Question

Tutor
User99
Message 1 of 19 (19,966 Views)

Officejet 4500 G510g will not install

PC is a new HP  Pavilion 6522f running Windows 7 pro 64-bit.   Printer does not install anything - fatal error.  Tried latest drivers from HP (both full and basic), always the same error.  Plugging in USB made PC try to install its own driver.  No luck.  Diagnostic says driver is missing (duh).   HP telephone support with various remote tweaks  not successful do far.   What do I do?

Error message is:

Fatal error  MSI.  Net device manager=40"

Teacher
DanielH
Message 2 of 19 (19,957 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 G510g will not install

[ Edited ]

Is the drivers that you're trying to install 64 bit as well? Ensure that your printer is plug onto the usb port of your comp and power on both device and try letting win 7 detect and assign a driver for it, if it doesn't. next go into device manager>imaging device/printer and update the drivers software from sub menu, next browse my computer for driver software>let me pick a list of device drivers on my computers. And choose those drivers that are digitally sign

If still no go i'll suggest you to search automatically drivers instead rather than browse my computer for driver software

Tutor
User99
Message 3 of 19 (19,941 Views)

Thanks for reply.

I tried both basic and full drivers, from HP website, selecting Win 7 64-bit from the choices offered in the drop down. 

After driver install fail, plugged in USB to PC, Win tried to load a driver, no success.  In control panel/printers, printer icon shows up only when plugged in, with yellow warning triangle. 

Searched for driver by browsing and automatically, could not find anything.  It's not in PC.

The fix for this might be getting my money back from Microcenter.

Looks like I've tried everything.

Tutor
User99
Message 4 of 19 (19,931 Views)

After talking with 3 support people on HP's support tel number, the 4th guy downloaded a patch that allows basic printing, scanning, copying and fax.   They will call me soon for a complete solution to get the full software installed.  I suggest they let people know.  I assume they will update the driver.

BTW, I called a Microsoft support number, and got some subcontractor - maybe I misdialed and they were squatters.   They did a 30-second scan on  my PC remotely.  Said I had mslware and they would fix everything for  $160.   It was total BS.  i didn't fall for it and neitherr should anyone else.

Tutor
User99
Message 5 of 19 (19,886 Views)

Here's the end of the saga.  All attempts by HP tech support to load the proper driver software failed.  This includes the help of Microsoft tech support.  After spending several hours a day for several days on this, I decided to pull the plug (so to speak). 

I bought an Epson 520, which on sale was about the same price as the 4500, plus has wireless capability.

Software installed perfectly in about  5 minutes, printer works perfectly, and the 4500 goes into the dump (threw away the box so no return).   60 bucks and and about 25 hours of my time down the tubes.  I'm not donating it to anyone, and not putting it in the recycle area.  I want the satisfaction of tossing it into the dump and hearing the crash at the bottom.

Top Student
yrefanid
Message 6 of 19 (19,735 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with just bought my Officejet 4500. I cannot install it on Windows 7 64 bit, whereas I managed install it on Windows XP 32 bit.

Student
Everitt
Message 7 of 19 (18,712 Views)

After upgrading my OS from windows XP to Windows 7 my printer would not install. I also have tried everything and all recommeded drivers. I cannot run set up CD. I keep on getting the message "HP intaller set up has stopped working"

Student
techcomp
Message 8 of 19 (18,453 Views)

Downloaded the G510g-n version and installed again.  Success!

Student
411woodsy
Message 9 of 19 (18,128 Views)

What's your system info . . . pc or mac, op sys, etc.?  I'm using an old Dell Rostro 1720 running XP and the HP4500 will not install wired or wireless. I'm about to take one user's solution and trash it and get an Epson. HELP please.

Student
hairdresserzjah
Message 10 of 19 (17,967 Views)

LOL  at least I am not the only one.  That being said, I can run the printer on all my other computers but my new HP laptop with windows 7.  Have tried everything I could find, hense being here.  My printer is being seen but every time I try to print I get an error  (paper jam).  As long as I am not printing it works great. If I did not have 2 running computers on it I would love to see it at the bottom of the ever growing pile of HP tech I have unwittingly beenstuck with.  But now I have windows closing and apps not responding after getting the printer to be seen.  dShould I just restore the system, forget about printing my work docs and just e-mail them to a working station?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation