Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer prints fine but lately when I try to print I get a loud noise much like a machine gun.  Should I trash it?

HP Recommended

my hp printer 4500 is making a rapid clacking noise on the side of the printer ink and when it stops everything works.

there is no paper jam

HP Recommended

My hp photosmart c4599  printer makes a extremely loud noise before it prints.  Once the noise goes away it prints.    It sounds like the noise is coming from the cartridge mechanism.  Does anyone have a solution?

HP Recommended

My HP C4780 made the same loud noise, right after my paper fed through the printer with such great force, that it knocked the back of the printer right off! It thereafter made the machine gun sound whenever I turned the printer on or pulled the front down to look inside the printer, and just before I'd tell it to print. It printed just fine, otherwise. So! I took my little flashlight and looked around inside to try to figure it out. I did notice that the sound was coming from the right side of the printer. I noticed a bunch of ink gunk in a couple of places, so i cleaned it out. Then, to see more, I moved the print cartridges out of my way, and a message came up that the cartridges were jammed. I follwed the resulting instructions on the printer screen, which was to turn the printer off, move the cartridges clear to the left, then clear to the right, then back to the center.  I turned it back on, it made a little noise, so I did the same thing again...and then nothing. No noise! For good measure, I ran a print test, did the "clean the print heads", and even did the "clean the back side of the paper" steps, and ran another print test.  It's been behaving ever since! No more loud noises, and the print quality is just fine. So my conclusion is that the cartridge thingy was pushed out of alignment when the paper jammed itself through the printer! (I still don't know why it did THAT, though.) I love this printer and hope to use it for several more years!

HP Recommended

My printer is making a continual, loud clicking noise for about 2 seconds  when I click Print.  Once the clicking noise has finished  it starts the print cycle,  The print copy is just fine.  There is no paper jam, ink problem or any other problem I can diagnose. can you please advise me on what I can do to stop this from happening.

thank you

HP Recommended
I had the same problem with my laser jet m1217.
I found out that a coin was inside. It must have rolled on top of a paper while it was printing.
HP Recommended

Same loud clicking started yesterday on my C4680.  Print fine.  Used your technique, but no joy.  Tried it again and again.  Still no joy.  Still clacking when I print a page.  Oh well....

HP Recommended

I too have the same problem (grinding noise) with an HP Deskjet5525. I am posting a picture to help.

It is now up to HP to say if there is a part to buy and replace this faulty motor (or the pump?)

Thanks

DSC_1852.JPG

HP Recommended

When I removed both cartridges, I had a HUGE buildup of black ink sitting on the soft foam pads below.

I gently scraped globs onto a screwdriver, until it was mostly removed.

That seems to have done the trick for my HP C-3180 All-In-One.

It was making that scary, machine gunfire sound!!

P.S. I also found a small plastic fragment in the same area, but the sound had been resolved when I did…so I think whatever was broken had no effect.

HP Recommended

we are the same problem friend, my printer is making noise like a machine gun.. how do i fix it..? help me please!

@bro37 wrote:

My printer prints fine but lately when I try to print I get a loud noise much like a machine gun.  Should I trash it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.