Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Envy 4500 Status says Attention Required.  Does anyone know why?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi we_pittman, 

I would like to help you determine why your HP Envy 4500 Status says Attention Required, and resolve the issue. If you have a Windows operating system, please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. The Dr. helps fix boo- boos! Smiley Happy

The Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) actually diagnoses and helps resolve many common printing, scanning, and connectivity problems, including:

• Connectivity :
     USB: Verifies that the USB connection from your computer to the HP product is working correctly.
    Network: Verifies that the network connection between your computer and your network is working correctly.
  • Device Status Test : Checks for device errors such as out of paper, paper jams, carriage stalls, and paper feed issues, and then provides instructions for fixing the error.
  • Driver Check : Checks for missing or corrupt driver files.
  • Device Manager : Checks for problems in Device Manager that would prevent printing.
  • Device Online : Checks if the product has been paused or set to offline, and then sets the status back to online if necessary.
  • Print Queue : Checks for and clears pending print jobs in the print queue (a log of print jobs waiting to print).
  • Port Match : Checks the port settings for the HP product.
  • Device Conflicts : Checks for conflicts with other drivers, such as other printer brands.
  • Ink Issues : Checks the cartridges and ink levels for issues that affect print quality.
  • Print Settings : Checks and adjusts the print quality settings.
  • Test Print : Prints a test page for print quality evaluation, and provides options for cleaning and aligning the printhead if necessary.
  • Scan Tests : Checks the scan mechanism, drivers, and registry entries.
You can also click the Printer menu to find the additional features such as cleaning printheads, aligning printheads, checking ink levels, and viewing advanced printer data for your selected printer.

Click here to download and run the utility > HP Print and Scan Doctor

If you have a Mac, well I will have to play Dr as the PSDR is only compatible with Windows operating systems.

Please describe the symptoms. Smiley Happy  

• Do you see flashing lights, or error messages on the printer?
  • Can you perform a self test report?
    1. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow ( ) to select Tools, and then press OK.
    2. Press the Down Arrow ( ) to select Printer Status Report, and then press OK. The printer prints the test page.
  • Where and when do you see this 'requires attention' message?
  • If you leave the printer on and unplug it for one minute, does the message go away when you plug it back in?

Keep me posted. I would like to help see this inquiry resolved. Smiley Happy

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you I did download the dr and that didn't help.  It couldn't find a problem so I restarted my system and my problem is now fixed.  Not sure why it happend I'm guessing USER error.  Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended
thanks, I unplug printer and waited 1 minute , took care of the problem.
HP Recommended

I am experienceng the same problems as highlighted above, ie.  HP Envy 4500 Status says "Attention Required"

I have tried unplugging, I have tried HP doctor - so far no solution

Pleae help, it's driving me crazy

I am on a DELL Inspiron 15, with WIndows 8.1

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Hi @timr101 

What happens when you run the HP Print and Scan Doctor? Although it may not have resolved the issue, one of the tests performed is the Device Status Test: Checks for device errors such as out of paper, paper jams, carriage stalls, and paper feed issues, and then provides instructions for fixing the error. Knowing the outcome of this test will help me to understand the error state and troubleshoot the issue.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Same as all above.  Only thing is, I know what is goiing on... I am trying to run in single cartridge mode.  Only color cartridge, but I assume the same thing would be true for black only.  THe printer will work in this mode, As I have copied and printed out diagnostic pages loal to the printer.  It just will not print ffrom the lap top.  Dell Inpirion 15 running win 8.1. 

HELP.. I am very irritated.

HP Recommended

Hi @hmsbss

I understand you are using your printer in single cartridge mode and are unable to print. I suggest running the HP Print and Scan Doctor to help identify/resolve the issue. The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free utility (tool) that helps to quickly resolve common printing, scanning and connectivity issues including but not limited to:

• Connectivity:
     USB: Verifies that the USB connection from your computer to the HP product is working correctly.
    Network: Verifies that the network connection between your computer and your network is working correctly.
  • Device Status Test: Checks for device errors such as out of paper, paper jams, carriage stalls, and paper feed issues, and then provides instructions for fixing the error.
  • Driver Check: Checks for missing or corrupt driver files.
  • Device Manager: Checks for problems in Device Manager that would prevent printing.
  • Device Online: Checks if the product has been paused or set to offline, and then sets the status back to online if necessary.
  • Print Queue: Checks for and clears pending print jobs in the print queue (a log of print jobs waiting to print).
  • Port Match: Checks the port settings for the HP product.
  • Device Conflicts: Checks for conflicts with other drivers, such as other printer brands.
  • Ink Issues: Checks the cartridges and ink levels for issues that affect print quality.
  • Print Settings: Checks and adjusts the print quality settings.
  • Test Print: Prints a test page for print quality evaluation, and provides options for cleaning and aligning the printhead if necessary.
  • Scan Tests: Checks the scan mechanism, drivers, and registry entries.
You can also click the Printer menu to find the additional features such as cleaning printheads, aligning printheads, checking ink levels, and viewing advanced printer data for your selected printer.

Click here to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor> www.hp.com/go/tools

Please let me know the outcome of the tests perform, you will see a wrench, a yellow exclamation mark, a red X, or a check mark next each tested item.

print and scan dr.JPG

I look forward to hearing from you. Knowing the outcome of the Print and Scan Doctor will help to point us in the right troubleshooting direction!  Smiley Happy

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.