Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Getting error message for ink system failure (0xc18a0306) on my C6180 all-in-one.  Contacted HP support by email and have received multiple promises of a call-back to resolve problem.  It's been four days, and I'm still waiting.  Tried calling them and was told I'm out of warranty and probably can't be fixed anyway.  Is there really no solution?  I'm really frustrated with HP support.  Thanks for any help.

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

I don't know if you've found the answer to help you, but I just had the same problem and was about to toss my printer and buy a new one.  Literally, just before I headed to store to buy, I came across this solution.  It actually worked (I found many, including at hp that did not).  I don't know how permanent the fix is, but hey, it works for now.  Best of luck:

1. press * and # to enter a secret support menu.

2. Enter code 123

3. Press Right button until “System Config Menu”. Press OK.

4. Hardware Failure Status. Press OK

5. Press OK to Clear.

6. Cancel

7. Press Right button to Ink Initialization Status. Press OK

8. Cancel and Cancel to the secret support main menu.

9. Press Right button until “Print Tests Menu”. Press OK.

10. Nozzle Test. Press OK

11. Wait until the print test is finish.

12. Press Cancel and Candel until the error 0×00000000 appear and then power off.

13. Power On again. The error disappear.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply.  HP support finally called me back about ten days later and walked me through the same steps you suggested.  It didn't work.  So they sent me a new printer!  I'm still in shock!

HP Recommended

I did the the steps, and thank goodness they worked!!  I really thank you for this information, I was ready to give up after having tried everything else I could find!

HP Recommended

I'm so glad someone is smarter than HP...

I could not believe I too was about to give up with this printer, until I came upon this thread / conversation.

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU. This surely helped and I'm glad I saved money and time from speaking or dealing with HP customer service.

God Bless.

Everyone who is having this problem, please try this, you'll be glad you did.

HP Recommended

Here is what you can try:

1. Turn off the power and unplug it from power source.
2. Open the right side of the printer (looking at the front).
3. Disconnect, by pulling gently, both white flat ribbon cables off the main circuit board.
4. Plug in the power source and turn the printer on. Wait till you get a error message and push "OK".
5. Unplug the power source.
6. Reconnect the flat ribbon cables by aligning and carefully pushing them into the conectors on the main circuit board.
7. Plug in the power source and turn the printer on (Printer preparing occurred).
8. The 0xc18a0306 error should now be gone.

for more information  http://www.fixya.com/support/t5587774-hp_photosmart_c5180_ink_system_failed Hope this helps you.

HP Recommended

I have a c7280 and i got your solution to work today; but i had to hold down the * key and then press the # key (while holding the * key) the secret menu came up and my printer is working now!  thank you so much for your advice!

HP Recommended

Brilliant discovery, well done and very many thanks!  The only hiccup was at stage 12, Cancel, cancel just brought up message to switch off properly.  So I did that and switched on again - perfect!

HP Recommended

Just posted this "Ink System Failure??"  and then found yours.  Thank you very much.  Up and running again. Kudos and Solved.  Potosmart C6180 All-in-One.

HP Recommended

I just tried this fix for my 2008 C7280 All-in-One printer that has been down for two months. 

After the fix, my printer didn't recognize any of my printer cartridges, giving me the error that I had installed the wrong cartridges.  

So, I looked up that problem on HP and this was the solution:

• To reset this printer, make sure the printer is on.  Unplug the printer without turning the printer off. 
  • Wait  60 seconds.
  • Hold down the # and 6 button while plugging the printer back in.  Keep holding the # and 6 down while the printer turns on.  After a bit, on mine there was a picture of the power symbol that appeared on the printer display. 
  • When the power symbol appears on the printer display, take your fingers off the # and 6 button. 
  • Push the power button to turn the printer off.  Push the power button again to turn the printer back on.  The printer will take some time to go through some preparation.  When the preparation is complete, the printer will recognize that the cartridges are full. 

My printer works again and I am eternally grateful to all of you who post this helpful information!  I hate the planned obselescence of the electronics industry and am so happy to have prevailed over this problem without buying a new printer.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.