OfficeJet G85 scanner driver not found during installation in WinXP (1623 Views)
Honor Student
TinyMole
Message 1 of 7 (1,623 Views)

OfficeJet G85 scanner driver not found during installation in WinXP

Hi,

I've had an OfficJet G85 working reliably in Win XP for many years.  Recently it stopped allowing me to scan from the PC or using the Scan To button.  The scanner hardware seems ok as it copies and faxes.

Tried fixing by removing the HP software and drivers - thoroughly.  Then re-installed the software package.  When re-installing the drivers (latest version is also the one I had previously loaded) everything seems to work until the unit is connected to the USB port.  Plug and play recognises the hardware and tries to install the drivers, but can't seem to find the drivers for the scanner only.  Printer and fax drivers install ok.

The installation wizard for the scanner fails with the message "Cannot Install this Hardware" and "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software" (See image)

Can anyone please help?  I have followed all HP instructions exactly for removing and re-installing, including installing software first and then turning on and re-connecting the device.

TIA,

Tiny Mole

DIALOG.JPG

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 2 of 7 (1,600 Views)

Re: OfficeJet G85 scanner driver not found during installation in WinXP

Hello TinyMole,

First of all you could test to see if you can scan already as it is. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories and then Scanner and Camera Wizard.

Second I would suggest making sure that the latest service pack is installed for Windows XP (install it via Windows Update or directly from Microsoft's website).

If that does not detect the scanner you might be able to install the scanner drivers manually. Click on Start and then right-click My Computer and click on Manage. Click on Device Manager and see if you can find either Imaging Devices or Other Devices in the list. Under one of these there should be an entry with a yellow dot and an exclamation mark on it (also probably called something with Officejet G series). Right-click this entry and select Update Driver. In the Wizard that appears, select the second option (Install from a list or specifica location) and click Next. Then place a checkmark in front of where it says "Include this location in the search" and click on the Browse button. Browse to the folder where the installation files for the Officejet G85 are placed (this should be in either C:\temp or C:\Documents and Settings\[your account]\local settings\temp and a folder which might be named something like hp_officejet_g_series). Click OK to get back to the Installation Wizard and then just click Next to go through it.

Honor Student
TinyMole
Message 3 of 7 (1,599 Views)

Hi Pontus_N,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the suggested remedies with the following results:

1.  Scanner and Camera Wizard fails with the message "Cannot detect the scanner or camera"

2.  My copy of Windows XP is up to date.  Automatic updates are on, and I've double checked by running Windows Update.

3.  The scanner appears in Device Manager under Other Devices, with a yellow question mark, as "HP OfficeJet G85 Scanner".  Windows seems to detect the hardware ok but doesn't install the driver software. 

When I try to install the driver manually using the method you suggest, I get the same result as in my original post.  I point the wizard to "C:\Temp\hp officejet g series\CDImage\Drivers\winXP".

HP Director, the printer and fax drivers are installed ok.  I can initiate copying and faxing from HP Director.

BTW, the driver file I downloaded from HP is   A140609_ENU_XP.exe.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus, but turned real-time protection off during installation of the HP drivers.

Is it possible that the problem is a hardware issue with the scanner itself? I had assumed it isn't, since it works fine for copying.

I'm baffled! 

Regards,

Tiny Mole

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 4 of 7 (1,597 Views)

Hello TinyMole,

All right, as you say, it's very unlikely that the scanner is defect as copying and faxing works. First thing I would try, just in case, is to make sure that the USB cable is connected to one of the USB ports on the back of the PC, sometimes the ones on the front might not work properly with a device like a scanner.

Next I would suggest properly uninstalling the drivers and software and then installing it again. To do this, unplug the USB cable from the computer, browse to C:\Temp\hp_officejet_g_series\CDImage\setup and double-click on the file called Setup.msi. This will start the installation but you will have an option for uninstalling the printer (there is also an uninstall utility located in C:\Temp\hp_officejet_g_series\CDImage\setup\uninstaller\enu called hposcr01.exe but from what I recall running Setup.msi and using the uninstall option there should be just fine). When it's done, restart the PC, disable any firewalls (just in case they interfere with the installation of the scan drivers) and start the installation. When the message to plug in the USB cable appears, make sure to use one of the USB ports on the back of the PC.

If this doesn't work, see if you can't use the System Restore option in Windows to set the OS back to a point when the scanner worked.

Honor Student
TinyMole
Message 5 of 7 (1,591 Views)

Hi Pontus_N,

I tried your suggestion of using the USB port at the back of the PC, without success.  I'm still trying to figure out how you could see it was plugged into the front? :-)

Reluctant to do a system restore as I'm nervous of side effects.

However, I believe I have stumbled on a solution.  I looked at a laptop which also had the drivers installed, to see what might be different.  In the C:\windows\inf  folder of the laptop there were a few hp*.inf files which were missing from the desktop PC.  I copied the ones called hpojscan.inf, and hpojscan.pnf to the other machine.  Then opened Device Manager and Updated the driver for the scanner, and hey presto, it installed and is now working! :smileyvery-happy:

How the files got there originally and why they were now missing I don't know, but i'm very happy that my trusty old OfficeJet G85is fully working again (10 years and over 52000 pages printed, and counting).  Maybe I'll get another 10 years out of it?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Tiny Mole

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 6 of 7 (1,584 Views)

Hello TinyMole,

Aaahh, brilliant, good to hear that you got it working again! I really do hope that you get another 10 years of use out of it, then you can perhaps sell or donate it to an HP or general printer museum... if something like that exists...

Student
annajdavis
Message 7 of 7 (977 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi My G85 scanner has also stopped working.  I have looked everywhere for those drivers would it be possible for you to share the drivers with me so I can get my G85 back up and running.  The printer and fax workes great, I can still copy but I really want to scan and as you said this is such a work horse I really want to keep it for now.

Ok since my post I found a old laptop I was able to open and retrieve the drivers but they would not work. I was sad the fix would not work for me so I guess I have to purchase a new printer.  Just amazing that only 2 weeks ago my scanner worked just fine and now the drivers are gone, makes me never want to let HP send me another update, when I get my new printer I will be sure to cut off auto update.

Anna Davis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation