Question

Top Student
Puzzled46
Message 1 of 26 (14,131 Views)

New HP M2727 install in new HP Windows 7 Pavilion

Last week I bought a new HP Pavilion Elite e9250t with Win 7 64 bit installed.  This week I purchased a new HP M2727 to replace the 2 year old Dell MFP I was disappointed to learn was incompatible with 64 bit Win 7 and would never be supported.  After running the M2727 install CD today, I received the following message: "This software cannot be installed using the "Run as ..." command.

I am the only user on this new computer, and have administrator privileges.  The HP sales agent I "chatted" with said the M272 was Win 7 compatible, as does this webpage:

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/win7web/printer-support/us/en/laserjet.html

I relied upon those statements before making the purchase, but it appears those statements may not have been accurate.  After encountering the error using the install CD, the only webpage I can find for downloadable support for the M2727 is this one:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3377076&...

That webpage provides only PCL5, PCL6, and PS print drivers.  I do not believe those drivers are a full substitute for an install CD.  There are no instructions for installation of the drivers on a new M2727 that has never been installed on a new computer.  I'd rather not guess.

I would like to know: How can I overcome the install error on the CD?  If that cannot be done, how do I install the print drivers, and why are there three of them?  And finally, what functionality will I have, and what functionality will I not have, after installations of the print drivers?  Will I be able to scan, copy and fax as well as print?  If not, will HP provide downloadable files to make that possible, and if so, when?

I ask that HP support reps please provide me some answers to the above, so I can determine whether i need to return this M2727 to the retailer I purchased it from.  As soon as possible, I need to find an MFP that can work with my new HP Pavilion.  Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 26 (14,122 Views)

Re: New HP M2727 install in new HP Windows 7 Pavilion

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Read the following HP support document for Windows 7. Try the methods described. 

Please post your results here in your thread.

Be advised that this forum is user to user support and does not provide official answers from HP representatives. 

regards,
erico

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixed broken link

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Puzzled46
Message 3 of 26 (14,107 Views)

Thanks, Erico, did not know this forum was not a source for official answers from HP.  I checked the webpage you indicated, which offered three methods (for USB installation only unfortunately): CD, download, and Win 7 itself.  The install CD method does not work in my case, of course, and this webpage eliminates the third option, Win 7 support, for the M2727:

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/win7web/printer-support/us/en/laserjet.html

That leaves only the second, using the HP print drivers I mentioned in my first post.  While the webpage you provided has instructions for installing the downloaded drivers (one of my questions, thanks), it also seems to be the least satisfactory method of the three since the downloaded drivers are for printing support only (answering another of my questions, thanks again).  Also, in my case, I need a networked MFP, not a USB-only device, and it seems the downloadable drivers are limited to USB support only, according to this webpage

I assume that one day HP will correct this problem.   My last question is when.  In the meantime, I do not think the M2727 should be marketed as a Win 7 compatible machine by HP sales reps nor the HP website link I posted in my last.  I'll wait a day or two to see if there is any information on date of availability of updated software before I return it to the retailer.

Thanks again for your help, Erico.

Honor Student
harvardmann2
Message 4 of 26 (13,978 Views)

I am having the same issues - have you found an answer?

Also, does anyone know whether I can turn the m2727nf laser jet into a wireless printer?  I admit that I'm not sure how to "network" my computer, but is that the same thing as making it wireless?

Please help.

Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 26 (13,963 Views)

Hi,

harvardmann2 wrote:

I am having the same issues - have you found an answer?

Also, does anyone know whether I can turn the m2727nf laser jet into a wireless printer?  I admit that I'm not sure how to "network" my computer, but is that the same thing as making it wireless?

Please help.

Thanks.

Turning the m2727nf laserjet into a wireless printer will require purchase and use of a wireless print server which will broadcast its presence with the network name (SSID) of your choice. If your m2727nf  has an jetdirect (wired) printserver built in then you can connect it to a network. Configuration of the print server is necessary. 

Networking a computer involves either setting up a home or business network with a server or simply a homegroup (peer networking) through the use of CAT5 network cabling or wireless(wireless network cards and a wireless router or access point). Use of ipv4 or ipv6 subnetting is a must to ensure that all pc's in the network can communicate with each other.

Networking will take a bit of reading on your part to be able to successfully set up a wired or wireless network. 

regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Puzzled46
Message 6 of 26 (13,925 Views)

"I am having the same issues - have you found an answer?"

No, there was no answer.  I returned the M2727 printer as incompatible with 64 bit Win 7.  I had purchased it to replace a Dell printer I purchased two years ago.  But surprisingly, I found the Dell drivers I was able to download were more compatible with Win 7 than the M2727 drivers I downloaded from HP, contrary to Dell's own website.  Fortunately, I still had that printer.  I'm sure the M2727 will have compatible drivers some day, but I needed something that worked right now.

Honor Student
trunksy
Message 7 of 26 (13,880 Views)

Yeah, I wish I'd known these issues existed before I bought the printer. I figured out a way to manually install the Vista x64 driver rather than "unified print driver". The "unified print driver" is a complete joke. It doesn't do anything besides the basic print job. I'm still trying to figure out a way to print out of Tray 2 rather than Tray 3 on multipage documents. It always prints out of tray 2 on the first page and defaults back to tray 3 on all the resulting pages. Annoying!!!

Honor Student
harvardmann2
Message 8 of 26 (13,875 Views)

Trunsky,

am I reading your post correctly that you have Windows 7, installed the driver for the printer for Vista 64-bit and it's worked?  if so, can you tell me what the steps are to do this?

Tutor
Pirgnori
Message 9 of 26 (11,954 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Erico. Excellent site that solved provided easy-to-understand installation instructions for my m2727nf printer with Windows 7. See Erico's suggested site: HP support document for Windows 7. Following the site's instructions faithfully, I was able to install the .exe file. Now  I can scan, fax, copy and print.

Top Student
Terabytenet
Message 10 of 26 (11,193 Views)

[ Edited ]

The HP support document referenced here, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01793627&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en, contains no information.  Does anyone have an updated link.  We have a 2727nf that we also cannot get to work in Win7 x64.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation