J4680 Incompatible Ink Cartridge error message (4468 Views)
Top Student
CommonSense
Message 1 of 9 (4,468 Views)
Accepted Solution

J4680 Incompatible Ink Cartridge error message

I just installed a new black ink cartridge in my J4680.

I did not touch the tricolor cartridge.

Now when I open the HP Solution Center software, I get an error message that

the tricolor cartridge is not compatible.

However the printer will print in color. 

Also I was able to print an alignment page, but the auto alignment feature failed

when I tried to scan the printed page. 

I need some help, please.  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (4,457 Views)

Re: J4680 Incompatible Ink Cartridge error message

Let's reset the printer.  Turn the printer off, hold # and 6 keys while turning the printer back on.

Does that clear the error?

I am employed by HP
Student
cfitz49
Message 3 of 9 (4,162 Views)

i tried doing the reset as you suggested.....turning printer on while holding down # & 6 but error still appears.....any other suggestions?  Any other reset options?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 9 (4,140 Views)

Hold # and 9 for a hard reset.  Make sure to keep holding the keys for a few seconds after releasing the on/off button.

I am employed by HP
Student
hproy9
Message 5 of 9 (3,932 Views)

Sorry  i dont have an answer, i am actually experiencng the same problem, and the 2 prior replys dont  solve the issue. any other suggestions?

Student
LadyEDRW
Message 6 of 9 (3,681 Views)

The printer has to be off not on.... hope it works for you this way; it did for me.

Top Student
ixionlynx
Message 7 of 9 (3,527 Views)

Some HP printers remember all the cartridge IDs. If out of inks, will disable them to prevent have them refilled. So you have to pay big buck buy new HPs.
It is interesting that nobody ever found a hack to reset this model.. People got around of this because HP lousy programmers software bugs(now you like those programers and bugs, ha!)
HP should fire those trick makers!! They eventually kill the company!!
Don't buy HPs if they keep on playing these tricks and trying to fool the customers!!!

Student
MLE0113
Message 8 of 9 (3,221 Views)

I'm getting the same type of message on my C7270 Photosmart printer that I have been using for about 3 years.  It's very annoying because I need to print some documents and I can't get by this message.  I've tried all of the suggestions in this segment and none of them work.

I don't need the functionality of this machine.  I just need a good printer/copier/scanner.  I think I am going to junk this one and buy the Kodak $99 printer with cheap ink and the Desktop scanner + for everything else.

I wouldn't fire the programmers (I was one for 40 years before I retired); however, the management might look into designing and building simpler equipment.

Student
printerbore
Message 9 of 9 (2,718 Views)

I ready to 86 my j4680.  i'm on my second tricolor cartridge and continue to have issues with the ability to print the correct color.  $60 later and a new printer is looking like the most economical option!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation