Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've just taken delivery of an OfficeJet Pro 6830. I've installed the ink cartridges and it seems to be able to print copies and test pages, but I can't get it to connect to my network. Here's what I've tried:

Using the Wireless Setup Wizard

I selected my network from the list and entered my WPA key. It says it's trying to connect, then the following happens:

1. Briefly (for less than a second) a screen pops up showing that it has successfully connected to the network.

2. Briefly (for less than a second) the screen flashes blue with a "power" icon and the text "B8B2A4F8" (which I presume is an error code).

3. The screen display changes to "Printer Error: There is a problem with the printer. Turn the printer Off, then On."

4. After restarting the printer, it complains that it has not been shut down properly.

Any further attempts to connect yield the same results.

Ethernet connection

If I power the printer on while it is connected via an Ethernet cable to my network, after about 10 seconds it crashes as described above (steps 2 and 3) without me doing anything at all.

I've also tried a "Hard Reset" (i.e. unplugging the printer for 60 seconds, then powering it back on again). This made no difference whatsoever.

I did manage to get it to connect to a WiFi hotspot on my mobile phone (and I checked for firmware updates, but unfortunately there were none available), so it seems there's something about my network that the printer doesn't like. I have no idea what that could be, however. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved it!

I spent a bit of time on the phone with HP's tech support, and the guy couldn't actually solve the problem for me but he did help me to prove that the printer's network hardware is working OK. I was able to connect the printer directly to my PC via Ethernet, then ping it and access the embedded web server.

It occurred to me that maybe the problem was DHCP-related, seeing as the printer was crashing immediately upon connecting to the network. My router is an Asus RT-N66u with custom firmware (Asuswrt-Merlin version 376.48_3) and I could see in the router logs that it was sending a DHCP acknowledgement to the printer just before it died.

So here's what I did to fix the problem:

1. Disabled the DHCP server on the router.

2. On the printer, tapped the wireless network icon on the home screen (in the middle at the bottom).

3. Tapped the "gear" icon at the bottom left (settings).

4. Tapped "Wireless Settings".

5. Tapped "Wireless Setup Wizard".

6. Selected my wireless network and entered the WPA key. No crash this time, but it didn't get assigned an IP address (obviously).

7. Back in "Wireless Settings", I tapped "Advanced Settings".

8. Tapped "IP Settings".

9. Tapped "Manual (Static)".

10. Entered the details for my network - yours will probably be different, but I entered the following:

IP Address: 192.168.002.201 (I chose this because it's outside the range of addresses the router issues for DHCP).

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.002.001

DNS Address: 192.168.002.001

11. Tapped "Apply".

12. Re-enabled the DHCP server on my router.

And now it works!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

I had a similiar problem, I made two changes, one or both of them fixed the problem.

(1) The printer seems to default to IPv6.  I have Road Runner and we are still IPv4, not sure about other ISP's around the country.   I had to disable IPv6 in the Advanced Wireless settings (I also changed it in the wired settings to be very sure).  

(2) This still did not seem to fix my problem, which I still have not identified; however, restarting the router fixed whatever it was.

Good Luck

HP Recommended
Thanks for the tips! Sadly, after disabling IPv6 in both wireless and wired settings, and restarting my router, I'm still seeing the same problem.
HP Recommended

Solved it!

I spent a bit of time on the phone with HP's tech support, and the guy couldn't actually solve the problem for me but he did help me to prove that the printer's network hardware is working OK. I was able to connect the printer directly to my PC via Ethernet, then ping it and access the embedded web server.

It occurred to me that maybe the problem was DHCP-related, seeing as the printer was crashing immediately upon connecting to the network. My router is an Asus RT-N66u with custom firmware (Asuswrt-Merlin version 376.48_3) and I could see in the router logs that it was sending a DHCP acknowledgement to the printer just before it died.

So here's what I did to fix the problem:

1. Disabled the DHCP server on the router.

2. On the printer, tapped the wireless network icon on the home screen (in the middle at the bottom).

3. Tapped the "gear" icon at the bottom left (settings).

4. Tapped "Wireless Settings".

5. Tapped "Wireless Setup Wizard".

6. Selected my wireless network and entered the WPA key. No crash this time, but it didn't get assigned an IP address (obviously).

7. Back in "Wireless Settings", I tapped "Advanced Settings".

8. Tapped "IP Settings".

9. Tapped "Manual (Static)".

10. Entered the details for my network - yours will probably be different, but I entered the following:

IP Address: 192.168.002.201 (I chose this because it's outside the range of addresses the router issues for DHCP).

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.002.001

DNS Address: 192.168.002.001

11. Tapped "Apply".

12. Re-enabled the DHCP server on my router.

And now it works!

HP Recommended

Absolutely Spot On!

Give that man a ceegar...

Was ready to take this back to where it came from in the morning. Quick couple of minutes work with the correct information solved it. 

Advice for HP Support - Up Ya Game!!!

This is mentioned a number of occasions in the forums and nobody had the answer except for this Fella... POOR POR SHOW

Cheers EclecticMonk - You the Man!

HP Recommended
I'm glad I could help 🙂
Just as a matter of interest, what model is your router?
HP Recommended

Hey,

Its a non branded variety. The BT Home Hub...

I have a feling its the way we initiated the setup, you have options at the beginning, the first one is the recommended option which I didnt choose. Can you remember your initial setup procedure?

Cheers

HP Recommended
It was so long ago, I can't remember. I tend to set things up manually though - I'm not fond of automated setup procedures 🙂

Interesting that you're using a Home Hub, which is from a completely different manufacturer etc. I half suspected my problem was due to using a slightly exotic router with custom firmware, but apparently not. It seems HP might have a major problem related to DHCP with this printer.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem exactly. both wireless and wired (ethernet). Always shows error B8B2A4F8 for a very short time.

Solution above from EclecticMonk also worked for me (turn off DHCP on router, set up fixed/static IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS on printer, etc).

Printer: HP Officejet Pro 6835 (Costco) - firmware version PNP1CN1419BR

Router: Asus RT-N66U  - latest OEM firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3754, not custom

wireless/wired connection work fine on a different router.

Annoying problem to say the least. While the solution "worked", this is really not acceptable. This problem really requires a firmware fix from HP. None of my many other devices had a problem with this router in any way.  I can't recommend this printer to friends in its current state. Printer may be going back to Costco. I really like the printer otherwise. I've had an Officejet 6110xi and 6500A before this one.

HP Recommended

Thank you for sloving this problem. I have been call HP three times about this and they can't figure out the problem you are a life saver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.