INK LEVEL INDICATOR (12718 Views)
Honor Student
SE7VEN
Message 1 of 6 (12,718 Views)

INK LEVEL INDICATOR

Have HP Deskjet 3650 printer.   Updated computer to HP s3620f with Windows Vista few months back

When ink cartdriges nearly empty I would get warning. I could previously view ink levels for both color and black.  Now ink dried out and I received no msg.  Seems like I've lost that feature.  Is it Vista or did I not update printer properly?

Top Student
Assistant
Message 2 of 6 (12,662 Views)

Re: INK LEVEL INDICATOR

Hi,

Let me share this information with you that as the printer uses the "integrated driver" in Vista, which has the basic capability of producing simple print jobs, that is why you are not able to check the ink level of the cartridges.

The printer uses a special feature called the bi-directional communication which helps to check/monitor the ink level of the cartridges. Further, the bi-directional communication feature is found with the "full feature printer driver". As there is no such downloadable full feature printer driver released from HP, you would not be able to check the ink level as long as you are using Vista.

However, there is an alternate way of checking the ink level which you may opt and that is by printing an self test page report as mentioned below:

1. Hold the power button down with a pencil.

2. Open and close the top cover four times.

Now the printer would print a self test report page which will contain the level of ink in the cartridges (in percentage).

Hope that I have addressed your issue, however, we have to admit that there is technical limitation with every old product with respect to technological advancement. Isn't it ?

With best regards,

Assistant.

Honor Student
SE7VEN
Message 3 of 6 (12,618 Views)

Thanks Assistant, for your help.  Frustrating attempting to locate answer.  Where did you ever read that to check ink level one

must

"Open and close the top cover four times"

Again, thanks

Top Student
Assistant
Message 4 of 6 (12,590 Views)

Hello Se7ven,

Thank you for your response.

First, I would like to correct myself that the ink level will not be shown as percentage. As per your original post, if you are using the HP deskjet 3650 printer, then while printing the printer self test page or diagnostic test page, it will produce 4 color grids: black, cyan, magenta and yellow. You have to assume the level of ink in the cartridges by observing the grids that are printed there.  I am also with the same openion that there is no valid documentation available on this issue.

You may refer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=304535&docname=bpd07098#N1285

Note: Please go through the section: "HP Deskjet 3000 series printers".

However, I would once again clarify this fact that the method stated above is just an alternate way of checking the ink level as there is no Windows Vista compatible full feature driver available for this printer.

With best regards,

Assistant.

Student
firemechanic
Message 5 of 6 (10,000 Views)

[ Edited ]

well here's another issue with vista, before i could read my ink levels on my printer and now i find out that there are no previsions in vista for monitering the ink levels ever though my printer has the software to do this, One more reason why  Hewlitt Packard should send out Window 7 upgrade disks so everything will work correctly, any luck in that happening  ??

Mark Belden Sr

[text removed for privacy]

Top Student
harvey5860
Message 6 of 6 (7,703 Views)

Thanks.. it worked perfectly!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation