Question

Student
TekNoob
Message 1 of 12 (9,584 Views)

Hp all in one officejet 4500 won't receive incoming fax

Help!!!

My fax cannot receive, but able to send. I'm confused???????? everything installed and setup correctly. my only..... problem not able to receive a incoming fax setup "auto receive" ring twice. we tried and tried to send a test fax no success. Our phone provider is Road runner using cable modem, and also use hp provided RJ11 wire.

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 12 (9,555 Views)

Re: Hp all in one officejet 4500 won't receive incoming fax

Hi,

The problem sounds like its the connection, as you state that you are using a cable modem. This will most likely mean you are using a digital line, while a fax needs an analog line. Ussualy it will work because of a converter in your modem, but you might need to do some settings in the aio.

So on the unit press the setup button and find the fax settings menu. Enter that menu and find "fax speed" and Error Correction mode" Set the speed to the lowest and turn off correction mode. Try recieving a fax then. If it still doesnt work try sending a fax to the machine and manually pick up the fax by pressing start fax.  

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Honor Student
ctallis
Message 3 of 12 (6,846 Views)

In case anyone runs across this thread - I had a similar problem, and after researching a little, tried a DSL filter in between my combination modem / phone converter and the printer.  Problem solved - faxes work fine both ways (sending and receiving). 

Tutor
Dr_Malcolm
Message 4 of 12 (6,236 Views)

[ Edited ]

See my "Solved" Post.

I am now using ECM and high speed.

Trick was to disconnect the phone from the Fax/printer.

More in other post below.

Malcolm

[Personal Information Removed]

PS - It took hours to find this.

Student
mitch220
Message 5 of 12 (6,171 Views)

I am connected to Optimum (Cablevision) triple play.  My machine faxes but wont receive.  Optimum tells me that they don't support analog and to go ahead and get a machine that supports VOIP.  Easy for them.  I ran a Fax Test and everything passes, but it still won't receive.  Is there anything I can do short of returning the machine and starting all over again?  Thanks.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 6 of 12 (6,166 Views)

Hi mitch220,

HP designs fax products, according to international standards, to work with traditional, analog phone services. The product might experience some difficulties when connected to phone lines with digital services. Check out the link below for troubleshooting you can do that may help resolve your issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01956630&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Student
anthonyharris28
Message 7 of 12 (6,096 Views)

TekNoob wrote:

Help!!!

My fax cannot receive, but able to send. I'm confused???????? i use century link as my phone provider but its a internet box what should do???

TekNoob wrote:

Help!!!

My fax cannot receive, but able to send. I'm confused???????? everything installed and setup correctly. my only..... problem not able to receive a incoming fax setup "auto receive" ring twice. we tried and tried to send a test fax no success. Our phone provider is Road runner using cable modem, and also use hp provided RJ11 wire.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 8 of 12 (6,043 Views)

Hi anthonyharris28,

Are you having a problem sending and/or receiving a fax with your HP product? If so, please provide details and I will see what I can do to help.

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
Frack-1
Message 9 of 12 (3,047 Views)

Unable to receive incoming fax. No issues with fax outgoing. All settings appear to be correct. My provider is Century Link ( Prism) ---DSL---. This is  a very frustrating issue--can you help ?

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
Advance23
Message 10 of 12 (3,028 Views)

Hi Frack-1,

I would like to help you with the incoming fax issue. Could you please send me the Model Number of your printer. Do you have a DSL filter on your DSL Phone System.

Let me know.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" by the Reply to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I worked on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation