Question

Student
DNewton
Message 1 of 2 (1,313 Views)

New LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP - Paper Tray Configuration Question

I just bought this and am trying to get it set up however, I would like to be able to reconfigure the default paper tray to Tray 2 as opposed to Tray 1.  I'll only be printing envelopes out of Tray 1 and it will be closed until I need an envelope. The instruction manual is not very informative as it simply says to "reconfigure the tray" but doesn't give any real instruction on HOW to reconfigure it. I have tried it from both the computer screen and from the printer control panel but every time I try to print something on letter size paper, it goes to Tray 1, puts up a message saying to insert paper and I have to push the "OK" button to have it bypass Tray 1 and go to Tray 2.

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 2 of 2 (1,298 Views)

Re: New LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP - Paper Tray Configuration Question

DNewton,

Not quite sure of a couple of things:

First are you leaving tray 1 open when you are trying to print from tray 2? Second, did you change any of the default settings of tray 1 or tray 2?

If tray 1 is closed, then your paper should always be pulling from tray 2. The only time this would change would be if you left tray 1 open, then it would pull from tray 1 first and whatever media you had there. This is how the product is designed.

Now to the second half of your question:  if you have changed the paper type in tray 2 to something other than what is acutally in the tray then you will get a message to insert the media and press okay, you might also get a media mismatch message (especially if the paper sizes don't match) and again press okay.

Here is a document that might help you out, please let me know if you need anymore help regarding this issue.

Configure Trays

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation