Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
8610 printer
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I lost the admin password to my Hp 8610 printer.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @bDannyman,

I understand that you have misplaced the Administrator Password that you had set up on your HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you today with resetting the password on your HP Officejet.

Unfortunately, the password is set within the programming on your printer. Therefore, in order to reset the password to allow you to utilize all features of your machine again, we are going to have to run a Semi-Full Programming Reset. This reset will cause your printer to 'think' it's starting up for the very first time again.

Please refer to your Private Messages for the instructions on how to perform the Semi-Full Reset.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Hello @bDannyman,

I understand that you have misplaced the Administrator Password that you had set up on your HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you today with resetting the password on your HP Officejet.

Unfortunately, the password is set within the programming on your printer. Therefore, in order to reset the password to allow you to utilize all features of your machine again, we are going to have to run a Semi-Full Programming Reset. This reset will cause your printer to 'think' it's starting up for the very first time again.

Please refer to your Private Messages for the instructions on how to perform the Semi-Full Reset.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help.  I'm glad to be a part of the community!

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same issue. I have done the Semi-Full programming reset, but I am still prompted on the EWS page to put in a user and password. Is there a default one I should be using then to regain access? Please help?

HP Recommended

Hey @gmhislc,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that the Embedded Web Server (EWS) for your HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer is prompting you for a Username and Password. I would like to offer my assistance today with resolving this issue. Because this is a consumer level home and home office grade printer it does not come programmed with any Administrator locks or settings. However, these Administrator settings and locks are available to configure manually on the machine. Therefore, there is no default Username or Password for your product.

The Semi-Full Reset for your product is not for public use. Therefore, the instructions will not be printed on any documentation for your product. You must touch certain areas on the touchscreen to access the Support Menu to perform the Reset.

• Does the Support Menu Reset sound familiar to you? I'm curious as you may have performed a Reset on your printer, but it may not have been the Semi-Full Reset. If you aren't sure if you have run the correct Semi-Full Reset I can send you the instructions via Private Message.

I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I found the way to get to that menu through another chat forum. So I am pretty sure I did the correct Semi-Full reset. But maybe send me the instructions just to be safe. I just need to know what is the default user and password that it is prompting me for when I get to the EWS server page.

HP Recommended

Hey @gmhislc,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

As I mentioned in my prior post, there is no default Username or Password for your product.

At this time I am going to send you a Private Message with the instructions on how to perform a Semi-Full Programming Reset on your HP Officejet. Please refer to your Private Messages for further instruction.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I just purchased an 8610 Officejet from bestbuy, and I set a long generated password, since then, I've been unable to log in to even disable it.  Maybe I put in a password that was too long, and validation let it through, I've tried shorters ones with no luck getting on.

I've tried the Semi-Full Reset from the Resets menu, and it was not good enough.

I did the hitting back arrow four times to get the supports menu, selected Resets menu, and then selected Semi-Full Reset.  The system powered off, and I powered it back on.  This didn't work

I also did the hitting back arrow four times to get the supports menu, selected Resets menu, and then selected Semi-Full Reset.  The system powered off, >I unplugged the power cable from the wall<, waited 5 minutes, plugged it back into the wall and I powered it back on.  This didn't work either.

The firmware version is AuthChk reports:

1. Server:
    HP HTTP Server; HP HP Officejet Pro 8610 - A7F64A; Serial Number: >>>censored<<<< ; Built:Fri Jan 09, 2015 04:48:51PM {FDP1CN1502AR}

HP Recommended

Hey @CuTeboi,

Welcome to the thread! 🙂

I understand that your HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer is not accepting the Administrator Password that you had created for it. The Semi-Full Programming Reset that you had performed on the printer would normally clear the password for you and give you a nice clean slate to work with on the printer. After the Semi-Full Programming Reset was complete you should then be able to reconfigure the network connection on your printer and access the printers Embedded Web Server to create a new Ascii friendly format password with the maximum of 16 characters. Because the Semi-Full Reset you attempted failed to reset the Administrator credentials on your printer the next step would be to contact our Technical Support queue by phone to explore hardware options as the issue that you're experiencing with the failed Resets and locked password is likely due to a Firmware programming issue in your product.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

HP Contact Support

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number (A7F64A) on the right.

(2) Choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please call the support number provided. Once you speak with the Agent please advise them of the Semi-Full Reset that you have attempted twice to no avail. Also, please let the Agent know that your HP Officejet is currently running the newest version of Firmware.

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums. I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Please I also lost the admin username and password and would like the reset sent to me.  

Thanks so much, have a great day!

Kindest Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.