Question

Student
andreaxgau
Message 1 of 4 (3,275 Views)

OfficeJet 6500 wireless printer cartridge carriage stuck to the right

I can't change the cartridges in my OfficeJet 6500 because the carriage doesn't move!  I can't get it to move from out of the far right position.  I tried to manually move it with the unit unplugged, but couldn't budge it.  Does anyone know how to get the carriage to move to the center of the unit?  I called HP support and they said it was a hardware problem.  I'm hoping to fix this myself.

Student
josephbdiehl
Message 2 of 4 (3,193 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500 wireless printer cartridge carriage stuck to the right

I had the same problem today. 

The first thing to do is a "full reset and relocation" which returns the printer to its original state.  You have to move it into another room and away from the same 110v outlet you were originally using (for some reason).

That did not work for me. 

They are asking me to send it in and they will replace it. 

But while online with the customer service rep, I created a "work around" with him but I would not recommend it (as it might void the warranty for you if it doesn't work out right).  You can send a print job to the printer...when it is almost done printing, open up the printer...the carriage arm will hesitate before it shoots back over to the right.  During that one or two second period, lift up the gray handle to the right of the ink cartridge bay.  This will freeze the carriage in the position that it is at.  (at least it did for me).  (If it is still in the wrong position, try printing again, and as you lift up the lid, pull the power cord out of the back...this should freeze the cartridge bay in its place).  Replace the cartridges as needed.  Turn off the machine and close the gray handle.  Close everything  up, and then turn the printer back on.  For me, it showed a full ink cartridge and it seemed to be working (except for the carriage arm - still staying to the right even though all other things appear normal).  

It seems we are the only two people facing this problem. Keep in mind, the full replacement is offered during the first year.  Also remember that the cost of this printer was not that much.  For me though, it was the first time I replaced cartridges or was trying to...so it is annoying. 

Good luck!

Top Student
Kauilani
Message 3 of 4 (450 Views)

Hi!

I'm having an issue with the carriage being stuck on the right and not moving at all. I've tried moving it manually but it won't budge. The display keeps telling me paper jam. I've tried all the troubleshooting possible and nothing. This is so fustrating! Any thoughts would appreciated! :smileyhappy:

Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 4 of 4 (439 Views)

Hello kauilani,

I understand that the printers carriage is stuck on the right side, and you are getting the message that there is a paper jam. I have included the document 'A 'Carriage jam' or '0X610000F6' Message Displays on the Control Panel'. If you are unable to move the carriage manually, then at this point the printer would no longer be functional.

Please let me know if the troubleshooting steps have resolved the issue, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation