Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

im using a asus cromebook and trying to connect a deskjet2542 help!

HP Recommended

Hello mupaduck,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are trying to setup and use the Deskjet 2540 with your Chromebook. I personally would not suggest this printer when paired with a Chromebook as this is not a ePrinter.

ePrinter are best suited for use with Chromebooks as they can use the printer's Email address when enrolling for Google Cloud Print. You are still able to use the Deskjet 2540 with the Chromebook, but you will need to installing it on a computer that has a support OS and keep it connected with a USB cable.

To learn more, click here: Connect your classic printers with Google Cloud Print

Regards,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

but why is the ip address not working? it seems a real arse round face way of printing something having to do it via another computer! i may cry this is pants lol

HP Recommended

Does the printer have an IP? If so, what is it?

I do agree with you that needing the printer connected to another PC to print is a pain, but at least it's an option available. Chromebooks are not like a Windows PC. Chromebooks use apps instead of software, thus we can not install anything for the printer on it, like you would a Windows PC.

As I mentioned, to best print from a Chromebook you would need a ePrint printer.

Message 4 of 23 in the thread will show you how to connect the printer to a network. Just substitute Chromebook where it says Smartphone.

Cheers!

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

the print out it gave me said to open browser and type http://192.168.223.1 and it should open on the page i need to get my printers email address, but the above doesnt work. i am such a technophobe 😕

HP Recommended

This 2542 doesn't support ePrint, I am not sure which page you are referring as there is no Email address available for this printer.

Typing the IP of 192.168.223.1 into the address bar (if the PC is connected to the printer's Wireless Direct network) will load a page in which you can setup the printer onto your personal network.

If you purchased this printer to work solely with the Chromebook I would suggest looking into a different printer, one that is ePrint ready.

Regards,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Foto
HP Recommended

when i do this it wants to redirect me to web page and then it is says that it is unavailabe. what do i do now? Is there any way of having you connect remotely to my computer and see what the heck is going on?

HP Recommended

Hey ks_sass,

If you would like to have an agent remote access with you, you will need to call into our phone support team at 1 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click HERE to get the support number for your region.

The redirect message, does it mention anything about a certificate, or look like this:

Regards,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hi,Kudos.I eventualy got my printer up and running.
It was just a security miss understanding.The wifi password must also be connected to the printers network.thank you ones again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.