Is HP aware of a problem with the hpqcxs08 file? (211 Views)
Honor Student
durandma
Message 1 of 1 (211 Views)

Is HP aware of a problem with the hpqcxs08 file?

OK.  I noticed my Vista CPU usage meter was at 50% just sitting idle.  My Norton reported high CPU usage with at least one core at 100% (sitting idle).  After a lot of internet searching, I found a lot of people suffering 50-100% CPU usage while sitting idle, with very few if any solutions offered.  Norton reported the offending service was svchost.exe.  Some people are even thinking it could be a virus.  I found very little help from microsoft and none from HP.  The problem is that the svchost.ext is a file that operates many services and apparently it is up to the end user to find out WHICH service is the problem.

After hours of  the process of elimination and volumes of system restarts, using MSCONFIG to turn off individual services, I found the problem.  Out of about 100 services, I found  "hpqcxs08" to be the one service that spiked my CPU usage from 0-3% (at idle) to over 50% (at idle) all by itself when turned on.

I expect that a lot of people don't even realize they are burning out their processors and/or losing computing effectiveness because they don't monitor the CPU meter and don't realize the CPU is being tied up and overtaxed due to a printer driver.

I have to believe that HP knows about this...  Has HP informed anyone of this problem?  Has HP fixed the driver?  If so, where would one find a fixed driver?

I have a core 2 duo (3+GHz) Vista (Service pack 2) machine maxed out with 4 MB RAM.  HP printers attached are photosmart c6180 and officejet pro 8000 wireless.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation