pleasure working with you. I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Is there no way to just buy a cable to connect it to my printer when I want to print?

I only just bought this thing in February...

HP Recommended

Hey @GreennBlack,

You most certainly can! 🙂

You would just need to purchase a printer USB Cable. You would plug one end into the rear of your printer and the other end into your computer. Once connected your printer will be able to print and scan just like normal.

138200.jpg

However, you will never be able to use the wireless features on your printer (printing from tablets, multiple computers, phones, using apps, etc). If you don't care about those extra features, then a USB Cable connection will be just fine for you.

If you need any help connecting the printer once you have a USB Cable please let me know. 🙂

NOTE: If you purchased the printer in February, you have a 1 year manufacturers warranty on your printer. Therefore, you would be entitled to a free replacement printer through our Technical Support queue. If you decide at a later time that you want to pursue a replacement printer to gain the wireless feature back, make sure you do it before you warranty expires February 2016.

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.