Question

Top Student
iforld
Message 1 of 7 (4,170 Views)

My HP Photosmart printer will print but not scan on Win 7 home premium. 64 bit

HP Pavillion dv6645ca (Vista home premium - 32 bit) entertainment notebook and HP Photosmart c7280 all-in-one printer purchased January 2008.  Wireless throughout house. PERFECTION! CAN PRINT, SCAN, AND FAX.

HP Pavillion dv7-4127ca, Win 7 Home Premium. 64 bit entertainment notebook purchased January 2011. Can print via Photosmart c7280 but unable scan - not worried about fax - scan capability and download essential. Tried old orginal Photosmart CD to correct, supports Windows 2000, XP, Vista - version 9.0.1 NO JOY, will not work!

MS advise download HP version 13.1.0 which I have done. NO JOY CONTINUES, "NO SCANNERS OR FAX WERE DETECTED" but I can still print. Odd quirk, as I played with this, suddenly a fax message pad appeared but as I do not have any fax capability now (no phone line connected) I ignored it.          Where, what, now?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 7 (4,152 Views)

Re: My HP Photosmart printer will print but not scan on Win 7 home premium. 64 bit

[ Edited ]

iforld wrote:HP Pavillion dv6645ca (Vista home premium - 32 bit) entertainment notebook and HP Photosmart c7280 all-in-one printer purchased January 2008.  Wireless throughout house. PERFECTION! CAN PRINT, SCAN, AND FAX.

HP Pavillion dv7-4127ca, Win 7 Home Premium. 64 bit entertainment notebook purchased January 2011. Can print via Photosmart c7280 but unable scan - not worried about fax - scan capability and download essential. Tried old orginal Photosmart CD to correct, supports Windows 2000, XP, Vista - version 9.0.1 NO JOY, will not work!

MS advise download HP version 13.1.0 which I have done. NO JOY CONTINUES, "NO SCANNERS OR FAX WERE DETECTED" but I can still print. Odd quirk, as I played with this, suddenly a fax message pad appeared but as I do not have any fax capability now (no phone line connected) I ignored it.          Where, what, now?

Hello iforld, You would not be able to use any of the software for the other operating systems, since they are x86 (32 bit) and your operating system that you cannot get your printer to work on is x64 (64 bit).

You would need to download and install the software and drivers for Windows x64.

Here  is the link for these drivers and software package. Since you advised you already installed some of the other versions, I would suggest you uninstall all the previous versions before you install the Windows 7 x64 version.

You may already know this, but you need to not power the printer on or connect the USB cable to it until the install process advises to do it. You would also need to set this printer up on the Windows 7 as a wireless printer from within the Control Panel. You might want to uopdate the Vista system to this software as well, since it does support Vista x86.

Sometimes you need to have the printer connected to the computer with the USB cable for the software installation, and then set it up wireless.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Top Student
iforld
Message 3 of 7 (4,116 Views)

Re: My HP Photosmart printer will print but not scan on Win 7 home premium. 64 bit

Must have some connection as I could print before I started to look at essential scanning. The 32 versus 64 bit answer is suspect - gravitas! Beyond this, I cannot find any technical details on bit details for my HP Photosmart C7200 all-in-one. I am told that download of software version 13.1.0 (which I have done) assures the compatability of both laptop and Photosmart printer/scanner. The odd appearance of the fax window which I have never seen before - after a blunt  "no scanners no fax detected" - makes me wonder.

Tutor
Wolfshadow
Message 4 of 7 (4,081 Views)

[ Edited ]

How were you able to get it to even print?  I've been fighting with my C7280 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system for about a week now; the HP-supplied driver download for some bizarre reason does NOT work.

Top Student
iforld
Message 5 of 7 (4,057 Views)

From set-up of my HP Pavilion dv7-4127ca with 64 bit Windows home premium about two weeks ago, I could print via my wireless connected (downstairs in the basement) c7280 printer from Microsoft Word and Emails. Have played to get scanning capabiity which I need  badly without success - see prior notes. Have checked printing capability as outlined above this morning and all AOK!

However, HP Support Assistant, yesterday, originally said "offline" for my HP c7280 printer which is not correct as noted above. This morning I check again and it says N/A for the c7280 printer which is absurd as it is wirelessly connected and does work, but I still cannot scan!

Surely HP experts(?) do check this forum. I do have partial wireless connectivity between old c7280 printer and new Windows 7 HP Pavilion dv7-4127ca as noted above. HOW DO I MOVE ON TO GET ESSENTIAL SCANNING CAPABILITY? Get the little grey cells working, please.

Top Student
iforld
Message 6 of 7 (4,039 Views)

HP download feature appeared yesterday, once, that appeared to give answer to my problem on scanning. Didn't react immediately, needed time to think it through, the download number was totally different from previous recommended (which I have downloaded): 13.1.0 This item has now dissapeared and I can't find it. Whoever sent it previously, please repeat, thanks.

Top Student
iforld
Message 7 of 7 (3,993 Views)

Note for Wolfshadow. Have solved my problem. I am told (MS) that there is a in-built fractional ability to print with 64b Win7: the reason I was able to do so from email and Word. My scanning problems were overcome by download of HP 13.1.0: I now have full printing,scan and fax capability in my new dv7-4127ca, Win 7 64 bit when connected wirelessly, with my old (2008) HP Photosmart all-in-one, c7280. My old system (Vista 32 bit) also functions in all these areas AOK. 

Sounds to me you should download HP 13.1.0 with due caution. It took me two tries before I got it right!

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation