Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro P1102w
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Struggling to setup the P1102w - using the installation DVD that came with it, I go through the steps. When I get to 'Turn printer on, connect USB to computer' the printer isn't recognized. It doesn't reject it, it just doesn't pick it up - this is with Windows 8.1.

Tried on a different laptop running Windows 7 - same problem. The installation program just sat on the 'waiting for you to connect printer via USB' step.  When connecting it, Windows recognized a USB device and attempted to instal the device - came up with an error that couldn't be recognized and needed to contact the manufacturer for installation files.

Have updated Windows, restarted machine several times, removed the HP installation files and tried with the drivers downloaded from HP website - same problem.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had the same issue while working on a customers computer.

1) he was infected with Viruses so we had to do a Virus removal on his computer.

So you might want to make sure that your computer is virus free

2) In most Windows 8 computers especially HP, the drivers automatically install on the computer.

Check your Device Manager and click on printers. It will display what is being connected.

On my computer it displayed Printers>

HP P1102W

I had to uninstall it, in order to install the software. After i did that the computer was able to recognize the USB cable.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @sheffdave2002 ,

I see that you are having issues with the printer not being recognized on 2 computers. I would like to help you out today.

Try a different USB cable, if it is the same USB cable you tried on both computers.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet and the USB cable is connected directly to the computer. (not a docking station) The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet. Try another USB port on the computer.

If you are using a Laptop with Windows, check the power management on the computer to see if that is causing the issue. Go into the device manager, under universal serial bus controllers, for each USB root hub, right click and left click on properties, for power management remove the check mark for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". It allows the computer to limit or turn off power for this device. How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Try these steps if you are still having issues.

'Device setup failed to complete' or 'Unknown device' Message Displays in Windows during USB Install...

Disregard the title.

Use the newest drivers from the website for Windows 8.1.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great weekend!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi Gemini02

Thanks for your assistance. I've followed the instructions and unfortunately still had the same problem. I then followed the link you included and went through each step of those process - still not working.

I've tried with 2 different computers now (Windows 8.1 and 7) and with 2 different USB cables including the one supplied with the printer. I cannot get past the stage in the installation process when I connect the printer to the computer - when I connect it it stays with the 'Waiting to for you to connect the USB' message.

What do I do next?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I had the same issue while working on a customers computer.

1) he was infected with Viruses so we had to do a Virus removal on his computer.

So you might want to make sure that your computer is virus free

2) In most Windows 8 computers especially HP, the drivers automatically install on the computer.

Check your Device Manager and click on printers. It will display what is being connected.

On my computer it displayed Printers>

HP P1102W

I had to uninstall it, in order to install the software. After i did that the computer was able to recognize the USB cable.

HP Recommended

@TimeChrist - that did the job - uninstalled via Device Manager as you suggested and restarted installation from scratch using the setup disk - went through smoothly.

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Please help. I am having the same problem. I dont have any viruses 🙂 but i cant find the printer in my device manager. It installs till it gets to the part about connecting the device and then it stops. I have tried 2 computers - 2 different cables and have even returned the first printer for another one thinking it faulty, but this is the same

HP Recommended

Hi @K0111,

I see by your post that the printer isn't being recognised either. I will certainly do my best to help you.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

I wasn't sure what steps you have already tried, so I am including them all.

Restart the printer and make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Try and print a hardware self test on the printer to find out if it is in a Ready State. If the printer is in a error state, it won't be recognized when connected by a USB cable. Printing a Configuration Page.

Did the self test print?

Check the connections in the Device Manager for any printer entries, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers look for USB Printing Support, Mass Storage or anything with a yellow exclamation mark or unknown device. Right click and uninstall the device. 'Device setup failed to complete' or 'Unknown device' Message Displays in Windows during USB Install... Disregard the title.

Is the cable a 2.0 or 3.0 cable?

What USB port do you have on the computer?

How to determine whether a USB 3.0 device is operating at SuperSpeed?

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software. How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Run the uninstall again from the CD to remove any printer files that did get installed, then disconnect the USB cable.

Unlock Hidden Administrator Account and install the printer on this account:

1. Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  2. CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  4. Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  5. When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  6. If your computer automatically logs into your account after restart than go to your start menu click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  7. Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  8. Test the printer.
  9.  To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

Don't connect the USB cable until prompted.

Are you using Laptops or Desktops?

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.

If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The printer works fine for simple text documents.

My problem currently centers around this pdf document found here: 

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/google-chrome-shortcuts-pdf/

It never will print.  I get an system notification from windows indicating an error has occurred.

My wife has had very slow printing of music sheets (sorry, don't know the file type).  It prints the page out normally, but there is such a long wait time (three minutes at least)  before it begins to print that you think it never will print. 

Any help as to why the slow printing or no printing at all greatly appreciated

Regards

CW

HP Recommended

We shouldn't have this much trouble for a printer. 

If it was 1985 and we had dot matrix printers on MS-DOS, then OK. 

What gives HP?

HP Recommended

I had to create an account just to Thank you!

I've been going mad, trying on three diffrent computers but USB not being recognized.

I tried your step number two, by checking devide mamanger and I could remove the HP printer.

Now it works like a charm!

THANK YOU for saving me a lot of hassle!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.