Is it possible to set up a wireless printer without the USB cable? (16415 Views)
Honor Student
timescar
Message 1 of 6 (16,415 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to set up a wireless printer without the USB cable?

Hello,

I have a HP Photosmart C4580 and I wanted to set it up to run on a network, but I don't have a USB cable. I have tried to install it without one, but it does not show up on the network and I was wondering if you really need a USB cable to install it?

Thank you.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 2 of 6 (16,400 Views)

Re: Is it possible to set up a wireless printer without the USB cable?

Yes for this printer you will need a USB cable to set it up on a Wireless Network. I have linked a document below for setting this product in a Wireless network

Installing the Printer Software on a Wireless Network

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 6 (16,396 Views)

Having a USB cable certainly makes the process easier. But if you have a laptop with a built-in wireless radio, then it is possible to configure the printer wirelessly. But it's slightly complicated. If you're up to it, then I can provide the instructions.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
timescar
Message 4 of 6 (16,381 Views)

Yes, I would like to know the instructions on how to set it up without a USB cable.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 6 (16,369 Views)

1. Turn on the Wireless Radio on the printer.

2. On your computer, search for all available wireless networks. You should find one named 'hpsetup'. Go ahead and connect to this network and ignore all warnings.

3. Wait for 1 minute after you connect to the network. Then print out a Network Configuration Page from the printer. It should list an IP address starting with 169.254.x.x.

4. Type this address into the address bar of any web browser. You'll come to the Embedded Web Server(EWS) of the printer.

5. Use the Wireless\Networking tab at the top and search for an Advanced option for '802.11 Wireless' networking. On this page, you'll be able to enter your wireless network settings(screenshot attached for ease of identification).

6. Make sure you change the SSID to the name of your network. Click on the 'Infrastructure' radio button and enter your WEP\WPA pasphrase. ENTER THE SSID AND PASSPHRASE EXACTLY AS IT IS, OR IT MAY NOT CONNECT TO THE NETWORK.

7. Click on the Apply button and wait for confirmation of the settings being saved.

8. Restart the printer. Printer the Network Config page again. Now it should have an IP address as assigned by your router and not with 169.254.x.x.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
davemitch
Message 6 of 6 (16,048 Views)

Just found this post while looking for a fix for my printer, and this worked. I've been messing around all day, but this sorted it

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation