LaserJet 1020 and Windows 7: Driver Installs OK but Still Won't Print (32750 Views)
Student
Raptox
Message 1 of 2 (32,750 Views)

LaserJet 1020 and Windows 7: Driver Installs OK but Still Won't Print

NOTE:  As the title says, this is a DIFFERENT problem than the driver installation.  Please do not reply with anything about installing or reinstalling drivers. 

NOTE2:  This may be a similar to a problem I've seen on these forums with other HP printers and Win7.  As far as I could tell by reading the forums, this has not been resolved.

My 1020 is connected via USB; there is no networking involved in this problem.  I can get the drivers for the 1020 installed without a hitch in Win7x64.  Win7 seems happy with the printer, it shows up in Devices and Printers, I can open the print queue, fiddle with the prefs, etc. However...it won't print anything. When I print a test page, it goes to the queue, the printer warms up, and then the document sits in the queue while the printer ready light just keeps blinking.  Forever.

Here's what I've ALREADY tried:

1.  Deleted the printer from the Device Manager and reinstalled the drivers

2.  Deleted the printer from the Devices and Printers window and reinstalled the drivers.

3.  Tried the "older" Vista drivers using both of the above methods.

4.  Tried both the "Plug and Play" and "Download Only" packages.

5.  Tried switching between several different drivers for different printers (1018, 1022, 1022n, 1022nw, a few 2xxx printers, a 4xxx printer...) ***** This causes Win7 to crash when you try to print a test page. Don't do this.

6.  Disabled bi-directional support (in the ports window)  ****** This causes different behavior: the document goes into the queue and immediately falls out of the queue, but the printer does nothing at all.  Odd, but perhaps a clue.

7.  Tried both "start print immediately" and "wait until last page is spooled"

8.  Made sure Status messages are on.

9.  Tried stopping and restarting the printer spooler in Services.

...and I'm probably forgetting a few other crazy things I tried.

Also, I am using a new GIGABYTE P55 motherboard that has that USB problem with the iPhone.   I have not tried updating the mobo BIOS yet, and I am not planning on doing that until I reach "last resort" level.  Maybe someone else out there with this problem but a different mobo can pipe up and just confirm that the motherboard isn't the issue.

So, anyone out there in HP Support Land looking for a challenge?  :smileyhappy:

Intern
TwinsXT
Message 2 of 2 (30,837 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1020 and Windows 7: Driver Installs OK but Still Won't Print

Windows 7 is relative new OS to the printer LJ1020. so the windows 7 solution is lately post on hp.com, in last Nov. You can get the latest update solution for LJ1020 on Windows 7 64bits from here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?os=4063&softwareitem=bi-58677-3&lc=en&dlc=e...

Meanwhile, I recommend a diagnoistic tool to troubleshooting the printing issue with LJ1020. Please get a try.

Hope it helps.

I am an employee of HP but I only speak for myself and not for the company.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation