Question

Honor Student
jstjohnGT
Message 1 of 12 (22,932 Views)

Laserjet 2840 All in One and Windows 7

I just upgraded to Windows 7, 64-bit and my LJ 2840 works fine as a printer but I can't set it up as a scanner.   I downloaded the drivers from HP.com, but it didn't allow me the option of downloading the HP Solutions Center.

I was able to install the solutions center for a in inkjet all-in-one and Windows 7 32 bit at home.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Top Student
Jeff-in-GA
Message 2 of 12 (22,751 Views)

Re: Laserjet 2840 All in One and Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Could someone tell me if HP has continued to support all the LJ 2840 functionality in Windows 7 (by providing drivers), or have they abandoned us? 

Note: our LJ 2840 is connected over the network.  Do the current drivers allow any scanning and all other activities?

Tutor
Crusoe
Message 3 of 12 (22,709 Views)

Hi -

There is a document for Windows 7 32-bit for full software solution (print/fax/scan): HP Color LaserJet 2820/2830/2840 Installation Instructions - Windows 7 32 bit only "Compatibility Mode"   http://search.hp.com/redirect.html?type=REG&qt=2840+compatibility+mode&url=http%3A//h20000.www2.hp.c...

This will walk you through installation in Compatibility mode.  According to the document 64-bit "The HP Color LaserJet 2820 and 2840 products are not supported in the 64-bit Windows 7 environment."

Good luck and I hope the document is helpful for those with 32-bit Win 7.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
trah68
Message 4 of 12 (22,229 Views)

so , no way to use the scanner in LAN with W7 64bit?

Compatibility Mode works only with 32 bit version of W7?

Hope HP find the way to solve this big problem

Honor Student
trah68
Message 5 of 12 (22,108 Views)

Ok, NO WAY TO USE LJ2840 AS A LAN SCANNER WITH WINDOWS 7 64bit

This will be the last HP product of my life

Student
Philip-d
Message 6 of 12 (21,620 Views)

I agree.  HP can't come up with a x64 driver for the LJ2840? What I I to do with this expensive printer now? No more HP for me.

Top Student
Jeff-in-GA
Message 7 of 12 (21,454 Views)

Some potential solutions were suggested here, but I'm not expecting that any of them will work:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/LaserJet-2800-functionality-in-Windows-7-over-the-net...

Honor Student
Mr_Cheese_Dude
Message 8 of 12 (17,105 Views)

Did any of the solutions here work for Windows 7?
I have tried some of there and am getting nowhere.
Can't beleive the lack of support from HP on this.
The driver software for this device can barely work on Windows XP, yet alone Windows 7.
Big minus vote from me for HP.
Student
Alski-K
Message 9 of 12 (5,164 Views)

Okay - after weeks trying to sort this out for a client I finally sussed it scanning over a network on a Windows 7 32-bit environment...

Place the Vista 32-bit installation package on the desktop and extract it...

Open the folder and look for another folder called ccc (somewhere in there)

Copy both 'Scrubber' files to the desktop and run the Scrubber.exe

Then - Delete any instances of the HP LaserJet 2840 you have installed in 'Devices & Printers' 

Run 'Scrubber.exe' again

Open the folder on your desktop with the installation files and any .exe files in there or applications in the root of this folder where Autoplay is etc. need to be set to open in Vista SP 2 compatibility Mode and to Run as Administrator. (5 files mentioned on the other posts on this thread but I did all of them just in case)

Then disable your antivirus and your firewall and open Setup.exe - Choose a custom installation and only install the driver (greyed out) untick the checkbox for everything else. 

Turns out looking at my system log that when the HP software is installed in Windows 7 the process constantly uses the scanner from boot so nothing else can - You will now see two drivers installed once installation is complete - Twain Driver is the one I used and if your lucky like me it will work and you'll feel like opening a bottle of champagne...and scanning it.

Good luck!

Thumbs down HP...

Student
icykf
Message 10 of 12 (3,544 Views)

[ Edited ]

Los usuarios que quieran utilizar esta impresora con todas sus funciones en Windows 7, que se olviden. Yo lo he intentado de todas las maneras y ha sido imposible. Es una pena porque es una excelente impresora, pero llevaba demasiado tiempo usando un PC esclavo con Windows XP, solo para poder utilizar la impresora, y ya me cansé, así que tomé la decisión más cara pero la más efectiva. He comprado otra impresora multifunción. Por ello si alguien está interesado en comprar la impresora que tengo arrinconada en mi almacén, no duden en contactar: {Personal Information Removed}. La impresora está en perfecto estado de funcionamiento.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation