Question

Student
Giles56
Message 1 of 6 (1,787 Views)

LaserJet Printer not printing properly

Please help! I am exhausted after hours failing installing a new printer which freezes printing pdf's and webpages but will print Word docs after a 20 second delay. I have looked at the forum and do not understand answers which asume I know about changing IP addresses, ports, etc. I need it simple!

Details:

LaserJet M1217nfw MFP on a new Win 7 64bit laptop   

Issue: The printer won’t print PDFs & web pages (IE & Chrome) but it will print emails and word docs after a delay. If a PDF or web page is sent to print, subsequent prints of emails and Word docs fail until the PDF or webpage is deleted from the queue.

The printer has now been installed twice on a new Acer laptop running Win 7 (64 bit). When problems arose, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it again.

First Installation of Printer (for USB not wifi) was with the supplied CD. The promised ‘Plug and Print in 5 mins’ on the box did not work (5 hours closer, so far)! Word and Windows Live Messenger (email) printed fine until an attempt to print a web page or pdf froze the print process. The printer dialog window in Win 7 showed the document print status as ‘Error’.

So I installed ’HP Print And Scan Doctor’ as recommended from the HP website. This just deleted the corrupt document and then reported that the printer was fine.

On further instructions from the HP website I uninstalled the printer, and downloaded the drivers direct from HP. I then attempted to reinstall the printer. The problem remained.

Detailed Explanation of Error Process:

During First Installation: Win 7 appeared to be trying to install the printer at the same time as the HP program. It also tried to install the printer HD as a mass storage device under ‘Devices’ as well as ‘Printers’. Win 7 interrupted the HP install with the message ‘The mass storage device failed to install’ and the HP installation process froze. Win 7 then advised me ‘device driver installed successfully’ while the HP software informed me the ‘printer installation failed’.

I then tried to print from Word 2010. It worked.

IE would not print one page (at other times it did print one page after a 20 sec delay)

I opened ‘Printers’

Error message ‘Error Printing’

Win 7 Troubleshooting: I initiated Win 7 troubleshooting in the dialog screen. That cleared the printer queue and told me all was fixed. It wasn’t.

HP Scan Doctor: Told me there were no problems detected. Wrong!

Firewalls: I tried disabling the Windows McAffee firewalls. It made no difference. Getting Windows to download the latest drivers also makes no difference.

Printing after 2nd (Re-)Installation is the same:

A Word document prints after a 20 sec delay, during which the Win 7 printer dialog screen states ‘Error – Printing’ next to the document.

A pdf document prints after a 20 sec delay and the error message. I can get it to repeat a one page pdf print, again after a long delay. If I send a multiple page pdf it freezes after the first or second page and thereafter blocks all Word print, until the pdf is deleted from the print queue.

I can print a web page, if I am lucky, but only after a 20 sec delay. 

It appears that the printer is switching itself offline during the print process. It starts online but then reverts to offline when a page is sent to it.

Tutor
Chriso21nz
Message 2 of 6 (1,760 Views)

Re: LaserJet Printer not printing properly

I have a very similar situation with an HP P1102w, which was purchased for a client.  The box says installs in less than 2 minutes with a software CD.  Installing on a brand new Acer win7 home premium 64bit.  Printer required the software CD to install.  During multiple installs the I get an error message saying the printer is connecting to the wireless network but the computer cannot see the printer.  The printer shows as being offline in the devices section, yet does manage to print emails word docs.

I spend nearly 3 hrs on the phone with HP troubleshooting this installation, only to be told that the problem "may lie with my wireless router".  I have a support case reference and will be chasing this further, now that my client has reported that they cannot print web pages or "recipes" they've downloaded.  Receipes may be pdfs, so I'll be chacking back on this post with an update.

Printer seems to either pick up random invalid IP addresses or simply refueses to get an IP address.  The only reproducible thing I've been abler to show is that once the printer is switched off and back on again the printer device manager shows the printer as being offline, yet it still prints.  Also on right button clicking the printer, there apears to sometimes be two installs of the same printer (with different names).....my client has also just informed me that her daughter, who has the same Acer laptop cannot print web pages.

I plan to get to the bottom of this, as I'm mightily annoyed at how difficuklt and time consuming this HP install has been.  It may be a an Acer issue.......

Tutor
Chriso21nz
Message 3 of 6 (1,759 Views)

Sorry, I should've said "install in less than 2 ins WITHOUT a software CD" -definitely not my case with an Acer laptop. Try 3 hrs with HP phone support and still not working correctly.
Tutor
Chriso21nz
Message 4 of 6 (1,757 Views)

Giles56,  On re reading your post, I think we're possibly suffering the same problem.  I'm so annoyed by the whole situation.  HP print and scan Dr showed no problems, yet displayed the IP address as 0.0.0.0.  After 3 hrs on the phone with HP all they could suggest is that I talk with the manufacturer of my router (Dynalink).  HP wanted me to confirm that channel 11 was being used -yes.  It seems to me that the printer seems to go into some type of sleep mode and drops it's IP address.  I'm determined to get to the bottom of this, so will be probably be bringing my client's printer home with me to try on my wireless network with one of my Acer 64bit win7 home premium setups.  Keep me posted..........

Tutor
Chriso21nz
Message 5 of 6 (1,746 Views)

[ Edited ]

I may have a possible fix to the p1102w not printing web pages or not installing properly on win7 64 bit home premium acer laptop.  This is after spending over 3 hours on phone with HP tech support and being told my wireless router may be the problem why the printer keeps going offline.  My client reported they could print emails and word docs but not web pages or pdf files downloaded off the web.

I looked in the installed devices and printers folder and could see only one greyed out p1102w printer labelled as copy 2.  When I clicked on the "see what's printing" drop down tab at the top of the window, two installations of the printer were showing, and I could see that one of them had a web page loaded for printing, but I couldn't open either of the print queues.  Even on a restart the same issue remained -could still print emails and word docs but no web pages.  I then manually stopped and restarted the print spooler from within the control panel, administrative tools, services.  This had the effect of removing the jammed print job from within the phantom first printer installation AND removing the apparent 1st printer installation from the "see what's printing" drop dopwn tab.

Student
KTrist
Message 6 of 6 (758 Views)

I am having a similar issue. My P1102w used to print every document type without issue but recently I can't print any PDF files. I have to copy and paste it to a WORD doc then print it. Or send it to my Kodak color Hero 9.1.  I am automatically set up for WIndows updates. I am running an ASUS laptop.

I have learned of a shotcut to printing it but I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to print a PDF. Once in the printer screen click "advanced" at the bottom and check "Print as picture" or some phrase similar to this. Problem with this is I have to do it everytime. 

I want to get it back to where I can print as usual and not have to jump through hoops. 

Suggestions?

KTrist

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation