Question

Student
John-66
Message 1 of 2 (859 Views)

Install problem with P1102w

I have just purchased a new P1102w printer for use in our sales office. I have no intention of using the Wireless feature - I only bought this version as it was on offer and cheaper than the standard version. I am running a fully updated version of Windows XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Vostro 200 2.2GHz dual core processor with 2GB of RAM.

I plug in the printer as instructed - after a short while, the Windows 'Add new Hardware' Wizard appears (no 'Smart Install' option). Both automatically detecting drivers, and manually browsing to a location doesn't work. Windows cannot find drivers for this printer. Windows says 'there was a problem installing drivers for this hardware', and it appears in Device Manager with the Yellow Triangle. Cannot update drivers from there, as there appears to be no location on the installation CD that has the drivers in a readable format.

I delete the printer from Device manager and try again. This time I use the installation CD and selecet the P1100w series. Installation appears normal, then it asks me to plug in and turn on the printer. I do so, and nothing happens. I am left with 'Back' or 'Cancel' as the only options.. Then in the system tray the Found New Hardware bubble pops up and the Windows Add New Hardware wizard launches... and as before cannot find drivers for this printer. I move the printer over to another, identical, PC. I plug it in, and turn it on. The smart install utility launches within a few seconds, and the printer installs perfectly.

I move it back to the original PC, and the original problem persists. I have tried different USB ports, and a different cable. When I plug mu USB stick into one of the ports, it is read without any problems.

I am now stumped as to a) what the problem is and b) how to solve it!

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice!

Top Student
Preinie
Message 2 of 2 (286 Views)

Re: Install problem with P1102w

Did you ever get this printer installed?

I've been installing on Dell Latitude E6410s with XP Pro SP3 for more than a year and often they don't install the same way twice. These are all corporate laptops. Users do not have install rights. We install via USB because when the users VPN connect they can't see their home network to print. (HP ePrint should work even when VPN connected.)

I have found you MUST be logged in as Admin and run the HPSetup.exe file on the CD works best. (RunAs does not work.) When the install procedure says to connect the printer, do so.

The last one I did today (20130507) took <15 minutes. (I was surprised.) It even printed the test page. (This is random for HP printers, as is assigning it as default, which doesn't matter anyway as the admin is logged in so it will only be default for the admin.)

Other installs have failed, remove the printer (Add/Remove Programs) reinstall, remove again if it fails (repeat as needed).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation