I got a hp officejet 4500. it comes without the usb cable! they want you to buy it separately?! (9923 Views)
Honor Student
metalhead88
Message 11 of 25 (2,077 Views)

Re: I got a hp officejet 4500. it comes without the usb cable! they want you to buy it separately?!

Hi

I got this same printer for Christmas and I only just got around to trying to set it up. Mine is also they type that has no USB cable with it (says so on box - bad idea since it's necessary for installation imo!) I have only one Ethernet cable and it is being used. I have a death touch when it comes to computer cables so I am not unplugging it.

Anyway, Where can I go to get the missing cable cheap? Or at all for that matter.

Thanks

Provost
pcwizard
Message 12 of 25 (2,071 Views)

Re: I got a hp officejet 4500. it comes without the usb cable! they want you to buy it separately?!

Hi metalhead88, 

You can purchase a standard USB cable from Walmart, Bestbuy, ECT. Let me know if you need additional assistance.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
hpscam
Message 13 of 25 (2,064 Views)

Why don't they just put one in the box so you can use it instead of going back to the shop.
Provost
pcwizard
Message 14 of 25 (2,057 Views)

Hi hpscam,

Thank you for the suggestion about including a USB cable. USB cables are not provided unless it is required to get the printer connected, and there is no other connection options available. This has been the standard for many years now.

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
hpscam
Message 15 of 25 (2,054 Views)

the other connection option availale is via a data cable and they don't put one of them in either.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 16 of 25 (2,029 Views)

Hi hpscam, 

Ethernet cables are not normally supplied with the printers as this is normally provided by your network provider or internet service provider. Sorry to hear you didn't have either a USB or Ethernet cable available to setup the printer. You can purchase the cables at your local best buy or walmart stores. 

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
metalhead88
Message 17 of 25 (2,024 Views)

Late reply I know.

So are you saying USB cables for printers are of a standard size? For instance, can I use the cable from my brothes Cannon, or my mothers Lex...whatever it is?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 18 of 25 (2,017 Views)

Hi metalhead88,

You can use the standard USB cable with this printer. Standard USB cable can be used with many manufactures or printers.

I am an HP employee.

Student
akazi4736
Message 19 of 25 (1,873 Views)

on the box it says the usb cable comes seperately

Student
andie0983
Message 20 of 25 (1,677 Views)

Hi pcwizard ...

I'm hoping that you may be able to assist me. I was looking for help after getting off the phone with someone at HP and I came across your post ... I have an HP 4500 and have not been able to get it to work since it was purchased quite awhile ago. I've been frustrated with the setting it up and so have just forgotten about it until now  ... but trying again since we just got WIFI in our area. NOW I just found out from the supposed HELP line that did nothing for me that I need the USB cable you're talking about here that didn't come with my all in one. When I told the person assisting me that there was no USB in the box she only told me that I could purchase one ... she didn't offer to send me one. I think this is ridiculous to say the least. Every computer we own in this house are HP's. Two Desktops and one laptop ... all HP's ... which leads me to wonder where was HP's thought process not including this USB cord in the box? Other than $$$$$$ I can't think of one ... I'd like to have my faith restored here in HP and the way they do business ... Please help me out here and let me know how to get the USB that should have been included in the box in the first place ...

Thanks for your time reading and hopefully responding to this ...

M. Calderone

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation