Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

The hostname of my network printer, an HP LaserJet P1505n, is set to NPI1BDC68. Is this hardwired or is there a way for me to change it? Attempts to solve: Manuals have been reviewed, Forum questions have been searched, google general search conducted. I'm running Win XP and a Mac Pro with OS X 10.6.8. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, that took me 10 minutes to solve.  I found the answer on an HP site based in France. (I changed my google query a bit and tried again.)  The site asks on first access if you'd like to continue in English, thankfully.  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01175001

In short, using Internet Explorer or Safari, browse to your network printer's IP address.  For Win XP users, you can determine the IP address using, Start/Printers and Faxes/(select printer)/properties/ports tab/select printer again/configure port button/second field down shows the IP address. 

Once connected to the networking sub-system of the printer, select the networking tab.  The hostname is the first field that can be changed. Enter a new name from 1-15 characters.  Hint: It doesn't like spaces. Underscores work though and the new name can be mixed case. Press Apply button at bottom of screen when done.  Warning appears that access to printer may need to be changed if IP address was changed.  Acknowledge the warning. Printer goes offline for a few seconds. Page refreshes automatically and new hostname can be confirmed by inspection.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Well, that took me 10 minutes to solve.  I found the answer on an HP site based in France. (I changed my google query a bit and tried again.)  The site asks on first access if you'd like to continue in English, thankfully.  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01175001

In short, using Internet Explorer or Safari, browse to your network printer's IP address.  For Win XP users, you can determine the IP address using, Start/Printers and Faxes/(select printer)/properties/ports tab/select printer again/configure port button/second field down shows the IP address. 

Once connected to the networking sub-system of the printer, select the networking tab.  The hostname is the first field that can be changed. Enter a new name from 1-15 characters.  Hint: It doesn't like spaces. Underscores work though and the new name can be mixed case. Press Apply button at bottom of screen when done.  Warning appears that access to printer may need to be changed if IP address was changed.  Acknowledge the warning. Printer goes offline for a few seconds. Page refreshes automatically and new hostname can be confirmed by inspection.

HP Recommended

I've tried that on an HP Laserjet 400 M401n computer and the new password entered is replaced by the old 'default' password.  There is also a 'Configuration Preference' box on that page which I've changed the top of the order to 'Manual' which makes no difference.  I opened a chat with HP and was told that the printer wa.  s out of warranty and it would cost me $39 for them to look at the problem.  Shameful !!  Then I was told that it was a problem for an Authorized Service Provider to solve.  Beyond shameful as it is HPs printer firmware that is not working and there are no workarounds or instructions.  It seems that they are trying to charge me for their defective firmware.  Ain't going to happen.

HP Recommended

The P1505n printer driver was not upgraded to support Win 7. The workaround is to repurpose any old computer, install Linux, and the cups program will easily communicate with the P1505n. Running LibreOffice on both machines will allow you to print Word-type documents on the Linux box.  Of course you still have to transfer via USB or some other method.

Maybe you could set up Cygwin to run cups on Win 7.

The HP driver for Win XP, when run on Win 7, will queue the print job, but then it never prints.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.