OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910 will not scan to folder - Windows 8 Pro (2735 Views)
Top Student
Colin415
Message 1 of 7 (2,735 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910 will not scan to folder - Windows 8 Pro

I upgraded my HP M9500Y PC from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro.

My printer is the HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910.  Under Windows 7, all print/scan/fax functions worked flawlessly.  

Under Windows 8, printing works without a problem, however, the scan to folder function is failing.

When a document is scanned, the printer appears to be scanning correctly, but the destination folder shows a zero-length file with the new file name.  I've tried both PDF and JPEG scans.  All attempts produce zero-length files in the destination folder.

I've tried changing the destination folder path by substituting the IP address for the PC name, but that made no difference.  The destination folder is correctly shared on the Windows network and the HP web-based setup utility for scanning to folders indicates that all tests were successful.

What is the setup sequence so Windows 8 will accept scan-to-folder operations.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 7 (2,721 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910 will not scan to folder - Windows 8 Pro

Hi,

Do you have the latest firmware installed on your printer?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02830943&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4083969&tmp...

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
Colin415
Message 3 of 7 (2,718 Views)

That did the trick!

Thanks for your help.

Honor Student
Mills1234
Message 4 of 7 (2,579 Views)

I'm experiencing the same problem, however I have the latest firmware.

1. I'm operating Win8 64bit with 64bit drivers installed.

2. My printer is connected via a wireless network.

3. It operated flawlessly under Win7 and still does.  I have other Win7 PCs connected to it wirelessly.

4. I can scan to a folder from the Solution Center, but I cannot from the printer itself.

5. I also receive a 0 length PDF file when I scan.

6. If I select "Scan Settings" and then "Scan to... Setup" from the Solution Center, I receive a long error message dialog indicating it could not communicate with the device.  I have performed all of the functions listed in the error dialog mulitiple times, with no success.  I'm at my wits end attempting to get this work correctly.

7. I receive a similar error when I select "Scan Settings" and then "Front Panel Scan Button Settings" and then click the "Scan to Setup (Front Panel List)... from the Front Panel Scan Button tab.

I really need this feature.  I wish there was an easy solution.

Top Student
Colin415
Message 5 of 7 (2,574 Views)

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

Try this:

1. Download the latest version of the OfficeJet Pro 8500-A910 driver from HP (OJ8500_A910_Basicx64_1315.exe).

2. Delete the existing OfficeJet Pro 8500 from the Printers window.

3. Run the .exe file to Install the new driver from HP.

4. After installation, return to the Printer's window and delete the 8500 again.

5. Now, using the Add printer function, let Windows search for the 8500 and then select it from the list for installation.

There is a second driver from HP named OJ8500_A910_1315.exe that you may also want to try.

Honor Student
Mills1234
Message 6 of 7 (2,560 Views)

Thanks Colin,

I neglected to mention that the model of my printer is is an OJ 8500 A909g, not the A910.  I attempted to do what you recommended, but couldn't find the basic driver for my printer.  I wasn't going to attempt to use the A910 driver.

I uninstalled the driver and used various reg cleaners to insure all remnants were gone.  I attempted to use the Enterprise driver, it didn't work.  I removed the printer and added it back.  That didn't work.  I then uninstalled the software again and added the full version.  Every time I do that I end up receiving an installation error.  I'm not having any luck. 

I would upload the error message, but can't host it anywhere and therefore can't post it.  The extended error message text is

8, [(1,0, -2147221164)]

Top Student
Colin415
Message 7 of 7 (2,555 Views)

I know how frustrating this can be.

Thinking back on all of my troubleshooting efforts with this issue, I remember that the other PCs on my network with their existing  8500 printer drivers seemed to be interferring with the Windows 8 PC wireless HP driver setup.

Try this:

1. Delete the 8500 printer in the Printers window from each  of the other PCs -  one by one ( not  the drivers themselves, only the printer from the Printers window).

2. Delete and re-Add the 8500 on your Windows 8 PC for wireless access ( let Windows search for the wireless printer.)

3. Share the 8500 only  from the Windows 8 PC.

3. Then, Re-Add the 8500 printer to each of the other PCs through the search process.

One thing I'll point out is that my current HP printer setup does not   display the old HP OfficeJet applet that I used to see under Windows 7, but instead only displays the embedded web server panel.  Windows 8 doesn't seem to like the HP applet.  From the web server panel you can perform all fax, scan and print functions and see ink status.  I created a shortcut on my Win8 desktop to open this embedded web server panel directly from the printer.  Also, as I originally mentioned, after the firmware update and the installation of the basic 64-bit HP driver, the scan to file folder function directly from the printer started working again.

There seems to be a "magic" sequence of installation/setup steps that HP isn't clearly describing for the 8500 and Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.  I must have stumbled on the correct sequence accidentally and can't really recall the exact process.

I wish I could be more helpful.

HP web server-1.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation