Office Jet 6500 (All in One) - Modem, fax, and phone on one line (5068 Views)
Honor Student
ridgeman
Message 1 of 14 (5,068 Views)
Accepted Solution

Office Jet 6500 (All in One) - Modem, fax, and phone on one line

How do I make the cable connections so that the 6500, computer modem (dsl), and phone can share one phone line?  Instructions for the 6500 indicate it must be hooked directly to the phone jack and that other devices are then connected to the 6500. 

Would this work?

a.  Connect 6500 to phone jack using #1 port on back on officejet.

b.  Connect another line from #2 port on back of officejet and split it to modem and phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (5,073 Views)

Re: Office Jet 6500 (All in One) - Modem, fax, and phone on one line

I would split the phone line at the wall, one line to your DSL, one to the Fax

I am employed by HP
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 14 (5,067 Views)

Also, connect teh phone to the Line 2 of the printer.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
ridgeman
Message 4 of 14 (4,989 Views)

You suggested splitting the phone line - one to fax and the other to DSL.  Then I would connect the phone from the #2 port on the fax - correct?  The phone has an answering machine.  How do I set up the fax and phone for answering?  This is the part that I am not clear about, or if it can even be done.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 14 (4,980 Views)

Dexter has another good suggestion above.  The printer should have two phone ports, one to plug into the wall for phone access and another to plug into your phone, so you would not need a splitter.  Also, many DSL routers provide a phone port that you could use for your fax.

Here is how I have my fax machine set up at home (one phone number into the house).  Get it set up, test the fax machine for dial tone, etc.  Set the Auto-Answer rings-to-answer to 3 (or some number less than what your answering machine answers in.  Now, set your fax to disable Auto-Answer.  This way the fax machine will not answer any phone call.  There may be a button on the front panel of the fax for this or you may need to get into the menu.

If someone wants to send you a fax, they call first, you tell them to have their fax machine call back.  Hang up and quickly switch your fax to Auto-Answer.  

I am employed by HP
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 14 (4,976 Views)

[ Edited ]

Setup the answering machine to answer after 4 rings, and set the printer to answer after 6 rings, and make sure the Auto Answer option is ON on the printer. When setup this way, the fax will only answer the fax calls and not the voice calls.

EDIT: Sorry for the late reply.

Message Edited by DexterM on 31/08/2009 10:59 PM
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 14 (4,972 Views)

Oh, good catch, Dexter.  If you are using an Answering Machine, set it up as Dexter recommended.  If it is Voicemail service from your phone provider, use my method.

Sorry for the confusion. 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ridgeman
Message 8 of 14 (4,950 Views)

I'm missing something:

In earlier reply, Dexter says: 

Setup the answering machine to answer after 4 rings, and set the printer to answer after 6 rings, and make sure the Auto Answer option is ON on the printer. When setup this way, the fax will only answer the fax calls and not the voice calls.

Holding the above thought, let me back up to the connections I believe have been suggested:  Wall phone jack to splitter (one to DSL and one to officejet), and then officejet to phone via #2 outlet on back of officejet.  If these connections are OK, here's where I don't understand Dexter's setup noted above:

If I set the phone answering machine to answer at 4 rings, how do any calls get thru to the officejet fax??  Won't all calls be taken by the phone?? 

Here's what I thought would have to happen:  I thought I would have to set the printer/fax at fewer rings than the phone, that I'd have to turn Auto Answer option OFF, and that people would have to contact me via phone when they were preparing to send a fax - at which point I'd turn Auto Answer On.

I just need clarification - can't seem to get my brain (or lack of) wrapped around this.

Thx in advance for all the help!!

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 9 of 14 (4,972 Views)

Forgive me for not explaining the setup and how it works. When you recieve a phonecall, your answering machine will answer the call first. Once it does, the fax will eavesdrop the call and listen for fax tones. If it hears the fax tones, it'll take over the call and start recieving the fax. If it doesnt hear any fax tones, it'll leave the phonecall alone. That is why the TAM needs to be connected to the 2-EXT port and set the TAM to answer the call first.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
sdb Honor Student
Honor Student
sdb
Message 10 of 14 (4,084 Views)

Your solutions are excellent, now I have another question for you.... I have a new OfficeJet J4680 and am trying to set up the Fax.  I have one analog phone line in the house.  I have a DEC 6.0 Telephone/Answering machine (TAM?) that plugs into the wall on the second floor of my 3 story house, which then broadcasts to 3 other phone handsets (not plugged into wall phone jacks) throughout the house.  (The phone line has no special features on it).  My dilemna is this - the OfficeJet printer is in my home office on the First floor of the House - connected to the computer via USB cable.  Since the printer/fax are on a different floor than the TAM, I can't physically plug the TAM into the 2-Ext port on the back of the Fax/Printer (unless I were to run a really long phone cord up the stairs...which I obviously don't want to do...).  I would appreciate your suggestions.  I've thought of 2 solutions, but haven't tested either one - I'm hoping to learn from your expertise first.

1) Just leave the TAM connected to the wall phone jack on the second floor, and connect the Fax/Printer (via which port - 1-EXT port, or 2-Ext ?) to the wall phone jack on the first floor.  I'm not sure if this would work, or if there would be a conflict with the fax answering incoming phone calls.

2) I could try to do what I did with my old stand-alone Brother Fax machine (which was piece of...and now resides in the garage recycling bin, having been thankfully replaced by the ne J4680).  What I did, was purchase a Telehone A/B switch from Radio Shack.  I plugged the fax into the B side, then whenever someone wanted to send me a fax (or I wanted to send a fax) I pushed the "B" button on the switch and the fax worked fine.  The only problem was that I couldn't receive faxes automatically - I had to chat with the person first and tell them to hang up while I hit the fax "B" button on the switch to turn on the fax, then have their fax machine call back.  Also, I frequently forgot to turn the A/B switch back to "A" so the the fax would be disconnected and the phone would turn back on - then we never heard the phone ring when someone called us, and they heard fax tones.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Obviously the ideal solution would allow us to have the fax on all the time, without having to plug the TAM into it.

On a separate note - My PC is old and has USB 1.0 ports which I've used to plug the J468 into - seems to be working fine (although I suspect the USB 1.0 port is slowing the printer down).  However, I also put a separate USB 2.0 Hub on the PC.  Would I be better off connecting the OfficeJet to the USB 2.0 Hub?  I'd think it would be faster for the printer, but I seem to remember reading something somewhere that said peripherals work better when connected directly to the PC's built in ports rather than external Hub ports.

Again, many thanks for your advice.

Scott

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation