Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Deskjet F4480 All-in-One Printer:  My printer is making a horrendous, loud clicking noise (3-5 clicks) just when I click Print.  Once it starts the print cycle, the noise disappears.  The print copy is just fine.  There is no paper jam, ink problem or any other problem I can diagnose.   I would appreciate any help as to what is the problem and what can I do about it.  Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello GraceGram,

In order to get the best and most accurate response for your question, please submit your question onto the HP printer forums. You have posted on the desktop/notebook hardware forum. The link below will allow you to submit your question. It is possible that you might have to create another profile.

HP Printer Forum

If I have been helpful or if you'd like to say thank you for me trying to help, click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem! It just started happening this morning. Any luck in correcting it?

HP Recommended

No luck in correcting it.   I re-inserted the ink cartridges, looked in the front and in the back and see nothing loose or stuck.  It sounds like something breaking, but it's printing fine although my color is not quite as good.  Unfortunately my printer is 1 1/2 years old so no warranty.  It should not be breaking down so fast.  Does HP look at these posts?  Maybe they would know what is causing this problem.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my F2488.

Thought I would get some on-line support to fix the issue but the HP "customer care" numbers are useless! kept speaking to the IVR; couldn't get hold of a human, who could help me with the problem.

Can someone from HP support read this and revert immediately?

HP Recommended

I don't believe HP reads these chat mails unless someone reports it as "not appropriate".  If your printer is still under warranty you should be able to get support.  I would call the HP online store and you can get someone to talk to you.  They can direct/transfer you to the appropriate dept.  If over a year old, you would have to pay for support.  My printer finally quit and one of my friends who is a computer expert said the noise was caused by the carriage breaking.  It is not fixable.  I really liked my printer (I used it a lot).  However the F4480 is no longer in HP's line and their subsequent printers will not fit in the area I have for my printer either/or I will have to change the ink types.  I like the 60XL ink and do not want to use more than 2 cartridges.  Many of the new ones, require more than 2 cartridges.  So, I went to both eBay and Amazon and looked for a brand new F4480 printer in an unopened box.  I found them on both eBay and Amazon and the printer was slightly cheaper on Amazon.  The cost was $65.00 plus $4.99 shipping.  I bought it and it's now in transit.  Good luck in getting help.

HP Recommended

thanks man! my printer is no longer in warranty. but I have seen a lot of people facing this problem and it seems to be some manufacturing defect that causes this noise/malfunction. I will not replace the device. I want HP to provide me with a solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  Please let me know if HP provides a solution.  If it is a known manufacturing defect, I would expect to be reimbursed. 

HP Recommended
will someone from HP revert? need urgent solution please!!
HP Recommended

Same problem here with my J5780 Officejet. It's only 1 1/2 years old.  I had the same problem with the one before this one.  I refuse to keep buying a new one every year and a half.  Customer support via the phone was unhelpful. Soon I am going to take mine apart and get to the bottom of this and boycot HP.

HP Recommended

I believe the problem of broken carriages is caused by the ink cartridges being inserted improperly.  Be very careful and hold on to the carriage bar when inserting a cartridge, don't jam it in.  HP needs to re-design the area where ink cartridges are inserted.  Seems like there should be a simple solution.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.