Question

Honor Student
Peter1949
Message 1 of 5 (331 Views)

LaserJet Pro 200

Hi,

Not sure what the heck to do.  Purchased a new HP LaserJet Pro 200 and installed it yesterday.  Did a USB installation and it installed sucessfully.  Prints OK, and faxes OK. The fax is sharing the same phone line as my office main phone number and the fax is set to aurto-answer on the 5th ring and it does.

However, if I get an incoming fax or a voice phone call that I do not pick up, the unit auto-answers and never disconnects and the display is showing "Incoming call..." forever.  The unit is now locked up and you cannot print to it nor can you send or receive any faxes.  Also, the phone line is held up and there is now no dial tone on the phone line, just 48 volt talking battery.

The only way to un-lock the LaserJet is to power it off and you have to physically unplug it, just turning it off and on and the display will still come up with the message "Incoming call....".

I have another HP LaserJet all-in-one that I brought over from my other office temporarily, and older unit a HP LaserJet CM2330MPF and plugging it in to the same phone line it works as expected 100% and does not lock up the phone line or does it lock up.

I was around 2 hours with HP tech support this morning and after several times on hold as the support rep checked with his Level - II support person and hardware expert, he came back to me and advised me there is nothing wrong with the new HP LaserJet Pro 200 printer and that my next step is to call Bell Canada as the Level - II tech "whom i never talked to" advised the rep I was talking to me to call the phone company. 

I advised him this was not the issue as the other HP LaserJet works 100%, my stand-a-lone Brothers fax machine in my main office I also hooked up and it worked 100%.  I was asked what I expected from HP, and I said with a brand new printer out of the box I expected a replacment unit as this one was quite obviously defective.  I was advised this was not possible nor did HP tech support have any authority to replace a new defective printer.  I was to speak to the support supervisor and this was refused.  I asked for a number to call to excallate this inpass and was advised no such number exists.

I was left at the end of the monring with a brand new defective printer and someone in a few days would call me back to see if anything would be done.

Does this sound like a horror story or what?

Do you think that this is the normal method of operation to handle a situation like mine?

I have faxed an official complaint to HP head office and sent and email to the Hp CEO today.

Anyone got any suggestions as what else I can do as I do not know what to do.  The unit is brand new and cost me $499.00 and I need a working printer fax immediately.  My old one was taken to one of my new offices in a shopping mall and this new HP LaserJet Pro 200 was purchased to replace the old unit back in my main shop where most of the service work and parts order takes place.

Pete - A very unhappy new owner of a non-functioning HP LaserJet printer!

PhD Student
Kicktires
Message 2 of 5 (307 Views)

Re: LaserJet Pro 200

Hello-

I am sory you had trouble troubleshooting this issue. After such a long call, I am sure they had you turn ECM (error correction mode) to OFF and also lower your fax speed.

I will include a link for you that will have you check how the fax unit is set up, (ie. two wire phone cord, analog phone line, answering machine, etc.)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03363598&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...=

Please provide more information on fax setup.

Thanks.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
Donald
Retired
KittyK
Message 3 of 5 (301 Views)

Peter1949, I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on this Forum.

KittyK - HP Support Forums Moderator

Clicking the "Kudos star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!

When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!

Rules of Participation
Honor Student
Peter1949
Message 4 of 5 (298 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but the problem is not with the fax setup configurations.  These have all been check and re-checked over and over again.  Unit power off and on several times, etc.

Printing the configuration settings out of the report menu, all settings have been and are 100% correct. 

Maybe I did not explain that if you run the fax diagnostic test on the unit "self diagnostic test built into the unit called from the display panel", the fax test fails and locks the printer up and also holds up the phone line.

If you try to setup install the fax component from the install CD and you go into the fax setup this way "not on the physical unit from the display panel", it fails here as well and locks up and will not successfully complete the fax hardware level test.

I think if a brand new printer is taken out of the box plugged in and you run the basic acceptance testing suggested in the user manual, ie:  Install toners, add some paper, setup language, setup time, perform a test print, place a sheet of typed paper and try a black and white and color copy and then try a fax test... If the fax test fails without even hooked up a USB cable or network to a computer system... well very good chance the fax component inside the unit is defective.

This is my case here. 

I also found out that if I plug in the phone cord into this new printer after a while if the printer is left powered on, my phone line will become locked up even without any incoming or outgoing calls.  If my other HP all in-one unit is plugged back in everything works 100% with no line lock ups.

Plug back in the new unit and back to my line lock up again.

In the meantime this morning I purchased a stand-a-lone Brothers fax machine for $299.00.  This is a laser fax unit only.  It has been working since 10:00AM this morning without any issues and I have received now 18-20 incoming PO orders and sent out around 5-6 faxes.  No issues at all.

In testing my new HP printer one incoming call and the line is hung up 100% of the time, every time.

The good news is a HP rep has now contacted me in a problem escallation process and I have sent off receipt of pruchase, serial number, etc.  I am awaiting a final decision as to what will be done.  I have been told that a unit replacement will now be considered.

Not sure if one should have to spend 3-4 hours of ones time to get a defective unit replaced right out of the box though.  Plus be forced to demand an escallation process after being told to call the phone company as ones phone line is out of service and that is causing the fax to lock up the printer.  In discussions with the HP representative this afternoon the majority of all my problems stems from a training issue I feel within the HP support group.

Pete,

PhD Student
Kicktires
Message 5 of 5 (295 Views)

Hello-

I am glad to hear that the issue has been escalated to the right group.

It sounds like you are correct. The Line Interface Unit (LIU) might be  defective and that would be a hardware issue.

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you. 

Sorry again for your trouble.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
Donald
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation