Question

Top Student
mbelsey
Message 1 of 10 (5,312 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 6700 cannot find connected printer on wireless network

Printer is connected to my wireless network.

Diagnostic printout shows PASS for everything and I have ip (192.168.2.19 DHCP)

The printer is able to connect to the internet to download updates and pull content for the apps (coloring pages etc...)

I have disabled my windows firewall to troubleshoot, but the HP software was listed as exceptions anyway.

Using printer connection wizard on my computer I have entered both the IP and the hostname but it is 'unable to find the printer'.

My router is a netgear WNDR3700.

The ssid I am connected to is the correct one.  I have a guest network as well, but it doesn't broadcast it's ssid and I am not connected to it.

I am getting very frustrated.  I am tech-saavy and this should be much easier than this.

I wonder if someone else has run into this issue and if anyone can offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 10 (5,295 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6700 cannot find connected printer on wireless network

Hi mbelsey,

If you enter the IP address (192.168.2.19) in the address bar of IE does it open the EWS - Embedded Web Server of the printer?

Can you ping the IP address from the command prompt?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
mbelsey
Message 3 of 10 (5,291 Views)

As soon as I tried it this evening, I was actually able to ping the printer.  Then I was able to bring up the web interface as well.

When I clicked on one of the menu items in the web interface it said it needed to use https and was about to redirect.

It never successfully came back up for me, even just at http://192.168.2.19

This IS further than I got before however.  I was unable to even get to the web interface before.

I did download the print and scan doctor tool before and it did not find any devices.

It still does not find devices.

Strange that it seemed to be responsive even if only for about a minute.

Any other thoughts?  I really want to be able to use this on my wireless network if possible.  I don't have any free ports on my router.

Thanks for your help.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 10 (5,284 Views)

Hi mbelsey,

If you are still unable to access the EWS or ping the printer then there is something in the operating system blocking the communication with the router.

What operating system are you using?

How far is the printer from the router?

What is the IPv4 address for your wireless adapter in the computer?

1. Type cmd in run or search for programs and files

2. Right click on cmd to run as administrator

3. Type ipconfig /all

4. Note the IPv4 address for the computer

1.jpg

Once you are successfully able to ping the printer IP address or access the EWS you should be able to get the printer detected in the software installation. Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
mbelsey
Message 5 of 10 (5,277 Views)

I am using Windows 7, 64bit

Printer is about 15 feet from router.  The printer is connected to the router and was able to do an initial update over the internet.

IP of printer is 192.168.2.19

IP of my computer is 192.168.2.5

IP of Router is 192.168.2.1

I am still unable to ping the printer, though it did work just one time which seems odd.

I have the windows firewall enabled, but I see listings for various HP apps in there, presumably added during the install of the printer software.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 10 (5,272 Views)

Hi mbelsey,

Since you are unable to ping the printer from the computer then there is something in the operating system blocking the communication with the printer.

Do you have any other firewall/security programs other than windows firewall installed on the computer?

Can you access the printers EWS from another computer on the network?

Follow the steps below to create a new admin account, and then see if you are then able to access the EWS or ping the printers IP address.

Windows 7 and Windows Vista allows you to have multiple users sharing the same computer under their own individual accounts. This allows each individual user to have their own location on the computer where they can store their personal documents, pictures, videos, saved games, and other personal data. This also allows the owner of the computer to assign certain accounts the ability to perform administrative tasks like installing software, while limiting other user's abilities.

This tutorial will walk you through creating a new account in Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button () in the lower left corner of your screen that has a Windows flag on it.
  2. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
  3. When the control panel opens you will see a screen similar to Figure 1 below.
    Figure 1. Windows 7 Control PanelFigure 1. Windows 7 Control Panel
  4. Click on the Add or remove user accounts control panel option as shown by the red arrow in figure 1.
  5. You will now be in the Manage Accounts control panel as shown in Figure 2 below.
    Figure 2. Manage Accounts screen in Windows 7Figure 2. Manage Accounts screen in Windows 7
    This screen shows all the accounts currently on your computer. To create a new account, click on the Create a new account option as shown by the red arrow above.
  6. You will now be at the Create New Account screen.
    Figure 3. Create New Account screenFigure 3. Create New Account screen
    In the New account name field enter the name of the new account that you would like to create. This could be a person's first name, full name, or whatever other designation you would like to give. You then need to decide which of the two types of accounts you would like to create. An Administrator account has full access to the computer and can make all changes, install software, and create and delete accounts. The other type of account is Standard user and has limited privileges as to what settings and changes it can make to the computer. It is suggested that for all users, you set them as a Standard User account and have one administrator account that you can logon to as needed. This will protect your computer from malware and other harmful activities.
    When you have finished selecting a name and the type of account you wish to setup, you should click on the Create Accountbutton.
  7. Your new account will have been created and you will see it listed in the Manage Accounts screen.
    Figure 4. New user has been createdFigure 4. New user has been created
    As you can see our new user, named Test Account, has been created.

Now when you start Windows 7 or Vista, you will see the additional account listed in the logon screen. That user can then select their login name and login into their profile so they can access their private data.

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
mbelsey
Message 7 of 10 (5,267 Views)

No other firewall installed.

Microsoft Security essentials is installed on all computers on my network.

Cannot ping from another computer on network.

Cannot access EWS from another computer.

My account is an admin account already and the account I tried from on the other computer is as well.

Any other ideas?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 8 of 10 (5,258 Views)

Hi mbelsey,

Using the steps below reset the defaults on the printer. Reconnect the printer to the wireless network using the assigned DHCP address from the router. Once you have it connected try accessing the EWS and Ping the printer. Let me know what you find out?

Step one: Restore the network default settings on your product

Follow these steps to restore the network default settings on your HP product.
  1. Press the Power button  to turn on the product.
  2. On the product control panel, touch the Right Arrow, to display the second navigation screen.
  3. Touch Setup, and then touch Network .
  4. Touch the Down Arrow, and then touch Restore Network Defaults .
  5. Touch Yes to confirm your selection. The product restores your network default settings.
  6. Touch the home icon to return to the main control panel screen.

Step two: Connect to the wireless network

Follow these steps to connect your product to the wireless network.

Important : In addition to connecting your product to the network, you might need to reconnect other network devices that were previously on the network using the new network configuration.
  1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
  2. Touch the Right Arrow to display the second navigation screen.
  3. Touch Setup, and then touch Network .
  4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard , and then touch Continue . The Wireless Setup Wizard searches for networks, and then displays them in a list.
  5. If necessary, touch the Down Arrow to scroll through the network names until you find yours.
  6. Touch the name of your network, and then touch OK.
    If the list does not contain your network name, touch Refresh . The Wireless Setup Wizard searches for networks again, and then displays them in another list. Check the list for your network.
    What if my network name is still not in the list?
    If you still do not see your network name on the product control panel, follow these steps to enter it manually.
    1. Touch the Down Arrow until you see Enter New Network Name (SSID) .
    2. Touch Enter New Network Name (SSID) .
    3. On the on-screen keyboard, touch the appropriate letters and numbers to type the network name (SSID) into the Enter Network Namewindow.

NOTE:Make sure that you type the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters exactly. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    4. When you finish typing the new network name, touch OK .
    5. Touch Infrastructure Mode , and then touch WEP encryption or WPA encryption .
    6. If you do not want to use encryption (a security password), touch No encryption , and then go to the next step.

7. If prompted, enter the WEP key or WPA key:
    How to enter a WEP key or WPA key
    1. Find the WPA key or WEP key on the HP Print and Scan Doctor.
    2. Touch the appropriate letters or numbers on the on-screen keyboard to type the key into the Enter Wireless Passwordwindow.

NOTE:You must type the exact uppercase and lowercase letters. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    3. When you are finished entering the WEP key or WPA key, touch Done , and then touch OKto confirm.
      The product attempts to connect to the network.

8. Wait while the product connects to the network, and then prints a wireless network test report.
I am an HP employee.

Top Student
mbelsey
Message 9 of 10 (5,249 Views)

Had to do this a couple of times, but ultimately was able to get connected and stay connected.

1. Restored Defaults

2. Used the wizard on the printer control panel to get connected. (this time I got a different ip)

3. Connected to the printer from my computer browser.

4. Went to network setup in browser and changed it to static IP

- Was able install ePrint app on my android phone and print an image.

- Was able to configure printer driver etc... on computer and print a test page.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 10 of 10 (5,235 Views)

Hi mbelsey,

Thank you for the update. Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation