Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi @cwgabel,

I see that you are having issues  printing PDF documents and the printer is printing slow. I can help you with this, but I will need some more information.

Try printing a page from the printer's manual, to see if you have the same results printing the PDF format. It may be a issue with what you are trying to print and from Chrome. Laserjet P1100. Let me know.

You can also try another browser to see if the PDF will print.

For the slow printing issue, it could be different issues causing this, depending on how the printer is connected. I would need to know what operating system you are using also, to provide the proper steps.

How is the printer connected? (USB/Wireless)

What operating system are you using?

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @Tabrizi,

Thanks for letting me know the issue was resolved. {Happy Dance :smileyvery-happy:}

Have a wonderful day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I posted this problem months ago and I don't know who Tabrizi is...

Returned the HP for a Brother. Too little too late HP.

HP Recommended

When I try to install my printer, the computer adds it as a "STORAGE" device????  I have tried using different usb ports on my computer.  Nothing is working.

HP Recommended

Hi @Arshad_786,

I read your post and see that when the printer is installed it is adding the printer as a storage device. I would like to help you resolve this issue. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the " "Accept as Solution" " button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. :generic:

The printer's firmware has a built in Smart Install, which you can plug and play the printer without the CD to install it. It will show up as a storage device. If the issue you are having is that the printer isn't being detected by the USB connection, please try the following steps:

This can also happen when the printer is already recognised as the USB connection and windows doesn't detect it again. Leave the USB cable connected, delete the printer from the Devices and Printers (if listed)  and the Device Manager.

To access the Device Manager:

Press the windows key and the X key on the keyboard at the same time in the desktop.

Then click on Device Manager from the list.

Check the connections in the Device Manager for any printer entries, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers look for USB Printing Support or anything with a yellow exclamation mark, mass storage device or unknown device. Right click and uninstall the device.

Then reconnect the USB cable and it should be detected again.

If you are still having issues, disconnect the USB cable, run the uninstall and reinstall the printer software again. Don't connect the USB cable until prompted during the install. 

Please clarify the issue if you have further problems with the install. Have a nice day! Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm running Win7. This is a reinstall because I had to replace my router.   I had already deleted the printer from the Device Manager.

If I try a wireless install, the install software won't find my router.

Going the other way, if i plug in the USB cable when prompted, Windows sees it and puts it in the unspecified category and the install software won't recognise it as connected.  The only way I've found to get it out of the unspecified category is to unplug the USB cable.

When I click on properties on the unspecified icon, it says it's working properly and shows all the device drivers there.

The original install when I bought the printer worked like a champ.

I found the uninstall pgm on the CD and ran it.   It seems to be taking a VERY long time.

Edit to add:

I figured the uninstall was stuck, so I rebooted and tried the install again.   It worked -- maybe too well.   The printer installed as a direct connect AND as a network printer.   I disconnected the USB cord and the "local" version wouldn't print, but the network printer worked fine.    So, I'm done.  🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @chapwolfe,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that you are having issues installing the printer again. I can help you with this.

It doesn't look like the correct drivers are being installed. Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

If you are still having issues please try the following:

If you haven't already, I would reset the printer first to clear out any previous network settings.
Turn the printer off, hold down the wireless button and cancel (x button) while turning the printer back on and don't release the two buttons until the printer stops making noise.

Print out a configuration report and make sure the SSID and IP address are cleared.
(hold down the x button and when the printer makes a noise let go)

Then disconnect the routers power cable, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect the power cable again.

Wait till it's ready.

Disconnect the USB cable from the computer for the printer.

Delete the printer from the Device Manager. It may be listed as unknown device, USB printing support, and mass storage device. Here is the link to access the Device Manager: How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Run the installation again and don't connect the USB cable until prompted to configure the wireless network again.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation. The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet. Make sure the USB cable is connected directly to the computer. (not a docking station or hub) Try another USB port on the computer. You might have to try another USB cable.

Here is the link for the latest drivers: hp_LJP1100_P1560_P1600_Full_Solution-v20120831-50157036.exe

Test the printer.

Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

After discovering that the printer was on my printer & device list, I went to hp site and downloaded windows 10 drivers and then was able to set up on a wireless network

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.